Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by VisaW
To add a data point:

Just checked in here for a one night stay. Platinum with 115 nights this year and received an "upgrade" to a standard sized room on the concierge floor (aka not an upgrade). There's a basket in the room with some Kona chips, Japanese Hi-Chew candy and two pairs of Laylow sandals -- all free.

Room is very nicely adorned with mid-century furniture light pastels. Feels like I'm in Hawaii.

Breakfast will be the same as reported -- cold options along a wall by the elevators, but food vouchers offered (I took the points).

Staff has been polite and the valet quick.

Okay, time to go check out Marukame Udon.
Are they still charging an amenity/resort fee?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Did they ever since rebranding as Autograph? I think that was one of the reasons some wanted to stay at the property, no resort fee. It's not listed on the Marriott website as a resort.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:55 pm

Didn't I read earlier that there was a destination fee added?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From the booking page on marriott. com it says a US$25 destination amenity fee will be added per day

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joeags
Didn't I read earlier that there was a destination fee added?
Here's what I got searching for October dates:
US25 daily destination amenity fee will be added to room rate/US35 per night extra person fee 3rd-4th guest over age 17
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did they ever since rebranding as Autograph? I think that was one of the reasons some wanted to stay at the property, no resort fee. It's not listed on the Marriott website as a resort.

Cheers.
I think from what everyone has written short of the occasional good review I am passing in January. Had enough of substandard reflag's . If Bill Marriott was still running Marriott this would have never happened
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

From the booking page on marriott. com it says a US$25 destination amenity fee will be added per day
Yes, I was charged a $25 fee for the night. And the fee was taxed. My room rate was $189 and my total bill came to $275 ($35 for valet parking).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Yes, I was charged a $25 fee for the night. And the fee was taxed. My room rate was $189 and my total bill came to $275 ($35 for valet parking).
are these "destination amenities" the same free amenities many of us receive for being Gold/Platinum members?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, actually none of that "free" stuff in each guest room (junk food snacks, flip-flops) are "free." They're paid for by the $25 amenity fee.

In my opinion, this is outrageous given that this amenity fee is a resort fee in all but name. I would have less problem calling it a resort fee, though the property isn't a resort. The pool, which can only accomodate maybe a dozen guests, barely gets any sun.

I would encourage everyone who has considered a stay here but decided against staying to write Marriott -- someone posted the email address earlier -- because the management of this hotel is hurting Marriott and the Autograph Collection.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by CALMSP
are these "destination amenities" the same free amenities many of us receive for being Gold/Platinum members?
So, actually none of that "free" stuff in each guest room (junk food snacks, flip-flops) are "free." They're paid for by the $25 amenity fee.

In my opinion, this is outrageous given that this amenity fee is a resort fee in all but name. I would have less problem calling it a resort fee, though the property isn't a resort. The pool, which can only accomodate maybe a dozen guests, barely gets any sun.

I would encourage everyone who has considered a stay here but decided against staying to write Marriott -- someone posted the email address earlier -- because the management of this hotel is hurting Marriott and the Autograph Collection.
Fair points, as are the others further up in this post. I plan on writing to Marriott as well because the $25 charge is unwarranted. That said, I'd argue against the idea that management is hurting the Marriott name. This is a pretty nice hotel and perfectly representative of the boutique nature of Autograph properties. Yes, the amenity/resort fee is crap, but the property itself doesn't hurt the brand.

IMO, I'd still rather stay here than some cultureless Sheraton or Marriott Resort.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fair points, as are the others further up in this post. I plan on writing to Marriott as well because the $25 charge is unwarranted. That said, I'd argue against the idea that management is hurting the Marriott name. This is a pretty nice hotel and perfectly representative of the boutique nature of Autograph properties. Yes, the amenity/resort fee is crap, but the property itself doesn't hurt the brand.

IMO, I'd still rather stay here than some cultureless Sheraton or Marriott Resort.
I've shopped-around all the hotels on Waikiki; almost all of them charge a resort fee (or some euphemism) regardless of if it has "resort" in its title or if it's on the water. In fact, the few hotels that don't charge a resort fee make a big deal about how much of an exception they are.

Resort fees are a virus. Once a few hotels start charging a lower nominal rate and make it back in hidden fees, the other hotels have to do the same to remain competitive. It's obvious that customers don't mind it, or else the practice wouldn't take over entire markets (i.e: Vegas, Waikii). It won't end unless the government outlaws it as deceptive marketing (and I'm not sure if that's actually warranted).

This isn't Marriott's fault and it's not this specific property's fault. It's a bigger issue than that.

I would like for the property to be treated as a "hotel" instead of a "resort" as far as elite benefits go, which believe they currently do.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
It's obvious that customers don't mind it, or else the practice wouldn't take over entire markets (i.e: Vegas, Waikii).
While I agree these are like a virus, I don't see how you can conclude customers don't mind them. The fact is that consumers have little choice. Waikiki hotels enjoy constant demand independent of product quality, which helps to explain why most of the properties are subpar compared to what you will find elsewhere. They can still fill a crappy unrenovated property with package tour guests even without offering any meaningful elite benefits.

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
It won't end unless the government outlaws it as deceptive marketing (and I'm not sure if that's actually warranted).
IMO it's totally warranted. DOT requires "all in" airfare pricing for exactly this reason - it's inherently deceptive to market a price that doesn't include required add-ons.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
While I agree these are like a virus, I don't see how you can conclude customers don't mind them. The fact is that consumers have little choice. Waikiki hotels enjoy constant demand independent of product quality, which helps to explain why most of the properties are subpar compared to what you will find elsewhere. They can still fill a crappy unrenovated property with package tour guests even without offering any meaningful elite benefits.

IMO it's totally warranted. DOT requires "all in" airfare pricing for exactly this reason - it's inherently deceptive to market a price that doesn't include required add-ons.
The "resort fees' are a shame and everyone knows it. And this property is no different. It's a reflag of an very old property in Honolulu much like the CY which got an equal degree of flak and has "refreshed" twice since.

If Bill Marriott was still running the company this would have never happened
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
If Bill Marriott was still running the company this would have never happened
copy/paste, copy/paste.

The fact is that if you didn't know this was a reflag, the interior of the hotel looks brand new. Because it is. Reflag or not, this property has more character than any other in Waikiki, and character is lacking here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.