Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by VisaW
copy/paste, copy/paste.

The fact is that if you didn't know this was a reflag, the interior of the hotel looks brand new. Because it is. Reflag or not, this property has more character than any other in Waikiki, and character is lacking here.
Whoa first you have no idea of what I do for a living For the record I own a construction company and one area of our work is "reflags" second I have being going to the islands since the mid 70's and have had a number of projects over there. Not that I am an expert of this particular property I can tell you I have seen it, and it's generation of construction. If this hotel is so superior to all the other hotels why is it not rated as a "resort" by Marriott? Is that pool your idea of a resort or destination property?

Sounds to me like you could possibly know more than we do?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Whoa first you have no idea of what I do for a living For the record I own a construction company and one area of our work is "reflags" second I have being going to the islands since the mid 70's and have had a number of projects over there. Not that I am an expert of this particular property I can tell you I have seen it, and it's generation of construction. If this hotel is so superior to all the other hotels why is it not rated as a "resort" by Marriott? Is that pool your idea of a resort or destination property?

Sounds to me like you could possibly know more than we do?
I don't know any more than any of you, nor am I looking to derail this thread. The pool is nice but certainly not resort quality. The only thing I commented on was the character of the property. And that, in my opinion, is superior to the cultureless properties that litter Waikiki. Just my opinion -- one not informed by 40 years of visits to the state or a career in construction.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by VisaW
I don't know any more than any of you, nor am I looking to derail this thread. The pool is nice but certainly not resort quality. The only thing I commented on was the character of the property. And that, in my opinion, is superior to the cultureless properties that litter Waikiki. Just my opinion -- one not informed by 40 years of visits to the state or a career in construction.
as the old saying goes " beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" There is a lot of lipstick there.

Maholo
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I visited the The Laylow, Autograph Collection last week. I did not stay there, dine there, or drink there. I just wandered around the public level, one level up from the street, where, among above things, check-in, the pool, and the bar are located.

I also talked to the front desk for a minute. I confirmed that if I (Platinum) and my wife (no status) were to share a room there, we would each get a $15 food/beverage voucher for each day of our stay. That would completely pay for two continental breakfasts; or the credit could be applied toward other breakfasts. But the vouchers can also be used any time of the day, instead of at breakfast. That's a much better than what the hotel did for Rewards Gold/Platinum Elite guests when it opened.

The hotel made an excellent impression.

The corner where the hotel is located now has a lot of things going for it, besides the hotel itself. I already knew about Marukame Udon across the street, which I enjoy going to. On another corner, ABC Stores has opened a large new store and restaurant, Dukes Lane Market & Eatery, on the ground floor of the new Hyatt Centric (the former Waikiki Trade Center). Very impressive store. It's not at all like a standard ABC Store, except that ABC Store basics, like inexpensive Macadamia Nut assortments, have not been forgotten.

Next door to The Laylow in the other direction, the International Marketplace has been rebuilt as a high-end shopping center with quite a few promising restaurant choices on the top floor.

If this hotel is so superior to all the other hotels why is it not rated as a "resort" by Marriott? Is that pool your idea of a resort or destination property?
A resort would typically have multiple restaurants, extensive recreational options, and a large spa. A resort should be a destination in its own right, not just a hotel serving a larger destination. The Laylow is clearly not a resort.

It's a boutique hotel. It doesn't pretend to be a resort. And Marriott rightly does not classify it as a resort.

Not every vacation hotel has to be a resort.

as the old saying goes " beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" There is a lot of lipstick there.
If "lipstick" is defined as a thorough, well-designed renovation, then, yes, there is a lot of lipstick.
patmcpsu likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 3, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
I visited the The Laylow, Autograph Collection last week. I did not stay there, dine there, or drink there. I just wandered around the public level, one level up from the street, where, among above things, check-in, the pool, and the bar are located.

I also talked to the front desk for a minute. I confirmed that if I (Platinum) and my wife (no status) were to share a room there, we would each get a $15 food/beverage voucher for each day of our stay. That would completely pay for two continental breakfasts; or the credit could be applied toward other breakfasts. But the vouchers can also be used any time of the day, instead of at breakfast. That's a much better than what the hotel did for Rewards Gold/Platinum Elite guests when it opened.

The hotel made an excellent impression.

The corner where the hotel is located now has a lot of things going for it, besides the hotel itself. I already knew about Marukame Udon across the street, which I enjoy going to. On another corner, ABC Stores has opened a large new store and restaurant, Dukes Lane Market & Eatery, on the ground floor of the new Hyatt Centric (the former Waikiki Trade Center). Very impressive store. It's not at all like a standard ABC Store, except that ABC Store basics, like inexpensive Macadamia Nut assortments, have not been forgotten.

Next door to The Laylow in the other direction, the International Marketplace has been rebuilt as a high-end shopping center with quite a few promising restaurant choices on the top floor.

A resort would typically have multiple restaurants, extensive recreational options, and a large spa. A resort should be a destination in its own right, not just a hotel serving a larger destination. The Laylow is clearly not a resort.

It's a boutique hotel. It doesn't pretend to be a resort. And Marriott rightly does not classify it as a resort.

Not every vacation hotel has to be a resort.

If "lipstick" is defined as a thorough, well-designed renovation, then, yes, there is a lot of lipstick.

let's revisit this in say another 18 months and see how the property fairs. As I said lot's of lipstick
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Joe/Jane Public isn't going to know if the lipstick is grandma's or the trendy teenager's. My guess is the property will do fine. It's the elite experience that may/is not up to par.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:08 pm

let's revisit this in say another 18 months and see how the property fairs. As I said lot's of lipstick
That's fair.

From a physical standpoint, the future of The Laylow will depend on how well the property is maintained.

From a guest standpoint, the future of The Laylow will depend on how well it takes care of its guests -- as well as its competitive value in relation to other hotels on Waikiki, including the rest of the combined Marriott-Starwood portfolio on Waikiki.

As I already noted, The Laylow is a boutique hotel, not a self-contained resort. And, as already noted, the area around Kuhio Avenue and Duke's Lane has improved considerably.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I hate using the term "millenials", but they can't be overlooked in this case, as I believe the hotel was designed for them, and they will decide the hotel's success.

I believe the most-desired hotels in Waikiki are chasing a certain generation as its target-demo:
1) Baby Boomers: High-end, expensive full-service resorts in prime location (i.e. Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider). Customers want to be pampered in luxury, without much desire to venture off the resort.
2) Gen Xers (also Japanese, oddly): Full-service resorts in decent locations that are a little outdated (i.e Hyatt Regency, Hilton Hawaiian Village). You can get similar amenities as above but at a better value.
3) Millenials: Up-to-date hotel at a good price in a workable location, without full-service amenities (i.e. Laylow, Hyatt Centric). Customers are willing (or even eager) to eat non-resort food and a short walk to the beach isn't a problem.

I understand there are other hotels that don't fall into any of the above because they're business-oriented or simply lack identity, but hopefully you catch my drift. Also, I apologize if I made a generalization that you don't agree with.

Full disclosure: I'm 33 years old, so technically a millennial, but also close to Gen X.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:12 am

That's fair.

From a physical standpoint, the future of The Laylow will depend on how well the property is maintained.

From a guest standpoint, the future of The Laylow will depend on how well it takes care of its guests -- as well as its competitive value in relation to other hotels on Waikiki, including the rest of the combined Marriott-Starwood portfolio on Waikiki.

As I already noted, The Laylow is a boutique hotel, not a self-contained resort. And, as already noted, the area around Kuhio Avenue and Duke's Lane has improved considerably.
Thank you. I say this from a professional cynicism having seen these type of reflags repurpose as the word of the day. I use the CY nearby as an example. Look at the opening and then a "refresh" then yet another. Many complaints much like this property.

Let's move on.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I noticed that the amenity fee doesn't get calculated in the "total for stay" whereas the resort fee (at the FS Marriott) does. At least in the case of the resort fee it's a little more transparent when making the booking.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
If you stay for several days do you know if you can skip using the vouchers for a couple of days and save them up to use all together on say the 3rd day? Or do they only allow you to use each voucher on the specific day it is given for
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
If you stay for several days do you know if you can skip using the vouchers for a couple of days and save them up to use all together on say the 3rd day? Or do they only allow you to use each voucher on the specific day it is given for
Good question.

But I don't have a good answer.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Good question.

But I don't have a good answer.
Hi Guys,

I checked into this hotel yesterday on a points booking and can add some new datapoints as their policies do seem to be evolving.

As a Marriott Gold, we were upgraded to a "corner suite". This is really just a large regular room with seating behind the tv. Many other hotels would probably call it a junior suite. The room is nice though, and has two balconies, and is definitely a decent upgrade from a regular room.

We were not put on the executive level and were not given access to the snacks area on the executive floor. We were given the 2 $15 vouchers per day and I was told that the vouchers can only strictly be used on the day they are issued for i.e. each voucher has a date on it

Also, in what appears to be another new rule, the vouchers cannot be used for alcoholic drinks which is a pity. They can be used for food and non alcoholic drinks all day in the bar/restaurant. We had lunch in the restaurant and 2 burgers and 2 soft drinks still came up to nearly $30 with tip and tax after using the $30 vouchers...so not exactly a free lunch. The food is good though and the bar is nice.

BTW location and hotel wise, we are very happy with having chosen this over the Marriott. The Marriott is by the beach and seems much more suited to families with kids. The Laylow is surrounded by bars and clubs and has a nice vibe. Being two blocks from the beach does not bother us.

Also, the justification for the amenity fee is pretty weak here..
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:45 pm

how this hotel compare to Hyatt Regency? Hyatt Regency would cost nearly double for the time I want to stay at and it would be whole week..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.