Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by helvetic
St Regis has no views. Ritz has great views from the top of the tallest building in HK.

St Regis will give you breakfast, Ritz won't. Both will upgrade you to a suite if you're titanium.

Ritz is far from anything interesting to do — nothing's walkable aside from Elements mall. St Regis is in Wan Chai with a lot more things walkable in the immediate vicinity. St Regis is occasionally along the path from the CWB to Central marches, but I wouldn't expect too much trouble lately. Ritz is immediately above the express train to the airport.

The Grand Hyatt should also be considered as it has a lovely club lounge and amazing views (almost prettier than the Ritz given the height).
I think that's a more hypothetical than actual in both places, unless you are a frequent returning guest.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I think that's a more hypothetical than actual in both places, unless you are a frequent returning guest.
They're required to upgrade you to a suite if it's available. Chances are very high right now, given occupancy at both hotels is very low.

But yes, if standard suites are sold out, you won't get one.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They're required to upgrade you to a suite if it's available. Chances are very high right now, given occupancy at both hotels is very low.

But yes, if standard suites are sold out, you won't get one.
Yes, but there is usually always a fair number of Titanium members staying on any given day. And the chance of actually being one that gets the upgrade is rather low, unless you are a retuning guest they know well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
St Regis has no views. Ritz has great views from the top of the tallest building in HK.

St Regis will give you breakfast, Ritz won't. Both will upgrade you to a suite if you're titanium.

Ritz is far from anything interesting to do — nothing's walkable aside from Elements mall. St Regis is in Wan Chai with a lot more things walkable in the immediate vicinity. St Regis is occasionally along the path from the CWB to Central marches, but I wouldn't expect too much trouble lately. Ritz is immediately above the express train to the airport.

The Grand Hyatt should also be considered as it has a lovely club lounge and amazing views (almost prettier than the Ritz given the height).
When there are protests (there’s one today) they have limited the Airport Express to not stop at Kowloon and other intermediary stations at certain hours, which effectively cuts off RC.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yes, but there is usually always a fair number of Titanium members staying on any given day. And the chance of actually being one that gets the upgrade is rather low, unless you are a retuning guest they know well.
This has been discussed before (CPH-Flyer should know about my difficulties in CPH!) - hotels are NOT required to upgrade you to a suite even if they are available - Marriott told me that hotels determine which suites have been allocated to the upgrade pool (meaning they can do what they want).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
This has been discussed before (CPH-Flyer should know about my difficulties in CPH!) - hotels are NOT required to upgrade you to a suite even if they are available - Marriott told me that hotels determine which suites have been allocated to the upgrade pool (meaning they can do what they want).
Except (1) that's incorrect they are required to upgrade to the standard suite category, and (2) both of these hotels play by the rules and upgrade to suites when available.
Dave510 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Except (1) that's incorrect they are required to upgrade to the standard suite category, and (2) both of these hotels play by the rules and upgrade to suites when available.
Although in the case of the RCHK, most would probably prefer the Grand Victoria Harbour room over the standard suite.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:12 am

I wish you were right but when I took this up with Marriott through the Lurkers here, this is the very unhelpful reply I received:

Complimentary room upgrades are a benefit we are happy to offer our Platinum Elite Members whenever possible. Room upgrades are based entirely on the hotel's discretion. Our hotels do their best to honor such requests, but special accommodations are based on availability and are not guaranteed.

As outlined in section 1.7.e. of our Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, "All Loyalty Program benefits, amenities, offers, awards and services are subject to availability and may be changed at any time without notice." You can view these terms here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi.

Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze

Thanks helvetic, after all your replies I am leaning towards the St. Regis for the breakfast and the location. I will use SNA, so I hope that can get us a suite upgrade, for our dates all suites are still available online.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I wish you were right but when I took this up with Marriott through the Lurkers here, this is the very unhelpful reply I received:

Complimentary room upgrades are a benefit we are happy to offer our Platinum Elite Members whenever possible. Room upgrades are based entirely on the hotel's discretion. Our hotels do their best to honor such requests, but special accommodations are based on availability and are not guaranteed.

As outlined in section 1.7.e. of our Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, "All Loyalty Program benefits, amenities, offers, awards and services are subject to availability and may be changed at any time without notice." You can view these terms here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi.
What they are saying is that it is well-attested by those who have stayed at these properties that they do upgrade your room when possible.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
In my experience they don't automatically upgrade to a suite despite low occupancy. I had a stay a couple of months back, booked into the cheapest room category. They said they had upgraded my room but it appeared to be only by one class. I subsequently had some trouble with the facilities in the room which necessitated a room change. At this point they moved me to a suite. So there was clearly availability (I checked in at 9 or 10 pm) and they chose not to upgrade to it. It was my first and will be my only stay there.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
Although in the case of the RCHK, most would probably prefer the Grand Victoria Harbour room over the standard suite.
When I stayed there, they gave me a complimentary upgrade to a the "DELUXE VICTORIA HARBOUR SUITE" — best of both worlds, I get a suite + the harbor view. Great treatment at the Ritz HK overall, solid elite treatment (beyond the requirements), and an upgrade beyond the standard category.

I agree I'd typically prefer to get the view over the suite if it's a choice between the two.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Frab1
Thanks helvetic, after all your replies I am leaning towards the St. Regis for the breakfast and the location. I will use SNA, so I hope that can get us a suite upgrade, for our dates all suites are still available online.
Seems you're Platinum, do keep in mind that Platinum is NOT eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton. Only Titanium and Ambassador get them officially. While at St. Regis you'd be eligible. Another reason for you to pick StR IMO.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
Seems you're Platinum, do keep in mind that Platinum is NOT eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton. Only Titanium and Ambassador get them officially. While at St. Regis you'd be eligible. Another reason for you to pick StR IMO.
I got Titanium Elite (as per my note above with >75 nights), just cannot keep up with the 6 different tiers at Marriott ...
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Just stayed at St Regis HK and was upgraded to Metropolitan Suite. It was very nice! Huge room, loved the shower and the Dyson hairdryer. Enjoyed the complimentary coffee and tea in the room. The French restaurant L'Envol was also excellent (I think they are aiming for, and will likely get, Michelin stars). We also like the location -- not as inconvenient as some previous posts suggested. We quite enjoyed the stroll along the harbour (the broadwalk is a 5-minute walk from the hotel), and our walk to Causeway bay (15 minutes). I suppose it'll be more unpleasant in the summer heat, but at this time of the year, weather is perfect and we could use the exercise to digest the dim sum, steaks, cakes and pastries that we consumed!
Dave510 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.