Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newth...ewthread&f=427

Cat 7.

Excerpt:

"Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAR) today announces the upcoming addition of Courtyard Edinburgh to its portfolio in Scotland. Opened on 28 December, the city centre hotel is set within a historic Georgian terrace located in the heart of Edinburgh’s new shopping and entertainment hub at the east end of Princes Street. The flagship property has been part of a £30m restoration project to combine both heritage and contemporary style.

With a total of 240 rooms, Courtyard Edinburgh extends through three adjoining Georgian townhouses and into a new building connected by glassed walkways to the rear, offering a variety of views of Calton Hill, Edinburgh’s New Town and across the Firth of Forth.

The hotel’s Baxter’s Place address was once home to Robert Stevenson, the famous Scottish lighthouse engineer and the grandfather of ‘Treasure Island’ author Robert Louis Stevenson. References to its heritage, carefully presented with the help of the Stevenson family and the Northern Lighthouse Board, appear in the public areas and in every room, through images, technical drawings and maps.

The Lantern Room restaurant and bar, in the hotel’s bright ground floor lobby, takes its inspiration from Scotland’s sea-faring history. A vibrant and modern space to meet for coffee or cocktails, working lunch, pre-theatre dinner or late night supper, it also extends on to an outdoor terrace where drinks will be served."

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tra...ard-edinburgh/

Looks like they have an opening bonus points promo:

"Earn 4,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per stay!
Explore the city's notable local destinations and attractions from the NEW Courtyard by Marriott Edinburgh. From January 1 - March 26, 2017, earn 4,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per stay, 7 days a week!

Promo code: M11

Terms & Conditions:
Minimum 24 hour window between consecutive bookings applies. Back to back stays are considered one stay. Guest must book reservation using promotional code listed above in order to receive bonus points. Offer applies to one regular room per stay, per member on dates listed. A "hotel stay" or "stay" means all consecutive nights spent with Marriott by a registered Marriott Rewards member. Offer not available during special events; tax is additional; special offers cannot be combined; blackout dates may exist; advance reservations are required. Offer does not apply to groups of 10 or more rooms. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion."
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Anyone stayed here? How does it compare, vis-a-vis the Sheraton?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I haven't stayed here but its in a good part of town. Not far from the tram stop at York Place (so easy access coming from the airport) with lots of bars and restaurants round about it. The Glasshouse is the other side of the Playhouse (main theatre in Edinburgh) and you're right beside the Omni Centre too which has bars, restaurants, a cinema and a fitness centre.

However having stayed in other Courtyards in Scotland, comparing one to the other is like comparing chalk and cheese - the Sheraton is a full service hotel with lots of amenities ie leisure facilities whereas the Courtyard doesn't. You will still be able to get food & drink but again not to the same full range as the Sheraton (or even a Marriott) has.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
We stayed at the Glasshouse last year during the International Festival (August), when the CY was under construction. Obviously, I would know nothing about the interior (it was just the frame at that time), but will confirm the location is great. It is, as noted, about a block or so from the end point of the tram from the airport - inexpensive and the easy way to get into town - and a short walk to the Waverly train station. Also a bus stop within several meters of the front door for additional transportation options.

Last edited by ExArkie; Aug 1, 2018 at 7:52 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ExArkie
We stayed at the Glasshouse last year during the International Festival (August), when the CY was under construction. Obviously, I would know nothing about the interior (it was just the frame at that time), but will confirm the location is great. It is, as noted, about a block or so from the end point of the tram from the airport - inexpensive and the easy way to get into town - and a short walk to the Waverly train station. Also a bus stop within several meters of the front door for additional transportation options.
I stayed at the Glasshouse, Autograph Collection in May 2017 and wasn't that impressed especially compared to the other YTL-owned hotels that I've stayed at in other locations. The rooms could use an updating and the service was closer to 3-star, rather the purported 5-star service.

The biggest issue was parking. But they were also playing games with room availability for award redemption; for example, the property wouldn't let me book a multiple night stay as one reservation, despite availability and despite a call from the Marriott platinum premier desk to the property directly. Instead, I had to book separate reservations.

Regardless, both properties are basically in the same location and are within 10-15 minutes by foot of most Edinburgh touristy destinations. I've done Paris, London, etc. Edinburgh was surprisingly nice, but for most people there probably isn't much to see or do after two nights, three days. I couldn't imagine spending five or six nights here.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Any recent updates on this property? I am traveling to Edinburgh with my father next month and need a room with two beds, this Courtyard seems to be one of the more reasonable options to meet that need. We will be taking the train in from Glasgow, a day trip to Dundee, and then leaving via train so I want to be relatively close to the train station, this looks like an easy walk. However I am also looking at the Hilton Carlton (I am Hilton Gold vs. Marriott Titanium) across the street from the train, it's a bit more expensive but not sure if it will be a better experience. I would appreciate any updates on this property.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Trip Advisor will give you more recent reviews of stays there. Its not too far to walk from the Courtyard to Waverley Station (uphill on the way there) or an alternative would be to take the tram from York Place to Haymarket Station (it stops right at the station) and get the train there instead.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I slept here in March 2018 after some nights spent at the Marriott Edinburgh (those near the airport), and everything was very good.
This Courtyard hotel is located in a beautiful typical stone building, just in the city center, next to a theatre and some bars and pubs.
You can walk to the central railway station, main street and walk up to the Castle.
Our room was nice, not very large but with wonderful views on the hill: I don't think I received my Platinum room upgrade since the room seemed a standard one.
Breakfast was included in the rate I chose: a great spread of food and staff always smiling.
I could come back, location is great and the full service Marriott hotel (airport) has NO LOUNGE in Edinburgh, so not a big difference.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nequine
or an alternative would be to take the tram from York Place to Haymarket Station (it stops right at the station) and get the train there instead.
Thanks for the suggestion, my father may find it amusing to get off at Haymarket and ride the tram, I think it's been a very long time since he's been on one.

Thanks for the updates.
nequine likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Stayed there with my wife during a trip to UK where we spent about a week in London then went to Edinburgh for 3 nights. We took the Caledonian sleeper there then back to London on a day train. The Courtyard was a fairly easy walk from Waverley, though make sure you get up the exit right next to Balmoral Hotel (with escalators). We went up the opposite side when we arrived and it made for a fairly miserable walk around the station in the cold rain. We used SNA for an upgrade. But it was basically a corner room and wasn't sure if that was worth it. We also chose the platinum amenity (I think was 10 pounds of F&B credit per person per day) which means you pay 5 pounds per person for breakfast. It was just convenient as I wouldn't call the breakfast great. I think it was just slightly better than the free breakfast we had in Residence Inn in London. When we were there breakfast was surprisingly busy and there was often a wait for food to be replenished or tables to be cleared. Room itself was cozy and fairly plush, if a bit small (I think our corner room's balcony actually reduced the interior size). I especially like the nice walk up Calton Hill from behind the hotel. Overall I think it was OK. Fairly convenient for tourists, but I would probably look for other alternatives if I go to Edinburgh again.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Chihster
Stayed there with my wife during a trip to UK where we spent about a week in London then went to Edinburgh for 3 nights. We took the Caledonian sleeper there then back to London on a day train. The Courtyard was a fairly easy walk from Waverley, though make sure you get up the exit right next to Balmoral Hotel (with escalators). We went up the opposite side when we arrived and it made for a fairly miserable walk around the station in the cold rain. We used SNA for an upgrade. But it was basically a corner room and wasn't sure if that was worth it. We also chose the platinum amenity (I think was 10 pounds of F&B credit per person per day) which means you pay 5 pounds per person for breakfast. It was just convenient as I wouldn't call the breakfast great. I think it was just slightly better than the free breakfast we had in Residence Inn in London. When we were there breakfast was surprisingly busy and there was often a wait for food to be replenished or tables to be cleared. Room itself was cozy and fairly plush, if a bit small (I think our corner room's balcony actually reduced the interior size). I especially like the nice walk up Calton Hill from behind the hotel. Overall I think it was OK. Fairly convenient for tourists, but I would probably look for other alternatives if I go to Edinburgh again.
Sorry if I am going a little bit OT but how was your Caledonian Sleeper experience? I am thinking about this Scottish trip for the near future
Thanks!
Old May 5, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Sorry if I am going a little bit OT but how was your Caledonian Sleeper experience? I am thinking about this Scottish trip for the near future
Thanks!
Wife and I liked it a lot. We were on the "old" carriage. Room is very tight. But has a wash basin for brushing teeth and things. Bed was comfortable and wife and I slept much better than expected. Toilet is communal and at end of train though. But overall we think it is a better alternative to day trains which we found to be too crowded and seating tight. AC in day train also very warm. I would definitely recommend the Caledonian Sleeper.
River in Sight likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Chihster
The Courtyard was a fairly easy walk from Waverley, though make sure you get up the exit right next to Balmoral Hotel (with escalators).
There is also another entrance/exit to the station which may be easier for this hotel.

From the hotel heading towards the station as you pass the Starbucks Leith Street on the left hand side there is a road that goes down to the left adjacent to the Black Bull Pub (Calton Road). The entrance to the station is about two minutes down there on the right hand side. When walking towards it you will see steps, however if you walk past the steps there is a taxi drop off area just behind the steps and there is a lift there.

Leaving the station going to the hotel head for Platform 2/Calton Rd exit. If you exit using the steps walk straight on and follow the road, if using the lift walk out the drop off area and turn left.

The entrance/exit is on the bottom right of the attached picture of the station map.

nequine likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:03 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I stayed at the Edinburgh courtyard for 3 nights in July. The hotel location is quite good (IMO) and close to the main rail station and to a tram stop which connects to the airport.

The hotel itself blends in a bit with the surroundings and we nearly missed it walking by the first time. The staff was friendly and we did not have any issues at the hotel. As a Platinum Elite we could choice points or a 10 GBP meal voucher, per person, per day. We decided to do this as it covered the majority of the hotel breakfast cost. However the breakfast was not that great so we ordered some items a la carte from the bar on the main level for two of the mornings.

We were given an upgraded room on the 8th floor. However it is not always clear to us what an upgraded room means for Marriott - maybe it was a bit more spacious but otherwise seemed like a normal room. A/C worked well and the shower was fine also. There is a small business center one floor down from the lobby. We did not try the hotel gym.

Some pictures from our stay: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...ard-edinburgh/
Old May 3, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Just completed a 3 night stay here now that Scotland is reopening. Normally I would look for a higher grade hotel but I could not resist a speculative booking at £50 per night when the reopening timetable was still unconfirmed.

The hotel was very busy, I believe in part due to the £50 rate appearing on the hotukdeals website a few weeks back, which drew in a diverse crowd.

Based on the limited types of rooms and comments earlier in this thread, I kept my upgrade expectations in check. We were upgraded prior to arrival to a superior room on the 6th floor, facing the church behind, which is what I was hoping for.

Check in was confusing and the staff member was trying to read a post it note with elite benefits. He eventually concluded that as a Titanium member we would get a £7.50 credit x 2. The breakfast is £10 per person but discounted to £7.50 for Titanium members. So in short, free breakfast for 2. Ultimately we didn't end up eating the breakfast as queues were too long and we we were not impressed by the spread (you could pick Scottish or vegetarian and it was served to the table). There are a number of cafes and restaurants outside offering breakfast for less than £10 per person.

The king bed was comfortable, the AC worked well and the bathroom was clean. Apart from one night when a car alarm went off outside, we slept well. There were unfortunately stains on the carpet and water pressure was very weak.

The hotel location is excellent, with all of the attractions in walking distance. It's extremely convenient from the main train station, but take note of the advice above about using the platform 2 entrance/exit.

Overall, happy with the stay given the price. However, I would struggle to justify spending over £100 per night at this hotel as we hopefully return to more normal times.
nequine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.