Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by zakami
I would guess the dependency is upgrading the hotels and not the members.
That makes more sense than my thoughts. Which sadly, likely pushes out the full integration way into the unknown.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by saint
As a follow up question to this question (as I had the same question) but when I signed up for the Chase Marriott Rewards Business Visa (https://creditcards.chase.com/small-...emier-business) It said (and still says on the link) that it comes with Category 5 (up to 35,000 points hotels). But when I log into my Marriott account, it says it's only up to 25,000 points. What gives? Why is it only showing up to 25,000 points when the terms and conditions when I signed up show 35,000 points?
Same here. I've gone from holding a pre-merger Marriott 1-5 Cat cert good up to 35k/night to a post-merger Marriott cert good up to 25k/night. Hmmmm.... wonder if/when that will be corrected.
polyesther likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

Two days ago, I had an incompetent CSR who was supposed to use my travel package to book a 6 night stay. Instead she used my 1 night cert plus 70k points. When I cancelled, only the 70k points were returned. When I called, the CSR told me that she couldn't see my cert. Has anyone had similar experience? I wrote to Customrer Service.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
So, on Monday, I tried to book my free night certificate from the Chase Marriott Business card for hotels up to 25K. I have not had an anniversary night from Marriott before. I was using the app and I thought it would just apply at checkout, but it didn't, either I missed a step or booking certificates don't work on the app. Since my points have been exhausted to just 106 points, I did get a warning I will need to earn more points before the actual stay. I clicked on book anyway because I could always cancel it if it didn't work (The booking was for 11/10 and I had until 11/8 to cancel without penalty). I went to the full website and booked the free night certificate that way. Unfortunately for me, I never checked on the two bookings until I got the confirmation emails for both 2 hours later. With the exception of the confirmation number I could not see the difference between the two bookings. It doesn't show which booking had the free night attached as far as I could tell. So early today, I cancelled both of them finally. But now after waiting for four hours, the free night certificate has not gone back to my account. How long do I have to wait or is the free night certificate lost?
You should be able to tell which reservation has the cert as it would show, "this reservation has eCert ordered" or similar language, showing on the top of the reservation - at least that is how it shows on the web.

I truly believe in this unusual time, it is BETTER to do bookings with the oldfashioned web site versus using the App.
Always make a screenshot of what you have done because email communication is wonky. A rep told me the reason why I did not receive email confirmation of a booking was because "your account is coded to NOT to receive any communication!" Of course I would never have had such setting, and as late as Aug 19 I received email confirmations! So she went in my account to correct that mysterious setting.

Certs of any kind are NOT returning when the underlying reservations are canceled. That has been the SAD state now. This has caused many people to spend hours on the phone trying to fix it.

If you need your cert back soon for the booking, you will need to call. The cert would not return by itself.

Originally Posted by cooperhs
Two days ago, I had an incompetent CSR who was supposed to use my travel package to book a 6 night stay. Instead she used my 1 night cert plus 70k points. When I cancelled, only the 70k points were returned. When I called, the CSR told me that she couldn't see my cert. Has anyone had similar experience? I wrote to Customrer Service.
Currently cert from travel package can NOT be used regardless what we were told by Marriott Rewards Insider in the post issued on Aug 20th.
There must have been some misunderstanding by the CSR that has caused the usage of your one night cert + points as you booked a nonconventional stay (6 nights versus the 7 nights package, or you intend to use a 5 nights package + 1 Chase FN - the thing is, Travel Package Cert is NOT usable until after the original lock down period, and we would not know IF that would even happen given how things are going now.

We the customers have to learn how to protect ourselves, in the way of doing some extra works to avoid getting ourselves in a situation that nobody at Marriott could help or willing to help when we are in this gigantic mess. It is almost akin to thinking of defensive driving...

Your course of action is to CALL if you want it fixed while the audit trail is still fresh and easy to follow.

You would be lucky to get a reply from Customer Service in a week's time, or ever.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by cooperhs
could also be an issue with the merger...my chase free night cert is no longer attached to a booking i made before the merger and also isnt showing in my account
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Brendan
Shand, you should be able to book with your cert online. Ask for a 1-night stay, and it should ask you if you want to use your Chase cert or points or wait to issue the cert. If "using your Chase cert" is not offered, then choose to wait, then call MR to ask them to attach your Chase cert to your res!
But you can't book a 35K hotel with 25K cert...
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, WestJet Rewards, Marriott Rewards
I have a related question: we also have one of the Chase Anniversary One Free Night up to 25,000 points e-certificates. We are interested in booking a hotel that would require 35,000 points. Does anyone know if we would be able to use our free night e-certificate and top up the remaining 10,000 points from our account as payment?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Back before the merger, you could not upgrade the Chase cert, it was limited to the old cat 1-5. I imagine that part hasn't changed.
polyesther likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by polyesther
I have a related question: we also have one of the Chase Anniversary One Free Night up to 25,000 points e-certificates. We are interested in booking a hotel that would require 35,000 points. Does anyone know if we would be able to use our free night e-certificate and top up the remaining 10,000 points from our account as payment?
Hi I did call Marriott and asked them about this, and they said unfortunately it's not possible.
polyesther likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Am I correct in believing that the Chase free night cert I get in Oct/Nov, from the MR Business card I've had for 2 + yrs, will now be good for rooms up to 35K/night?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Am I correct in believing that the Chase free night cert I get in Oct/Nov, from the MR Business card I've had for 2 + yrs, will now be good for rooms up to 35K/night?
I don’t think so. My existing cert (formerly cat 5) for this card converted to a 25K-max cert.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I don’t think so. My existing cert (formerly cat 5) for this card converted to a 25K-max cert.
Well, I guess I'll find out in Oct/Nov. I know the existing ones, like yours, stayed at a max. of 25K. Seem to remember reading somewhere that future ones would be the same as the ones issued with the new cards=35K. Hmmm....
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by philemer
Well, I guess I'll find out in Oct/Nov. I know the existing ones, like yours, stayed at a max. of 25K. Seem to remember reading somewhere that future ones would be the same as the ones issued with the new cards=35K. Hmmm....
The Amex SPG cert is going to 35k. The legacy Chase Marriott stays at 25k.
Brendan, beltway, Happy and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Geesh, burst my bubble.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
And you should have received emails to inform you such. At least the AMEX SPG side has emails to inform the annual FN and it is 35K. Matter of fact, a friend's AMEX SPG FN cert is already deposited into her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.