Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
I did see some dates show up without the prepayment and are fully cancellable up until 14 nights ahead of time. However, I think all reservations for the holiday period (the last two weeks of December and first two weeks of January) appear to be pre-pay only (and at a much higher rate than they should be for a points reservation) and non-refundable after one day.

So, I will not be making that reservation. Not worth the risk.

I've seen similar (or more egregious issues) with the other Maldives properties (W, St. Regis). Seems like Marriott is playing games with most of the Maldives properties, trying to make it hard to book them on points before the March intro of Cat 8 (but still having "availability" so it adheres to the no blackout date policy). Le sigh.
I think the problem is also the Marriott option to book without having the points in your account. You can easily book a bunch of 240K point stays without any commitment on your part since you can just "earn more points before the stay" - but that ties up inventory of the hotel. While I really like that option as a user, I know that for popular hotels it's probably a nightmare.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott
True. And I understand the need to require a deposit, particularly if it's a holiday period, BUT what I don't get is that the amount they are requiring as a hold is $2734 on the dates I'm looking for, but the total cost of the room after points is $1010 (taxes/fees and seaplane ride for two). Why the extra $1600 in charges? Is that a F&B prepayment? I realize we'll probably spend that much on F&B, but charging that all at the time of reservation seems excessive. Especially since other travel dates don't require that amount.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:45 am

Issues with redemptions - Westin Maldives

Hello,

I am planning to go to the Maldives for my honeymoon in late July/early August. I have several thousand American Express Membership Rewards points that I would like to convert to Marriott. I was thinking of redeeming the points for a stay at the Westin in the Maldives, which I believe is a new property. Unfortunately, I just tried to look at redemption possibilities and there appears to be almost nothing available for redemptions in July and August.

I remember reading a few weeks ago on OMAAT that there was a known issue with Marriott, whereby the red box would appear with the message stating that there were no redemption stays possible, and to book using cash instead. However, I can't find the article. Ben from OMAAT apparently contacted Marriott about this for a specific hotel (or 2) and they had fixed the issue.

Can someone please advise on what to do? I'm not entirely familiar with hotel redemptions, mostly only with airlines. I've sent Marriott an email, but the last time I sent them an email a month ago regarding a different issue, they didn't respond.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:28 am

Many of the initial reviews on TA included upgrades to OWV with pool, but it sounds like they're not being as generous with those and only granting upgrades to the beach villa suite. Has anyone been in the past few weeks?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by Uzair
Hello,

I am planning to go to the Maldives for my honeymoon in late July/early August. I have several thousand American Express Membership Rewards points that I would like to convert to Marriott. I was thinking of redeeming the points for a stay at the Westin in the Maldives, which I believe is a new property. Unfortunately, I just tried to look at redemption possibilities and there appears to be almost nothing available for redemptions in July and August.

I remember reading a few weeks ago on OMAAT that there was a known issue with Marriott, whereby the red box would appear with the message stating that there were no redemption stays possible, and to book using cash instead. However, I can't find the article. Ben from OMAAT apparently contacted Marriott about this for a specific hotel (or 2) and they had fixed the issue.

Can someone please advise on what to do? I'm not entirely familiar with hotel redemptions, mostly only with airlines. I've sent Marriott an email, but the last time I sent them an email a month ago regarding a different issue, they didn't respond.

Thanks in advance.
Mid August had some openings for the W and StR - the overwater villas though. Only advise we can give you is keep checking - try looking for a single night and if u find it book 5 nights in succession and then call CS which will combine all 5 and give you the 5th night free. Once you have the reservation then you can convert your Membership rewards, remember chase ultimate rewards transfer to marriott too. Its usually not a good value but Maldives will get you about 1.5c/pt which is good enough.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
anyone have any luck doing a points booking at this property?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott
Not lately. The website seems glitchy. It says rooms are available, but it doesn't load to the calendar, so it's impossible to book. And if you use specific dates, there's an error message or it redirects you to the "check available dates"...which just sends you back to the calendar page that doesn't load.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
that's what I'm seeing

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
Not lately. The website seems glitchy. It says rooms are available, but it doesn't load to the calendar, so it's impossible to book. And if you use specific dates, there's an error message or it redirects you to the "check available dates"...which just sends you back to the calendar page that doesn't load.
...that's what I'm seeing as well. Central reservations are no help, they see the exact same availability; or rather lack there of.

I do recall seeing points availability a few months ago when the property first opened but the points booking availability seems to be broken for the past 2 months.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Signatureauddie

We are going the 9-14th of February!

What was your experience there?? I noticed a few recent negative reviews on TA...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA/OW
Was able to snag a February reservation here. I'd love to hear from some of the Feb stays to hear how the resort is shaping up and if they've solved any of the service shortcomings yet.

Also, does anyone have a reservations contact email for this property?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Silver
I am headed to Westin Maldives next week. I booked a 5 night award for Island Villa a few months ago. I was able to confirm an overwater w pool upgrade. Cash rate is $250-400 depending on season from what I was told.

for those looking for an email for a property [email protected]

will report back with pictures when I get back
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Look forward to your trip report. Can you post (in addition to other things) what the breakfast situation is (Plat option) so I can update the exec lounge sticky? Thx!

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA/OW
Originally Posted by MikeWeiss
I am headed to Westin Maldives next week. I booked a 5 night award for Island Villa a few months ago. I was able to confirm an overwater w pool upgrade. Cash rate is $250-400 depending on season from what I was told.

for those looking for an email for a property [email protected]

will report back with pictures when I get back
looking forward to a report! Also:
  • what activities are complimentary (snorkeling, kayaks, etc)?
  • any updates to pricing from what has been reported
  • any comments on health of house reef
thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by grassyknoll
Was able to snag a February reservation here. I'd love to hear from some of the Feb stays to hear how the resort is shaping up and if they've solved any of the service shortcomings yet.

Also, does anyone have a reservations contact email for this property?

Thanks!
Generic property email is [email protected] and they have been really responsive in my experience so far
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Look forward to your trip report. Can you post (in addition to other things) what the breakfast situation is (Plat option) so I can update the exec lounge sticky? Thx!

Cheers.

Currently here now - the breakfast option for platinum/titanium is their full breakfast which consists of a fairly extensive buffet, and a made-to-order station that includes eggs, crepes, waffles, noodle soup, etc. Not nearly as extensive as the St. Regis (no ala carte breakfast menu at the buffet like St. Regis has). There's pastries, breads, cheeses, sushi/sashimi, lots of healthy options including fresh pressed juices, hot japanese and indian options, etc. I felt it was a pretty solid breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.