Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Seoul Westin Chosun or Sheraton D-Cube

Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Everything

Could someone in the know please advise which of the above hotels is a better option for a tourist visit to Seoul? I've stayed at the D-Cube and got excellent SPG recognition (I am Platinum) a few years ago, but the hotel seemed a bit out of the way. Is Westin a better deal?
Thank you!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I prefer the Chosun's location. It's been a few years since we stayed there, but I do recall enjoying it very much.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bonusflyer
Could someone in the know please advise which of the above hotels is a better option for a tourist visit to Seoul? I've stayed at the D-Cube and got excellent SPG recognition (I am Platinum) a few years ago, but the hotel seemed a bit out of the way. Is Westin a better deal?
Thank you!
This may be of help, Which SPG hotel in Seoul for a 3 night tourist visit? Also check the Seoul properties individual master threads.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:08 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I stayed at the D-Cube when it first opened, and loved it. YMMV.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
I also stayed at the D-Cube about 2 years ago.
Things I remember I liked:
- Lounge and Lounge Service - the Staff was amazing
- Breakfast and the views from the Restaurant
- proximity to subway station (even though it is not very central, we could conveniently get anywhere we wanted)
- views from the high floors (the hotel only starts on the 18th floor or so...). Definitely great to grasp the enormous dimensions of this city.

Don't expect a Suite upgrade though. Apparently they only have very few suites.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As others have mentioned, D-Cube wins on everything but location. If needing to do business south of the Han River, however, D-Cube location is as good as any full-service Seoul SPG property (not including the Aloft Gangnam). Not mentioned here, the D-Cube has a great gym and sauna (just as good as the Westin's, in my opinion).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
As others have mentioned, D-Cube wins on everything but location. If needing to do business south of the Han River, however, D-Cube location is as good as any full-service Seoul SPG property (not including the Aloft Gangnam). Not mentioned here, the D-Cube has a great gym and sauna (just as good as the Westin's, in my opinion).

-FlyerBeek
FlyerBeek: What do you mean by "Not including the aLoft Gangnam"? Just wondering as I'm debating between the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel and the aLoft Gangnam for an upcoming stay. I've seen the generally poor reviews for the Sheraton Seoul Palace but am interested in any comments about location. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Canada101
FlyerBeek: What do you mean by "Not including the aLoft Gangnam"? Just wondering as I'm debating between the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel and the aLoft Gangnam for an upcoming stay. I've seen the generally poor reviews for the Sheraton Seoul Palace but am interested in any comments about location. Thanks!
My comment wasn't intended to pass judgement on the Aloft Gangnam (I've never stayed there); I was just trying to compare the Seoul SPG properties I have stayed at (everywhere but the two in Gangnam). I believe the Sheraton Gangnam is relatively new, and I'd have to think you'd have a more full-service experience there (lounge access, potential suite upgrade, nicer facilities). If you absolutely need to be in Gangnam and stay in an SPG property, I would venture to say the Sheraton would be your best option.

In general, I typically try to avoid Aloft properties since they are really not full-service hotels (although any Aloft in Asia is going to be far better than those in the U.S. Which are quite cookie-cutter an minimalistic).
-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bonusflyer
Thank you!
I stayed at both over the years. Westin's location definitely better for tourism, but the difference in rooms, platinum rec, gym/pool, and rates... I would stay at the D-Cube 100 times out of 100!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
I stayed at both over the years. Westin's location definitely better for tourism, but the difference in rooms, platinum rec, gym/pool, and rates... I would stay at the D-Cube 100 times out of 100!
Agree with you. Other than distance from city, I actually liked Sheraton D-Cube more than Westin.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a new aloft that's several blocks from the Westin Chosun. It's a new building and looks like it should be opening very soon. The lobby had furniture and people were going in and out (job interviews? training?) in late December.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a new aloft that's several blocks from the Westin Chosun. It's a new building and looks like it should be opening very soon. The lobby had furniture and people were going in and out (job interviews? training?) in late December.
I guess you are talking about Aloft Myeongdong.

Not sure how good it is as I've not stayed in any Aloft before.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LuisHK
I guess you are talking about Aloft Myeongdong.

Not sure how good it is as I've not stayed in any Aloft before.
That's it. It looked fancy compared to USA alofts, but I've never stayed in an aloft in Asia.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Are D Cube or Choson allowing children to access to club lounge?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
D Cube flat out refused my kid. I was not hapoy because of this and will not stay there again.

Westin said no but said they could make accomodation for me.

Many clubs in Korea don't let kids in. So last month we stayed at Aloft. Quite nice though didn't have all the facilities (big gym, pool). But next time we will stay Aloft again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.