Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by estnet
Well, Vietnam is Paris and the cost of food is not even close. If Gold can forgo 1000 pt as well as Plat then it's a good deal (even better if it's multiple nights), BUT even tho there are lots of choices I found the buffet food poorly prepared (with the exception of fresh fruit, coffee made to order, pastries (excellent) and fresh coconuts). UMMV
OK, maybe the difference was all my food was freshly prepared and served to me piping hot. Sometimes, a compassionate diet pays off.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, I'm bewildered. All the high end hotels I've stayed at in France (mind you it was Paris), charge at least 45 Euros for a much smaller breakfast buffet (along the lines of a NA breakfast buffet).

I suggest you splurge on breakfast and skip lunch. That's what I did every day.
I’m sure breakfast is great, but spending almost $1,000 on breakfast for our stay is excessive, especially relative to food prices in Vietnam. 50-90€ for breakfast in France is more palatable considering the cost of dining in France.

We had budgeted a $200 average food allowance per day for our stay, plus a separate trip or two to the Pink Pearl. Having to spend half of that on breakfast alone makes me look into spending my dollars elsewhere. I’m sure it’s of little concern to the hotel, but I’ll have the same amount of enjoyment either way.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Hi Estnet how were the prices in the local restaurants and were there a variety to chose from?
Prices are dirt cheap by our standards eg they charge local prices - but the places are local - that is small plastic chairs no tablecloth and a bit of a challenge communicating - but if you put up with that - pho and bahn mi, dumplings, etc around usd 1, a restaurant we went to with about a kilo of squid, a kilo of shrimp, fried noodles and I think some vegetables was less than $10 for 4 people (bring your own water if you want or beer with ice cubes is available but none of us drank beer) There are banh mi stands at variable times and places as well as little shops selling dumplings (can't remember all I saw, but I know there was more I wanted to try than I was able)
The restaurants at the night market (the one on the other end of the island you can get to by bus from the resort) prices are a bit higher as are the restaurants near there, but I had a perfectly good shrimp and rice dish at a white table cloth restaurant there with English translations for around $4-5 cooked to order. Even the places in the actual night market were not near the prices of the resort and you can see the seafood out front and they cater to tourists so there are lots of translations and usually someone who speaks English (or many other languages - esp Russian, Chinese, etc)
The local town (which is a 1 or 2 dollar taxi ride) has lots of local places - we ate at a beef pho restaurant where I don't think anything was over $2 - had an English menu and everything was cooked to order and REALLY good. I got a barbecued pigeon from a small stand accross the street - it was 2 for $1 and tasted wonderful. Basically the more adventurous you are and if you don't need 5 star surroundings and know how to point and smile you can eat for almost nothing. Remember - there are lots of locals who live there and for what meals cost at a 5 star hotel they'd probably have to spend a years salary (YES a YEAR) for one meal.
I had some recs from someone who no longer works there and from the gm, but ended up at some random places and had much better (as well as cheaper) food every time.
If you walk to the main road and turn left there are a bunch of small local places IIRC fewer to the right. The town is not too far but with the traffic and no lighting I wouldn't recommend walking
This is based on my experience a year ago.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:22 am

We enjoyed our first seven night stay last year (family of five in two rooms). We’re heading out travelling again and our youngest (12) has the JW Phu Quoc as his only request. Our experience the first time http://www.somewhatoutthere.com/phu-quoc-vacation-trip/ was excellent.

Breakfast was extensive. The three kids weren’t often interested in eating more than breakfast and the evening Platinum appetizers. DH and I went out to the main road for dinner a couple times. But I wouldn’t have wanted to do that for breakfast.

I do agree with @Too_Fly1, almost $1000 for just breakfasts is steep. Though it would last long into the day. I recall most other meals were priced more reasonably. Still not for the Vietnam but well priced for the brand.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
I am Titanium Elite this year (woot!). If I forgo the amenity bonus points, and choose the breakfast benefit, does that apply to all guests in the room or just me? E.g. if I stay with my husband and daughter, can my husband get the breakfast free, too? I know I would have to pay for the third person (daughter is 17yrs) normally.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brituchenite
I am Titanium Elite this year (woot!). If I forgo the amenity bonus points, and choose the breakfast benefit, does that apply to all guests in the room or just me? E.g. if I stay with my husband and daughter, can my husband get the breakfast free, too? I know I would have to pay for the third person (daughter is 17yrs) normally.
Breakfast is always for Plat member +1. Hotel may offer it for other guests, but they don’t have to.
Brituchenite likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
Originally Posted by luxk69
The compensation is for the entire stay.
We walked up to the Premier village with the activity team last year, as they had only a soft opening, they would not let us visit a room.
My understanding is, that even though it is the same Vietnamese owner as the JW, this one is under Accorhotel management. They don't have this beatiful French colonial style that I appreciate at the JW.
A new Sheraton will open next year after a 2 years delay, will see if we go there if we ever come back to Phu Quoc
Update on our stay in March.
After a bumpy booking procedure, we were warmly welcomed by the front office manager himself to apologize for the inconvenience. In fact, all the staff encountered apologized for the cancelled nights. During our entire stay we were treated as VIP, we got upgraded to a beautiful seafront room on the 6th floor of the Seashell building. A huge fruit basket, fresh coconut drinks and a voucher for complimentary cocktails at the Chemistry Bar were awaiting us.
As promised, when we returned from our 3 days away to another hotel, we were lodged in the Turquoise Suite in the same building for our remaining 4 nights, with beautiful views of the seashell pool and the bay. We could not ask for a better room, really fabulous.
At breakfast, guest relation staff stopped every day to inquire and chat, we felt really welcomed as valued guests. They even arranged complimentary transportation to the airport for our return. The hotel successfully made up for the cancelled nights, highly appreciated.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:48 pm

Update on our stay in March.
After a bumpy booking procedure, we were warmly welcomed by the front office manager himself to apologize for the inconvenience. In fact, all the staff encountered apologized for the cancelled nights. During our entire stay we were treated as VIP, we got upgraded to a beautiful seafront room on the 6th floor of the Seashell building. A huge fruit basket, fresh coconut drinks and a voucher for complimentary cocktails at the Chemistry Bar were awaiting us.
As promised, when we returned from our 3 days away to another hotel, we were lodged in the Turquoise Suite in the same building for our remaining 4 nights, with beautiful views of the seashell pool and the bay. We could not ask for a better room, really fabulous.
At breakfast, guest relation staff stopped every day to inquire and chat, we felt really welcomed as valued guests. They even arranged complimentary transportation to the airport for our return. The hotel successfully made up for the cancelled nights, highly appreciated.
Seems like you were not the only ones displaced for the wedding as there are a few reviews on TA mentioning it.

Also, for the people that have been, what's the general consensus on the Pink Pearl? Worth the tariff?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:56 am

We had a 3course set menu at the Pink Pearl restaurant. Last year we didn't want to try as they were offering Thai food, being a pop-up restaurant at the time, they changed the menu and the chef every few months. It appears that it was difficult to get a good chef committing for only a short period of time, so they have settled for fine Frensh cuisine which fits perfectly to this French colonial decor. What a better choice. In my opinion, the price justifies the food and the setting. The unique decor and the pop opera singer make this an event and not only dinner. This said, I would not go back but am glad having had this dining experience once.
Too_Fly1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:12 am

Thanks for the response. We are currently at the hotel. The layout of the resort is unique, not necessarily practical, but definitely “instagramable”. The beach is clean and clam, although I did step on two sea urchins the first day here, one on each foot. Luckily, it was not serious. There were tiny spikes on my feet that had to be removed. Outside of that the beach is in really great shape; calm, clear, and largely debris free. The water is extremely temperate, more so than anything I’ve experienced in the Caribbean. The activities and cleaning staff have been truly exceptional. We took the night market shuttle and visited three different seafood stalls, which were great. We cannot wait to explore the island further. On the flight here we met a few people from Saigon who visit Phu Quoc regularly and we have a friend that visited the island before, so we cannot wait to check out their recommendations as well.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.

Last edited by Too_Fly1; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
- What were their recommendations ?

I was on Phu Quoc a few years ago whilst this resort was under construction.
Would be keen to stay there for a week and somewhere more modest for a week nearby.
Anyone have any more restaurant / excellent food shack recommendations ?!
i recall the old lady who had a shack opposite the Pearly centre (the one lit up like Vegas at night) did incredibly tasty soups.
Anyone spot any more modest accomodation on the island which looked interesting too ?
Cheers.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
So does this place still gives free breakfast to Plat & above or not anymore?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old May 26, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
So does this place still gives free breakfast to Plat & above or not anymore?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
It’s an Elite benefit in lieu of your 1000 welcome amenity points.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:55 am

Right next door is now Premier Residences, managed by Accor. Their prices are quiet lower, check their website. They also have 1-and 2-bedroom appartments. Very modern looking when walking by, catering to families, whereas the JW is more couple oriented and luxurious.
If you want more interesting architecture and flair, I would recommend La Veranda Resort, on the west side of the island, colonial architecture on Duong Dong Beach (I believe). The beach is private but has much more cheaper food and massage options nearby. The beach is not creamy white but the hotel has flair even though not as luxurious as the JW. Would recommend to stay at least a couple of days.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Right next door is now Premier Residences, managed by Accor. Their prices are quiet lower, check their website. They also have 1-and 2-bedroom appartments. Very modern looking when walking by, catering to families, whereas the JW is more couple oriented and luxurious.
If you want more interesting architecture and flair, I would recommend La Veranda Resort, on the west side of the island, colonial architecture on Duong Dong Beach (I believe). The beach is private but has much more cheaper food and massage options nearby. The beach is not creamy white but the hotel has flair even though not as luxurious as the JW. Would recommend to stay at least a couple of days.
Yep except the beach is worse at the Premier Residences - no net, so huge garbage dump. F&B, I would think, is worse as well.

However, cash prices are in the $100-150 range if I'm not mistaken, vs $500-700 for JW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.