Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: VA
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is it actually worth going here? What makes this different than any other beach resort?
The incredible design of the hotel and rooms are not cookie cutter like elsewhere
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
The water is really dirty and beach is dirty until they sweep it in the morning and afternoon. Looks like there might be some stuff at the very end of the beach but big piles of trash washed up make it hard to walk over.

Went into the water this morning and got poked by something in there. Felt like a very sharp sting. Hopefully nothing too bad...
this seems to be after a storm only.
I saw some bluebottle jellyfish a couple of days ago so could be one of those that stung you
I didn’t get close enough to test it!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Thanks for the review.

The pictures look great on the website but it does seem there may be limited activities in the area and limited food off property along with the beach issues. Thinking about hitting SEAsia over the New Years. @VinceChan suggested that the JW at Phuket is better. Any other recommendations as alternatives to this property?
PM me, if you like, with your likes/dislikes and budget (using points Marriott or SPG) and I'll be happy to give you some recommendations. As a general recommendation for Vietnam, I'm in love with the Six Senses on Con Dau. There also good places in Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by flybytheseat
The incredible design of the hotel and rooms are not cookie cutter like elsewhere
lots of free or low cost activities put on by the resort as well. With gold or above status the breakfast is free and happy hour is free. Being a cat 5 the use of the certs is a great value with low costs if you eat a big breakfast and go to happy hour.

However its the resort design that is really unique. Each building has a unique story and decor. Same with the rooms. And the theme is in everything here. Very cool.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
lots of free or low cost activities put on by the resort as well. With gold or above status the breakfast is free and happy hour is free. Being a cat 5 the use of the certs is a great value with low costs if you eat a big breakfast and go to happy hour.

However its the resort design that is really unique. Each building has a unique story and decor. Same with the rooms. And the theme is in everything here. Very cool.
agreed. Pretty amazing design. Every room is different and furnished differently. Every floor is different. Some people change rooms every day to experience it. Not Normally something one would consider in any other hotel.
Plus the value of it being cat 5 and so available on a seven or five night certificate (anyone still manage to get a five night one?)
breakfast is sensational. If you’re worried about kids just dine outside away from them. I think the resort is amazing for kids. Brings the big kid out in me. I want to go and play football (soccer for US folk) on the playing field!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:05 pm

Anyone know what the shacks are at the end of the beach? Anything worth the walk over?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by flybytheseat
Breakfast is free. I’m only a lowly gold and it was part of the welcome letter plus discounts on food and lots of other things. They make you sign for breakfast then Credit it at checkout. Did they get a plat welcome letter?
At the beginning, breakfast wasn´t free. Now it is.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
At the beginning, breakfast wasn´t free. Now it is.
How did that happen? Upon checkin you get a letter saying its free for gold/platinum. You still sign for it with the price each morning, but it gets taken off at checkout.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:26 am

We just stayed here for couples of days. The place is not as great as we have expected. For the price, you can stay at Intercontinental Da Nang and get a much better service. The room is amazing. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Room. The F&B were cheap comparing to other high end hotels; but the food was not that great.
Interestingly, after talking to some of our friends who work at the resort, there are a lot of high-status members at this place. She said that the occupancy rate is quite high ~80%-90% consistently. And out of the 80%, more than 60% is expected to be gold or platinum. They also said that the property has plans to gradually increase the redemption points throughout next year. Now they have blocked redemption ability in the next year.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yeah. As nice as the property looks, I'm not flying to Vietnam to get sunbath on filthy beaches and worse case scenario get hepatitis from broken glass or, worse yet, a needle.

If you work in Vietnam or live around, this is indeed a great value . However for some having to fly 10 hours just to visit Phu Quoc and Vietnam? I don't think it is worth it. And I personally feel the island is nothing special. It is not developed yet, however the overall environment of the island and this location is not as clean or as beautiful as Bill Bensley said from his video. I even felt this hotel will be even better if built in some other location/country.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
If you work in Vietnam or live around, this is indeed a great value . However for some having to fly 10 hours just to visit Phu Quoc and Vietnam? I don't think it is worth it. And I personally feel the island is nothing special. It is not developed yet, however the overall environment of the island and this location is not as clean or as beautiful as Bill Bensley said from his video. I even felt this hotel will be even better if built in some other location/country.
Vince -- your insight on this property is very helpful.

I know you thought JW Phuket was a better property. Any other recommendations on the Marriott side, that might be worth flying 15 hours?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Vince -- your insight on this property is very helpful.

I know you thought JW Phuket was a better property. Any other recommendations on the Marriott side, that might be worth flying 15 hours?
C17PSGR--Your response is very helpful as well. I fly for for many reasons , and I would not flying for such a long time just because of the hotel, I would consider the overall tourist environment , not to mention the horrible flight quality/delayed of domestic flights in Vietnam. For a vacation, I want to feel comfortable, I don't want stuck in horrible airport with domestic flights delayed every time , you have to sleep with stranger in horrible hotel if they delayed your flights to next morning, or local dining experience sometimes or usual below average , on those point Vietnam is out for my future vacation. But I am sure many people who love to visit and stay in Vietnam.

FYI, I've never said that I had better experience at JW Phuket . I recommend Renaissance for more personal service, , quite,smaller resort(I hate big hotel, I prefer smaller one), much modern /newer environment . There are many vacation destination nearby is wroth flying for such a long time for vacation. For New Year you should make decision ASAP, If you really would like to know other options you can pm some of other experts here or me .

Last edited by Vince Chan; Nov 22, 2017 at 11:37 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ncSam
Following some other recommendations I saw, I took a Mai Linh taxi (the green ones) from the airport. It came to around 300 VND (metered), which is much cheaper than the hotel transport. I arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and there were plenty of taxis waiting curbside.
Silly question, but how did you catch/arrange a taxi back from the hotel to the airport?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Silly question, but how did you catch/arrange a taxi back from the hotel to the airport?
The hotel will call one for you. There are lots on the Main Street outside.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:31 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
stuck out my arm and waved one down on the street. Pretty simple but driver did not know the JW, so showed him the hotel via the MRR app on my phone to see if that would help. He spotted the phone number and called them for directions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.