Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:59 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:52 pm
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by psychtobe
not to belabor the point... but the e-cert says 'non-transferable' - what does that mean exactly? Does that mean I'm the only one who can redeem it (from my account)? Or that I have to actually stay in the room? Can I make a reservation for my sister, for example?
Strictly speaking, only you can use the cert. But with that said, I have used one of my wife's certs before and she has used one of mine. What I did in those situations is made the reservations in the name of the person on the cert. So even though the cert has my name and the reservation had my name, my wife had no problems checking in and using the cert.

Haven't really tried it with someone that doesn't have the same last name as I do though. And again, I would guess that technically the hotel could have decided that my wife should not be able to use the cert that had my name on it and made her pay whatever the prevailing rate was.

Now with the certs becoming e-certs, I'm not sure how that will effect their use. But I suspect that if the hotel will let my wife check-in as if it were me checking in, then her stay, without me there, could have the e-cert pulled from my account. But that is a guess.
Old May 2, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
And here I thought I hadn't even been issued my free night yet! I didn't receive ANYTHING saying that my free night was available, not via email OR snail mail -- nada. When I checked my account, there it is, but in a very weird place - the "debit" column! At first I thought I needed to call them to say, "Hey! I didn't even know I had it, and now you've taken it away!" But then I saw that it was unused. Also, I didn't even get my card until early April, but the free night cert. was issued on March 8 - ???

To me, this is a HUGE disappointment re: the way Marriott is handling it, particularly in the no-notification dept. Do they really have to be that sneaky, to issue a certificate for a free night, don't tell you it's there, and then hope you don't find it until it's expired? Jeez.
Old May 3, 2007, 9:23 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

I am sorry for any inconvenience, AJSpark. We send out a buck slip via mail which states that the activation category 1-4 certificate was issued as an electronic certificate, so we do notify our members. I apologize if you did not receive this notification.

Originally Posted by AJSpark
And here I thought I hadn't even been issued my free night yet! I didn't receive ANYTHING saying that my free night was available, not via email OR snail mail -- nada. When I checked my account, there it is, but in a very weird place - the "debit" column! At first I thought I needed to call them to say, "Hey! I didn't even know I had it, and now you've taken it away!" But then I saw that it was unused. Also, I didn't even get my card until early April, but the free night cert. was issued on March 8 - ???

To me, this is a HUGE disappointment re: the way Marriott is handling it, particularly in the no-notification dept. Do they really have to be that sneaky, to issue a certificate for a free night, don't tell you it's there, and then hope you don't find it until it's expired? Jeez.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
I am sorry for any inconvenience, AJSpark. We send out a buck slip via mail which states that the activation category 1-4 certificate was issued as an electronic certificate, so we do notify our members. I apologize if you did not receive this notification.
Chris, Mrs. MileKing received the "buck slip" with her new Marriott VISA credit card. However, it is a generic note which only states the cert has been issued electronically. In her on-line account, there is no mention of a E-cert # so it appears the only way to apply the cert is to call reservations, have them locate the E-cert #, and then apply it. In our case, the rep was not able to apply the cert to our existing award reservation and told us to take the cert # to the hotel and they will apply at check-in. Do the reps need to do anything special to apply the cert to an existing reservation?
Old May 4, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mariott Plat
It is definitely electronic now, but even the customer care people don't know this yet. One person had to put me on hold and check. Apparently it just started this week? Thats what she said to me on the phone, anyways.
Old May 4, 2007, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Two weeks ago, I applied my e-certificate to an existing reservation via the phone. The process took about 90 seconds.

It seems to me that some people are trying to create a non-existent problem. The certificate is credited too fast, can't be misplaced and is too easy to use.
Old May 4, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
The certificate is credited too fast, can't be misplaced and is too easy to use.
And unless you know where/how to look for it, it will be completely invisible.
Old May 4, 2007, 9:25 pm

It is posted on the first screen of "Marriott Rewards Account Activity." Where should it be located to make it more intuitive?
Old May 4, 2007, 10:49 pm

I agree that if you know to check your online statement it isn't hard to see, but your making an assumption that everyone will periodically check their online account statements to see if they have received an e-cert. Considering that these certs have not be delivered via e-certs in the past, why would someone suddenly think to check online to see if they have it there?
Old May 5, 2007, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
your making an assumption that everyone will periodically check their online account statements
Silly me.
Old May 24, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
If I want to book a 2-night stay, one night with points and one night using this visa e-cert, do I need to book each night separately or can it be booked together?
Old May 24, 2007, 9:10 pm

There shouldn't be any issue with making one reservation for two nights. But for this to work, you don't want the online reservation tool to order the award cert for you as it would pull the point needed for a 2 night award. You will need to call MR and have them order you a 1-night e-cert.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Are these good for a solo nights stay during the week? or are they weekend only?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Valid 7 days a week. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.