Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Florida [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Per djohannw the hotel gives a 50% discount on parking for Platinum members
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I have recently got to gold status with Marriott thru SPG spend (which FYI SPG was kind enough to do with a single call BEFORE my statement closed, and BEFORE the up to 12 weeks it can take to process) and reciprocal status matching.

I am looking at booking a Marriott property, and one of the gold status perks is a free room upgrade when available. This property is comprised of one and two bedroom suites with 2-3 different types of views (resort, intercoastal and ocean).

What should I expect as an upgrade? Would they potentially move me from a one bedroom to a two bedroom? Is it just the view?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

TIA!!

Last edited by jjesq99; Dec 8, 2016 at 11:20 am Reason: Better Title
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
It's really anyone's guess.

A call/email to the hotel should help as well as asking at check-in, but IMO don't really expect much particularly without doing either of those things.

Unfortunately uprgades are a common complaint among Marriott elites although some have more success than others. With the different categories I think one bump up is reasonable, but a significant upgrade might be tough.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jjesq99
I have recently got to gold status with Marriott thru SPG spend (which FYI SPG was kind enough to do with a single call BEFORE my statement closed, and BEFORE the up to 12 weeks it can take to process) and reciprocal status matching.

I am looking at booking a Marriott property, and one of the gold status perks is a free room upgrade when available. This property is comprised of one and two bedroom suites with 2-3 different types of views (resort, intercoastal and ocean).

What should I expect as an upgrade? Would they potentially move me from a one bedroom to a two bedroom? Is it just the view?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

TIA!!
Try searching for the property name in the Marriott thread. Without knowing where you are headed, it's difficult to say what your odds of an upgrade might be.

Generally, my upgrades have been great at properties I stay at frequently. Usually for me it's a better view - rarely I have gone from a cheap AAA to a suite. My most significant upgrades were for my honeymoon because I reached out to the properties well in advance of my travels.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I will reach out to the hotel, again as:

1) I am now booked; and

2) I am getting conflicting info from the property and main res line as to the upgrade; property says that we would go from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom, while the main res. line states that it will be an upgrade in view (if available).

Thanks again!!!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:02 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I am guessing that this is the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island?

If so, expect a minimal upgrade in view. Even as a Platinum, I was only upgraded to an Ocean View 1-BR during my single one night stay there (though admittedly it was a while back).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
I am guessing that this is the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island?

If so, expect a minimal upgrade in view. Even as a Platinum, I was only upgraded to an Ocean View 1-BR during my single one night stay there (though admittedly it was a while back).
Domer,

Yah thats the one, and judging by their res. system, it is looking busy .

I'm going to try and call them and suck up.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I've been LifeTime Platinum for a few years now - was Platinum Premier for 1-2 years.

My experience has been very limited on the "automatic upgrade", but quite good if I call and request an upgrade to a suite.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHammy
I've been LifeTime Platinum for a few years now - was Platinum Premier for 1-2 years.

My experience has been very limited on the "automatic upgrade", but quite good if I call and request an upgrade to a suite.
When do you recommend calling? ASAP or closer too arrival? How close? (Booking is for Xmas w/e)

TIA!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
When do you recommend calling? ASAP or closer too arrival? How close? (Booking is for Xmas w/e)

TIA!
I usually call the Platinum line and have them note it in the reservation and/or put it in the reservation at booking (notes section...limited to like 45 characters)
I think I've had better luck with the Platinum line with them noting it - I think they may have a flag for the hotel that gets noticed more than the res note.

And I think the sooner the better - upgrades are still only on an availability basis, so if they sell out before you get there, then no joy. But depending on when they (or the system?) process the upcoming day's arrivals, I would think an older note/flag may have some precedent? All theory as I don't know their system - and I would suspect plenty of changes as they integrate SPGs system as well.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Domer,

Yah thats the one, and judging by their res. system, it is looking busy .

I'm going to try and call them and suck up.
Any success with upgrades? Planning to head there in Feb (I am Platinum)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peroorim
Any success with upgrades? Planning to head there in Feb (I am Platinum)
I'm sorry if my answer is lousy, but I did get a slight upgrade from resort view (just above the pool) to a intercoastal view (which was better than oceanfront in that you could see the ocean AND the intercoastal- and there were no balconies right next to yours). The problem is, I cant tell you exactly what their standard upgrade policy is: size of room or view.

But that upgrade was not automatic, and only came after I complained about needing two beds in the second room. They allegedly didnt have any oceanfront two bedrooms available (which was in line with their rez system). When I asked for the upgrade at the desk, they said that I already had the biggest room they had, so that leads me to believe that had I booked a 1 bedroom, they would have bumped me up to a 2 bedroom. But would it have been the same view of the originally booked 1 bedroom? i dunno...

And one more thing: beware of the "hotel" calling you the week of your trip b/c of your status (and the implied priority you would have over other guests). It's a lady selling timeshares. $300 Amex gc or 25000 marriott points. But both members of the household have to attend.

As for the hotel:

- ALL THE STAFF WE MET WERE GREAT.
- They have a public park/beach RIGHT next door. If (or hopefully when) I go back, I would examine parking there and saving the $27/nt valet. Dunno if you can leave it overnite, but I guarantee I could have given I was there over the holiday w/e.
-Their restaurant (3800 Ocean or something like that) has a nice lounge with 1st come seating; THEIR SMALL PLATES AND APPS ARE 50% OFF MON-FRI. BEST DEAL AT THE HOTEL!!! We were very impressed with their food night one, and then it slowly began to deteriorate as we were there. We ate there every night, not wanting to leave the resort (with our two younger kids); first night was the 23rd, so may be it was because they got closer to Xmas that the quality waned.
-Spa was nice, not that well appointed, but adequate. Had a steam room and two showers on the mens side. No sauna and very little in the way of toiletries. Both my wife and I got excellent swedish massages from jessica and melissa
-Beach was nice (ask about jellyfish when you get there to see if they are an issue then); chairs were $10/hr (you can rent for the day as well, but unsure of that cost), water is warm and clear, sand was so-so (I have seen coarser and dirtier on FL east coast, but there was a good bit of debris), and we had no issues ever getting bech chairs.
-Two pools: Lagoon pool with slide in the front; infinity pool with hot tub facing the beach. Lagoon pool is more geared to families but there were many kids at the infinity as well. You can sit in the hot tub and stare at the ocean which is a big plus for me. As long as you are not in the corner of the lagoon pool, getting service was not an issue anywhere.
-Food and beverage prices were a bit on the steeper side, but nothing outrageous or unexpected from a resort charging these rates (Cat 9 Marriott).
-Starbucks in the lobby with a BUNCH of good looking pastries/desserts. Had a few and they were a 7.25 outta 10; looked like 9.5 outta ten) They do not open until 7 making that your earliest coffee you can buy w/o making yourself. This greatly vexed my spouse. She aint using the coffee pot in the room (I would but she wont and I dont drink coffee )
-Did mobile check in AND called when we were two hours out (we drove) so there would be as little wait as possible, and we still had an hour delay after arriving at 1pm- though thats better than 4pm. I mentioned the upgrade on the call as well, and I was told I would be getting one but would have to speak to the front desk about it. As stated earlier, I only got one after I complained.
-Did mobile check out before we arrived asking for 4pm check out; day we were leaving, they said they had no record of it and said the best they could do was 1pm. I mentioned the 4pm guarantee and was told that is based on availability and they needed the room for someone else. I dont necessarily believe them, but not the end of the world. I would nail that down at check in if I were you.

Overall, I know I was critical, but I would definitely go back and would also recommend this place without issue.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by jjesq99; Dec 27, 2016 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Ok, you also want to try and get a high floor, and be facing North (which we were after my complaining). They are building a high rise next door which is apparently problematic to the South facing rooms (which we were before I complained). it blocks some sun on the infinity pool but had little effect on the lagoon. The sun at the lagoon pool seemed best on the right (North side) as you walk into the pool area.

I read some complaints about the noise from the sout facing room guests, but I cant speak to it as the construction was non-existent during the holiday (and apparently they stop on the w/e's).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
I'm sorry if my answer is lousy, but I did get a slight upgrade from resort view (just above the pool) to a intercoastal view (which was better than oceanfront in that you could see the ocean AND the intercoastal- and there were no balconies right next to yours). The problem is, I cant tell you exactly what their standard upgrade policy is: size of room or view.

But that upgrade was not automatic, and only came after I complained about needing two beds in the second room. They allegedly didnt have any oceanfront two bedrooms available (which was in line with their rez system). When I asked for the upgrade at the desk, they said that I already had the biggest room they had, so that leads me to believe that had I booked a 1 bedroom, they would have bumped me up to a 2 bedroom. But would it have been the same view of the originally booked 1 bedroom? i dunno...

And one more thing: beware of the "hotel" calling you the week of your trip b/c of your status (and the implied priority you would have over other guests). It's a lady selling timeshares. $300 Amex gc or 25000 marriott points. But both members of the household have to attend.

As for the hotel:

- ALL THE STAFF WE MET WERE GREAT.
- They have a public park/beach RIGHT next door. If (or hopefully when) I go back, I would examine parking there and saving the $27/nt valet. Dunno if you can leave it overnite, but I guarantee I could have given I was there over the holiday w/e.
-Their restaurant (3800 Ocean or something like that) has a nice lounge with 1st come seating; THEIR SMALL PLATES AND APPS ARE 50% OFF MON-FRI. BEST DEAL AT THE HOTEL!!! We were very impressed with their food night one, and then it slowly began to deteriorate as we were there. We ate there every night, not wanting to leave the resort (with our two younger kids); first night was the 23rd, so may be it was because they got closer to Xmas that the quality waned.
-Spa was nice, not that well appointed, but adequate. Had a steam room and two showers on the mens side. No sauna and very little in the way of toiletries.
-Beach was nice (ask about jellyfish when you get there to see if they are an issue then); chairs were $10/hr (you can rent for the day as well, but unsure of that cost), water is warm and clear, sand was so-so (I have seen coarser and dirtier on FL east coast, but there was a good bit of debris), and we had no issues ever getting bech chairs.
-Two pools: Lagoon pool with slide in the front; infinity pool with hot tub facing the beach. Lagoon pool is more geared to families but there were many kids at the infinity as well. You can sit in the hot tub and stare at the ocean which is a big plus for me. As long as you are not in the corner of the lagoon pool, getting service was not an issue anywhere.
-Food and beverage prices were a bit on the steeper side, but nothing outrageous or unexpected from a resort charging these rates (Cat 9 Marriott).
-Starbucks in the lobby with a BUNCH of good looking pastries/desserts. Had a few and they were a 7.25 outta 10; looked like 9.5 outta ten) They do not open until 7 making that your earliest coffee you can buy w/o making yourself. This greatly vexed my spouse. She aint using the coffee pot in the room (I would but she wont and I dont drink coffee )
-Did mobile check in AND called when we were two hours out (we drove) so there would be as little wait as possible, and we still had an hour delay after arriving at 1pm- though thats better than 4pm. I mentioned the upgrade on the call as well, and I was told I would be getting one but would have to speak to the front desk about it. As stated earlier, I only got one after I complained.
-Did mobile check out before we arrived asking for 4pm check out; day we were leaving, they said they had no record of it and said the best they could do was 1pm. I mentioned the 4pm guarantee and was told that is based on availability and they needed the room for someone else. I dont necessarily believe them, but not the end of the world. I would nail that down at check in if I were you.

Overall, I know I was critical, but I would definitely go back and would also recommend this place without issue.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
One thing I always do is upon checking in to check the dates I am staying at any property to see what rooms they show available. You don't know how many times I have been told I am being upgraded to an "executive" room when it is the same size as the king room originally booked. Seems like this happens a lot at Courtyard properties where they don't even have an executive lounge. I was told by a new employee that the executive room features water and mouthwash. Call that an upgrade?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Great advice, thanks! Did you book the 2 rooms with points? I only see the 1 bedroom as an option with points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.