Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best value for money property for 1 week stay in Thailand

Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am looking to spend about a week or so with my partner in Thailand, this will be in early July 2023.

I have Titanium status with Marriott Bonvoy.

Any suggestions on a hotel either in Bangkok or elsewhere which is good value for money, preferably with a kitchenette and/or a full size fridge if possible.

The ability to cook/reheat or at least store some leftovers in the fridge would be good.

The purpose of the trip is to unwind rather than explore extensively.

Thank you
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by wonderfultravels
Hello,

I am looking to spend about a week or so with my partner in Thailand, this will be in early July 2023.

I have Titanium status with Marriott Bonvoy.

Any suggestions on a hotel either in Bangkok or elsewhere which is good value for money, preferably with a kitchenette and/or a full size fridge if possible.

The ability to cook/reheat or at least store some leftovers in the fridge would be good.

The purpose of the trip is to unwind rather than explore extensively.

Thank you
The Kitchenette and Full Size Fridge in Bangkok would point toward one of the Executive Apartments. Not sure how "good value for money" they represent. Lack of benefits / earnings are significant when compared to regular hotels.
Will likely be in the ~$150 USD per night range.

Most hotel rooms will have a hotel-sized fridge, but I can't recall seeing microwaves in any of them. Food is so readily available and reasonably priced, there doesn't seem much demand, especially with good lounge options.
Is this related to dietary restrictions or something?

For week + stays in Thailand, I have left Marriott and just rent a condo locally. I am usually in the Pattaya area and for ~$50 USD there are nice, high-quality options with full kitchen, great pools, walkable to beach, etc.

I am sure similar options exist in other popular areas.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:02 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Have you done any research at all in order to narrow down your search? There's tons of Information available.
wonderfultravels likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Perhaps you could provide some clarity to these areas in order to get some useful advice:

1. Bangkok vs Beach
Two very different types of holiday and two very different types of activities to unwind - how will you want to unwind?

2. Titanium Benefits vs Cheap Room
You mention you are Titanium which implies you're looking for elite benefits. You'll only get free food and booze in lounges in Bangkok. You'll get free breakfasts at beach resorts. If you're looking for best lounge benefits in Bangkok then there's a thread that already covers this. So how are you defining "good value"? Certainly, you'll not be heading to any Bonvoy hotel on Samui. If you're not after lounge benefits then value would equate directly to price which the Marriott web site can help you with for your dates.

3. Kitchenette in a Hotel Room
This is the deal-breaker when it comes to Bonvoy hotels in Thailand. As has been pointed out there are some executive apartments in Bangkok but that's about it. Food in Thailand is good and cheap and Bonvoy hotels really do not address self-catering. So, if you must cook for yourself, store food, and reheat it then you're looking at booking an AirBNB or similar which will be cheaper anyway and your Bonvoy status would be irrelevent.

If you don't know Thailand then I'd suggest in a week you spend 2-3 nights in Bangkok at a hotel with a decent lounge for that experience (specific hotel and location depends on what flavour of nightlife you're likely to want) and the rest of it at a beach resort. For the resort you have to decide if you want to be isolated (example value location Le Meridien Khao Lak) or near some night activity (example value location: Four Points Patong or Marriott Hua Hin). The best value Bonvoy hotels I've found are the all inclusive packages at Le Meridien Khao Lak and even better the Phuket Marriott Merlin Beach where storing and reheating food is especially irrelevant because you can eat what you like when you like.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
To throw in a couple of options, "near" Bangkok (i.e. a 2-3 hour drive away), and the following will be cheap (ish, by Marriott standard) - but no kitchenette as far as I am aware. I suspect that a central Bangkok hotel may also be cheaper than any of these options, but they are more beach-resort places:
  1. Renaissance Pattaya Resort & Spa - Not actually in Pattaya, but a nice place with a beach, though you will live in the hotel so any "value" is likely to be eroded in spending.
  2. Courtyard by Marriott North Pattaya - In the middle of Pattaya, you could likely eat and live cheaply here most nights, but ultimately it is a Courtyard hotel. It is more cheap than good value I'd suggest
  3. Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa - Likely to be the cheapest resort around the Bangkok coastline. Reviews say it is a bit run-down (it's why I haven't stayed yet, I keep returning to the Renaissance Pattaya), but it will give you beach and relaxing for probably 20% less than any of the Pattaya hotels
  4. Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa - There are a couple of Marriott hotels in Hua Hin, again the same idea as the ones above, by a beach, about 3 hours from Bangkok, nice hotel, going to be cheaper than Phuket most of the time, busy at weekends with Bangkok residents and a reasonable hotel. Believe this one is cheaper than the Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa
  5. Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas - Moving away from cheap, but if you want more of a "home", then these could be for you. I haven't stayed but there are mixed reviews on elite benefits since your chance of an upgrade is limited
wonderfultravels likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As others have suggested, take the kitchenette or a Marriott. The one good option is the Marriott Surawongse apartment, but its not a value option by thai standards.

Kitchens arent massively in demand in Thailand as good is so good and cheap. One thing to bear in mind
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
The Kitchenette and Full Size Fridge in Bangkok would point toward one of the Executive Apartments. Not sure how "good value for money" they represent. Lack of benefits / earnings are significant when compared to regular hotels.
Will likely be in the ~$150 USD per night range.

Most hotel rooms will have a hotel-sized fridge, but I can't recall seeing microwaves in any of them. Food is so readily available and reasonably priced, there doesn't seem much demand, especially with good lounge options.
Is this related to dietary restrictions or something?

For week + stays in Thailand, I have left Marriott and just rent a condo locally. I am usually in the Pattaya area and for ~$50 USD there are nice, high-quality options with full kitchen, great pools, walkable to beach, etc.

I am sure similar options exist in other popular areas.
Thank you. No there are no dietary restrictions. It seems as if food options are plenty and of varying price points.

Any recommendations on a good condo for a week in Pattaya?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Have you done any research at all in order to narrow down your search? There's tons of Information available.
Thank you, I will search the forum.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Perhaps you could provide some clarity to these areas in order to get some useful advice:

1. Bangkok vs Beach
Two very different types of holiday and two very different types of activities to unwind - how will you want to unwind?

2. Titanium Benefits vs Cheap Room
You mention you are Titanium which implies you're looking for elite benefits. You'll only get free food and booze in lounges in Bangkok. You'll get free breakfasts at beach resorts. If you're looking for best lounge benefits in Bangkok then there's a thread that already covers this. So how are you defining "good value"? Certainly, you'll not be heading to any Bonvoy hotel on Samui. If you're not after lounge benefits then value would equate directly to price which the Marriott web site can help you with for your dates.

3. Kitchenette in a Hotel Room
This is the deal-breaker when it comes to Bonvoy hotels in Thailand. As has been pointed out there are some executive apartments in Bangkok but that's about it. Food in Thailand is good and cheap and Bonvoy hotels really do not address self-catering. So, if you must cook for yourself, store food, and reheat it then you're looking at booking an AirBNB or similar which will be cheaper anyway and your Bonvoy status would be irrelevent.

If you don't know Thailand then I'd suggest in a week you spend 2-3 nights in Bangkok at a hotel with a decent lounge for that experience (specific hotel and location depends on what flavour of nightlife you're likely to want) and the rest of it at a beach resort. For the resort you have to decide if you want to be isolated (example value location Le Meridien Khao Lak) or near some night activity (example value location: Four Points Patong or Marriott Hua Hin). The best value Bonvoy hotels I've found are the all inclusive packages at Le Meridien Khao Lak and even better the Phuket Marriott Merlin Beach where storing and reheating food is especially irrelevant because you can eat what you like when you like.
Thank you I will look into these
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As others have suggested, take the kitchenette or a Marriott. The one good option is the Marriott Surawongse apartment, but its not a value option by thai standards.

Kitchens arent massively in demand in Thailand as good is so good and cheap. One thing to bear in mind
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.