St Regis Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
I thought so too, but my ambassador says there's nothing she can do, since she can't reach anyone at the hotel as they're only opening tomorrow (what a coincidence)..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ollie264
Not happy about this - they appear to be waiting until they can get Cat 8 points rates. There's now a message when you book that says 'this hotel is not taking redemption bookings at this time, but you can make a cash booking'!
I would be willing to assume that rule doesn't necessarily apply when the hotel isn't even open yet!

Whether we like it or not, the timing works out in the St Regis Hong Kong's favor to open up award availability after the hotel actually opens as a Category 8. Considering the location and brand of this top hotel in one of the world's most expensive hotel cities, this doesn't seem so inappropriate to me.

The arbitrage for Cat 8 hotels at Cat 7 hotel award pricing was great for us while it lasted. It seems some are having a tough time letting go. We aren't entitled to the Cat 7 pricing, after all.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by xexs
just received an email from them confirming the opening will be the first half of April!
But website still says opening June?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
It seems some are having a tough time letting go. We aren't entitled to the Cat 7 pricing, after all.
You are correct, we are not entitled to anything.

However, the introduction of Cat 8 pricing is a pretty substantial program devaluation, particularly when considered along with the overall significantly upward movement of the award chart and all the games we're now seeing properties play with award availability and award cancellation policies.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
You are correct, we are not entitled to anything.

However, the introduction of Cat 8 pricing is a pretty substantial program devaluation, particularly when considered along with the overall significantly upward movement of the award chart and all the games we're now seeing properties play with award availability and award cancellation policies.
I am sorry to again disagree. From the legacy SPG perspective, Cat 8 pricing even with peak at 100K will be just a little less than the old 35K (comparable to 105K in Marriott points) peak pricing for SPG Cat 7 hotels--which comprises the overwhelming bulk of the new Cat 8 list. At non peak 85K, that's still less than the 30K SPG charged. And SPG had no discount for off-peak at all.

For me, these complaints are not realistic at all.
damon88 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IFrom the legacy SPG perspective, Cat 8 pricing even with peak at 100K will be just a little less than the old 35K (comparable to 105K in Marriott points) peak pricing for SPG Cat 7 hotels--which comprises the overwhelming bulk of the new Cat 8 list. At non peak 85K, that's still less than the 30K SPG charged. And SPG had no discount for off-peak at all.

SPG earn and burn was terrible, but the upside was fantastic elite treatment (and the best daily spend card out there). The Marriott deal was good earn and burn, with much more limited on property benefits. Now we're getting good earn (not counting gutting of SPG Amex for daily spend), a blended approach on burn, and a dumpster fire when it comes to program functionality and enforcement of the rules against properties. Against that setting, the Cat 8 pricing undoubtedly feels to some like a slap in the face. It may not matter to you, but there are many here who are not happy about the changes overall, and there is IMO an objectively reasonable basis for that dissatisfaction.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:06 am

Seems they will open ahead of schedule. Now bookable from 1 May instead
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I'm able to book starting in mid-April. Any updates on the construction or opening?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I'm able to book starting in mid-April. Any updates on the construction or opening?
I see that also...and Im going to be there then.....

The only thing is at those prices (HKD 5300) is it worth it at startup?.....Im sure not everything will be operational... and there are bound to be hiccups...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by elg26
I see that also...and Im going to be there then.....

The only thing is at those prices (HKD 5300) is it worth it at startup?.....Im sure not everything will be operational... and there are bound to be hiccups...
Even if everything is operational, at that price I can't see myself staying here when it's about the same price as the RC's club level deluxe room. I guess if you're hoping for a nice suite upgrade?
elg26 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

As much as I love StR, I caution anyone staying there in the first at least 6 months or so. There ALWAYS are issues with service and operations, let alone food/beverage and the hard product, at any new hotel for that period--and they can be particularly fraught with peril in a luxury environment. Especially if you pay top dollar to not get the concomitant experience delivered.

I learned this the hard way while staying at the formerly near-perfect St Regis Bahia Beach which reopened post-Maria only 6 weeks prior to my stay in Feb 2019. It was a beautiful hard product but with way too many service and food/beverage fails to mention here. Not to mention air con issues. It wasn't worth its full rates, and they knew it.

Tread carefully!
elg26 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Even if everything is operational, at that price I can't see myself staying here when it's about the same price as the RC's club level deluxe room. I guess if you're hoping for a nice suite upgrade?
Thats what Im thinking..... Id take RC Club room over that .....

I guess I could also shave 800HKD and stay at the new Rosewood instead.....if I wanted to try a "pretty new thing"
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:21 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to hearing reports. We have a visit planned here next February.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I am sorry to again disagree. From the legacy SPG perspective, Cat 8 pricing even with peak at 100K will be just a little less than the old 35K (comparable to 105K in Marriott points) peak pricing for SPG Cat 7 hotels--which comprises the overwhelming bulk of the new Cat 8 list. At non peak 85K, that's still less than the 30K SPG charged. And SPG had no discount for off-peak at all.

I was happy to pay 30K per night for years for top tier properties at SPG. So paying the SPG equivalent of 28,333 now does not seem bad at all. And it’s even better with 5th night free (22,667)

If my SNAs clear- that will secure a room that sells for 7500+ HKD.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:51 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I would have never paid 35k in the old SPG days though. It just wasn't a sweet spot on the chart, and I much preferred to spend my points on moments or miles.

At the end of the day paying 100k is almost like spending $1k given how much those points can be worth somewhere else and that's just not competitive with cash rates and with other comparable properties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.