Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
You can beg all you want but the simple policy to paraphrase the prop is IF a suite is available Ps will be accommodated in one but there simply aren’t enough suites for every requestor and they are therefore trying to provide suites to everyone on at least one visit (I have one now so don’t expect one on my next visit here and likewise if I wasn’t upgraded on this trip more then likely would be on my return)

Originally Posted by jpdx
If you do pick the Marriott, judging from the experiences reported here, it is important to reach out ahead of time and beg for a suite.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Srisarin
You can beg all you want but the simple policy to paraphrase the prop is IF a suite is available Ps will be accommodated in one but there simply aren’t enough suites for every requestor and they are therefore trying to provide suites to everyone on at least one visit (I have one now so don’t expect one on my next visit here and likewise if I wasn’t upgraded on this trip more then likely would be on my return)
I must admit that this was my first stay as Marriott Plat at a resort (matched from SPG), so what I had in mind was, "with Marriott, resorts owe you nothing" (and very clearly, with breakfast and HH, this hotel goes well beyond nothing). I am not sure why you know with such certainty that no suites or better rooms were available during my stay -- they certainly were showing for sale, and the various managers roaming the happy hour told me the hotel was around 60% occupancy. Were all other guests higher ranking Plats, or did regular guests book up all the suites, who knows? It's all academic by now; I hate begging or haggling for upgrades, and I wouldn't have put my SO through another move, so the purpose of my post here is to alert others: (1) if it's an important stay where you want a suite, ask for it ahead of time. (2) Do not expect to be given the best available room automatically; IMO at 60% occupancy it's inexcusable to put a Plat in the walled-in balcony room. And (3), if they try to assign you to one of those 4th floor Seashell rooms (34xx), regardless of status, make sure to get another room.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:59 am
Suspended

I was not stating anything about YOUR stay but the upgrade policy of this property as conveyed to me by management and stated for other incomers.

As a mirrored SPG P against my LT P earned status (the hard way - paid by me), both of us are P6 (unlike SPG which has various P levels and in my opinion an over abundance of DYKWIA types) no distinction and on an equal par for upgrades and other perks.

Now it is true that I happen to know the GM here (as well as 100 others in Asia) from previous stays at the JW Khao Lak where Ty was former GM, but I did not contact him in advance of my arrival nor did I ask anyone prior to arrival for an upgrade, but I am known in the industry as I’ve been involved in the business in several forms for 50 years and am greeted by various staff members at many props like Norm (of Cheers) was and feel lucky to have been upgraded 5 days prior to arrival to a Torquise Suite on the 5th floor of the Agriculture Building, but again, never asked, nor expected it and as per their policy don't expect the same over my next stay.

And in regard to your if you want a suite, beg for it, my opinion is if your special occasion needs a suite, book and pay for it and it’s totally excusable to assign you/anyone a 4th fl Clam Room since it was still an upgrade even if not as “big” an upgrade as you think you’re entitled to.

I must admit that this was my first stay as Marriott Plat at a resort (matched from SPG), so what I had in mind was, "with Marriott, resorts owe you nothing" (and very clearly, with breakfast and HH, this hotel goes well beyond nothing). I am not sure why you know with such certainty that no suites or better rooms were available during my stay -- they certainly were showing for sale, and the various managers roaming the happy hour told me the hotel was around 60% occupancy. Were all other guests higher ranking Plats, or did regular guests book up all the suites, who knows? It's all academic by now; I hate begging or haggling for upgrades, and I wouldn't have put my SO through another move, so the purpose of my post here is to alert others: (1) if it's an important stay where you want a suite, ask for it ahead of time. (2) Do not expect to be given the best available room automatically; IMO at 60% occupancy it's inexcusable to put a Plat in the walled-in balcony room. And (3), if they try to assign you to one of those 4th floor Seashell rooms (34xx), regardless of status, make sure to get another room.

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 29, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:44 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

And in regard to your if you want a suite, beg for it, my opinion is if your special occasion needs a suite, book and pay for it and it’s totally excusable to assign you/anyone a 4th fl Clam Room since it was still an upgrade even if not as “big” an upgrade as you think you’re entitled to.
I didn't want to get into a shouting match with you -- very clearly, you did nothing wrong to get your suite. If I read your post correctly, you are still on-property, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is quite clear from this thread that contacting Thomas in advance of the stay makes a difference. Our first room was indeed an upgrade (Le Jardin -- a regular sized room on the ground floor, with a little garden area), but if you value your privacy, it's not a good choice. Our second room is not, as you write, an upgrade. It's a standard room, and a crappy one at that, owing to the complete lack of view from the balcony. Again: what I'm trying to tell people is, if you want to improve your chances of a suite upgrade, contact the property. If you don't, your upgrade may be a Le Jardin room, on the ground floor with no privacy. And although standard rooms are fairly large and plenty quirky, some are clearly better than others.

Here are pictures of the balcony with wall (taken from the room), and of the view standing up on the balcony (and I’m 6’5”, so a person of average height would see nothing).
Attached Images   
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the input jdpx. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

No shouting match just a fact that between real Marriott Ps and mirrored SPG Ps (who think they ALWAYS should get a suite in any property they stay) that there just aren’t a sufficient number of suites to accommodate all comers (less those that are actually sold) but that the policy here is to accommodate as many Ps as possible if there’s availability and if you aren’t lucky on your first visit to be so accommodated that your account will be noted and you’ll be given priority for a return visit suite.

Since I’ve had my turn to enjoy a suite here I wouldn’t expect the same upon my return next year and that was the purpose of my post.

I just noted that IF having a suite was of vital importance for whatever reason there’s always the ability to actually book and pay for one.

I didn't want to get into a shouting match with you -- very clearly, you did nothing wrong to get your suite. If I read your post correctly, you are still on-property, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is quite clear from this thread that contacting Thomas in advance of the stay makes a difference. Our first room was indeed an upgrade (Le Jardin -- a regular sized room on the ground floor, with a little garden area), but if you value your privacy, it's not a good choice. Our second room is not, as you write, an upgrade. It's a standard room, and a crappy one at that, owing to the complete lack of view from the balcony. Again: what I'm trying to tell people is, if you want to improve your chances of a suite upgrade, contact the property. If you don't, your upgrade may be a Le Jardin room, on the ground floor with no privacy. And although standard rooms are fairly large and plenty quirky, some are clearly better than others.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Oh stop already. jdpx made a single comment (which plenty of real Marriott Ps have made over the years) & you're a bit like Pavlov w/ the jumping up/down, tossing it back at SPG. There's plenty on both sides that could be tossed back/forth wrt programs, but those comments should go in the program comparison threads rather than continually derailing property threads.

You both made valid points. He gave a good trip report of his stay there, including pros & cons. He wasn't over the top or demanding. But his comment that he doesn't like to beg for a suite - and at 60% occupancy w/ suites still being for sale - is valid/I get his point. Your point that there are often more Plats than suites is valid & I didn't see him disagreeing w/ that. I wouldn't have been happy about a room w/ a wall that blocked a good part of the view either & his heads up re: those rooms will be appreciated by others.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

As a mirrored SPG P against my LT P earned status (the hard way - paid by me), both of us are P6 (unlike SPG which has various P levels and in my opinion an over abundance of DYKWIA types) no distinction and on an equal par for upgrades and other perks.

Now it is true that I happen to know the GM here (as well as 100 others in Asia) from previous stays at the JW Khao Lak where Ty was former GM, but I did not contact him in advance of my arrival nor did I ask anyone prior to arrival for an upgrade, but I am known in the industry as I’ve been involved in the business in several forms for 50 years and am greeted by various staff members at many props like Norm (of Cheers) was and feel lucky to have been upgraded 5 days prior to arrival to a Torquise Suite on the 5th floor of the Agriculture Building, but again, never asked, nor expected it and as per their policy don't expect the same over my next stay.
Very funny, perhaps unintentional.

Appreciate the trip report, though.
margarita girl and UASPG like this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:58 pm

Hello -- thanks for all the trip reports! Can anyone advise which rooms to request?
My girlfriend are visiting for our anniversary and are looking forward to an awesome experience. I booked using the nights&flights package, so I wasn't sure if a paid upgrade was possible.

I was thinking of messaging them on facebook to see any upgrade availability, but wanted to get an idea of what to request. We're visiting the week of Thanksgiving, so I'm sure it will be packed!

Any insight would be appreciated -- Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:08 am
Suspended

it might help to know if you have any Marriott status

and T-day isn't a Vietnamese celebrated holiday however I know in Thailand the hotels due a T-day dinner, but only with local birds as butterballs are gone but in Nam I wonder but will ask Verun the F&B Mgr

added - Varun says special set menu for turkey day (and already into their high season)

Originally Posted by jlaidoe
Hello -- thanks for all the trip reports! Can anyone advise which rooms to request?
My girlfriend are visiting for our anniversary and are looking forward to an awesome experience. I booked using the nights&flights package, so I wasn't sure if a paid upgrade was possible.

I was thinking of messaging them on facebook to see any upgrade availability, but wanted to get an idea of what to request. We're visiting the week of Thanksgiving, so I'm sure it will be packed!

Any insight would be appreciated -- Thanks!

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 30, 2017 at 3:38 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The beach was a huge letdown – the water was choppy and brown, and there’s no way I would have swam there due to the incredible amounts of trash floating in it. I had read about the problems with plastic trash on Phu Quoc beaches, but having seen pictures of crystal-clear water, I assumed the hotel wasn’t affected by that problem. To be fair, they had a crew of 10 cleaning the beach, and a bulldozer beeped back-and-forth for hours. I’m hoping this isn’t normal; maybe we had some unusual weather ...
Thanks for the report. I wonder if this is indeed a function of weather/storms etc - october can be tricky there iirc... not many ppl mention that in reports but perhaps not many swim in the ocean..
looks like there are snorkeling tours nearby - anyone tried them?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:17 am

Award-night availability

Does anyone know what is going on with award-night availability? I'm seeing availability literally every night through 12/20/2017, but then absolutely nothing from 12/21/2017 through September 2018. Have they just decided to leave the program?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Does anyone know what is going on with award-night availability? I'm seeing availability literally every night through 12/20/2017, but then absolutely nothing from 12/21/2017 through September 2018. Have they just decided to leave the program?
Did you read back in the thread where this is discussed?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Did you read back in the thread where this is discussed?
Yes, I did. People observed the lack of availability, then some availability reappeared briefly, and then disappeared again. But I didn't see an explanation of what is actually happening (other than the reasonable guess that the hotel decided to remove all availability), and what can be expected. Sorry if I missed something.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended

You’ll find cash rates loaded thru mid Sept 2018 so speculation of leaving the program is absurd.

When award availability was available post mid Dec 17, I, along with others, noticed it here. If it’s no longer available it proffers forward the old adage if you sleep you lose.

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Have they just decided to leave the program?

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.