Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG & China Eastern launch elite member partnership

SPG & China Eastern launch elite member partnership

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
No more China Eastern Silver status?

I've noticed China Eastern downgraded me to basic membership, but I still get China Eastern points credited to my Bonvoy account. I went to the website and it's "undergoing enhancement" - so I guess I ran into the first "enhancement" which is taking away Silver status match?

Still says I am eligible for C class check-in, C class lounge use, etc. But no longer said Silver Status.

Is that the new policy for Linking with China Eastern?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I didn't even know this existed! Is there a link to the benefits page somewhere?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
I didn't even know this existed! Is there a link to the benefits page somewhere?
Google it and it'll pop up, but you can't register now because you will see a notice about "enhancements" to the agreement (which we all know means downgrading).

It's a great program if you fly China Eastern a lot like I do. Double dipping points are great! And they used to give you Silver status but no more... but the spelled out agreements are still Business CHeck-in, Business-luggage AND use of Business Lounge!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are the additional benefits of MU Silver? Maybe a few more redeemable points? Better seats or free advanced seat reservations? I don't think they give free upgrades to elites.

The special check in, checked bags, and lounge would be SkyTeam elite benefits IIRC, although perhaps only at Gold+ level (ElitePlus rather then Elite).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by cfischer
This was a legacy SPG program similar to Delta Crossover awards. Much like crossover awards, it was my understanding that the program ended after the program merger in 2018, but per https://spgchinapromo.com/ that may not be the case.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are the additional benefits of MU Silver? Maybe a few more redeemable points? Better seats or free advanced seat reservations? I don't think they give free upgrades to elites.

The special check in, checked bags, and lounge would be SkyTeam elite benefits IIRC, although perhaps only at Gold+ level (ElitePlus rather then Elite).
Briefly using the "Google" tool and finding China Eastern's website: https://us.ceair.com/en/content/Memb...ember-vip.html may be more helpful than spewing the first random thoughts that come to your mind.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Mar 19, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am still listed at Silver status. I am not sure if because of SPG tie in still or because I re-qualified last year.

I thought people previously registered pre- merger would still be Silver but no one new could register.

I am getting Club lounge access and priority check in. It has been an excellent program for me (hope it stays) and good for CE as I've switched a lot of flights to it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I am still listed at Silver status. I am not sure if because of SPG tie in still or because I re-qualified last year.

I thought people previously registered pre- merger would still be Silver but no one new could register.

I am getting Club lounge access and priority check in. It has been an excellent program for me (hope it stays) and good for CE as I've switched a lot of flights to it.
Well, I'm linked pre-merger and they've downgraded me to Silver. It's tough to maintain if you're flying short-routes. I literally fly C class with them once every 2 weeks, domestic, and still can't maintain Silver.

For me personally it doesn't really affect me, but just wondering about the program itself. If you don't have Silver, I guess for now on you need to show them your Bonvoy card (or App showing your status) at check-in? Otherwise how would they know you're qualify for those benefits?
Old May 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

Unfortunately I just received an email saying this program is ending this month. It was nice getting all the extra points and CL access.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This never worked correctly for me.

I managed to get my Silver status on China Eastern which gave me lounge access for flights flown but not one single point appeared on either my Eastern Miles account or my SPG/Bonvoy account after flying with them.

I'd prefer a partnership with a useful airline like Cathay.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:40 pm

For domestic China flights, CE is great and I think point of tie up was to encourage more mainland flyers. I also fly CE more far more than Cathay now., 1 or two times a month. Only flew Cathay once in past year as the service has dropped dramatically over last 20 years yet prices remain high.

CE tech terrible. I kept getting points. I am not sure how but every month I would get points several times more than I actually flew. Will miss this partnership
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Marriott ending another one of SPG legacy partnerships!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.