Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do You Tell Hotels You're Mattress Running ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Tell Hotels You're Mattress Running ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by clarkef
Perhaps I'm missing something. If I reserve a room, check-in, watch Star Trek, then leave, which rule am I breaking? Many people have legitimate reasons for not spending the night at a hotel. I recently rented a cheap hotel room because I needed a shower and the airport did not have lounge facilities.
None. I have never done a mattress run, but I have booked a room in order to have a place to nap, shower, and change clothes during a long layover.

The same with multiple night reservations where you don't spend every night in the hotel. With a 5th night free, it may make sense to keep your room for the entire 5 nights when staying elsewhere for a night in the middle.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't normally do many mattress runs as I've been a LT Plat with Marriott for a long time now and don't need the nights for elite status. But every once in a while, I've come up 1 night short of completing a Mega-bonus or similar offer. So there have been a few time where I've needed that extra night. (It doesn't hurt that there is a local CY close-by that used to have extremely low weekend rates.) Since the hotel is usually close by to me, I'll drive over to check-in. I have always asked the check-in person if they prefer me to "ruffle" up the room a bit to make it look like I've stayed there or if they would have a problem with my never going up to the room. So I will normally tell the check-in agent what and why. I don't remember any times where they told me I had to go up and mess up the room a bit. I usually ask them if I need to call the next day to "check-out" and will do so if needed.

I usually ask as I assume it will save them some money if I don't go into the room (i.e. they won't have to re-clean it after I leave.) And so far, they haven't had a problem with me not going into the room at all.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't do mattress runs, bu7t I really wish there was an additional option when making a reservation where the Marriott website asks whether the stay is for business, leisure, or other. I really want to be able to check NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

BTW, I've noticed on the Hertz website that I tend to see lower rates when I check leisure rather than business.
EuropeanPete and Dalewood like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: *wood Plat, FB Plat
As a side question, would I still get multiple stays/nights for a mattress run with 3 rooms/1 night at an SPG hotel?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lebadaud
As a side question, would I still get multiple stays/nights for a mattress run with 3 rooms/1 night at an SPG hotel?
Nope.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, FB Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nope.
Even for legacy SPG requirements?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lebadaud
Even for legacy SPG requirements?
Not since August 18th......

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 7, 2018 at 5:22 pm Reason: edited
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not once have a done a mattress run, but even if I did, why is it anyone's business including the front desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.