Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by shxyz
called in for 5 nights reservation, but they require $200 extra charge if the stay includes weekends. Any one had the same issue?
That must be a new rule. We arrived on a Saturday, and weren't charged extra.

Just in case someone is on the fence about this offer: If you are flexible with your dates, absolutely take it! It's the real deal. We got upgraded to a two bedroom villa, but with a view of the parking garage (seems to be common for those on this deal, but hard to complain at this price point). Condos are top-notch, but expect a bit of a more low-key and hands-off service experience compared to a similarly tiered hotel. Pool area was meh (quite small and cramped), but we just went to the beach instead most of the time (easy to do with the included rental car and the complimentary shuttle service; the beach right in front of the property is also an option in a pinch, though not the most beautiful one).

The timeshare sales pressure is also reasonable, nothing too bad. Your "personal concierge" will send you an email and call your room when you arrive, inviting you to a "welcome meeting" that is mandatory to get your $75 resort credit. The meeting was very nice, my concierge gave me a lot of very good tips about things to see, restaurants etc., and handed me two Westin branded tote bags (very handy for carrying extra stuff to the beach) and a box of Hawaiian Host chocolates. At the very end of course he invited me to an optional timeshare presentation, with either another $100 resort credit or 6,000 Starpoints as incentives. I picked an appointment, but later cancelled that by email. Got a very low-pressure response back, inviting me to a short 10-minute presentation in exchange for a raffle entry, which I just ignored.

One interesting tidbit is that the $75 credit covered parking fees, contrary to what I've read in the fine print. Perfect!

At the end, Avis for some reason failed to subtract the $185 voucher from my rental car bill and I had to chase that, but it look like I'm going to get my money back.

All in all an excellent, fairly inexpensive trip, would definitely do again!
innerspace likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
How are platinum member benefits handled when staying on one of these 6 day 5 night offers? Will I still get daily breakfast? For 2 of us an upgrade isn't needed but wondering about other benefits. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
How are platinum member benefits handled when staying on one of these 6 day 5 night offers? Will I still get daily breakfast? For 2 of us an upgrade isn't needed but wondering about other benefits. Thanks in advance.
The T&C of the offers are typically very specific and it also depends on whether the offer was from Westin or from Vistana (the timeshare company). If you are staying as a "hotel" guest then you will receive breakfast and you will receive free internet. If you are staying as a "timeshare" guest then you will receive free internet.

The Platinum benefit that is never provided in these type of offers is a 4:00 p.m. late checkout. The Platinum benefit that is rarely provided in these type of offers is an upgrade. However, unlike the offers at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and WKORV North there are no Studios at Nanea. The minimum villa is a 1-bedroom. And even though I said that upgrades were rare, there are better odds of an upgrade at Nanea since there are only 48 1-bedroom Resort View villas and there are 294 2-bedroom Resort View villas.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

I just got this offer in the mail the other day and am considering it. However, I am wondering why some people get offers of $679 and others (like me) get offers of $898? Is there any way to negotiate down to the $679 price or other lower prices that I've seen posted around on forums?

Also for those who went and had to sit through a timeshare presentation, did it state this on your offer? My offer says nothing about timeshares or presentations so I was wondering if you knew this was coming or was it a surprise? It sounds like some people didn't have to do the meeting, so I'm just curious.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Moniqua
I just got this offer in the mail the other day and am considering it. However, I am wondering why some people get offers of $679 and others (like me) get offers of $898? Is there any way to negotiate down to the $679 price or other lower prices that I've seen posted around on forums?

Also for those who went and had to sit through a timeshare presentation, did it state this on your offer? My offer says nothing about timeshares or presentations so I was wondering if you knew this was coming or was it a surprise? It sounds like some people didn't have to do the meeting, so I'm just curious.
It will be very clear in the T&C of the offer if a timeshare presentation is required.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:44 pm

Anyone want to review this hotel? I just read the whole thread and 1 quasi review. We are booked for an April stay.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Anyone want to review this hotel? I just read the whole thread and 1 quasi review. We are booked for an April stay.
Sure, but not until my March stay! I stayed last March also but I'm not going to write a review from 10 months ago.

Is there anything in particular you would like to know?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Sure, but not until my March stay! I stayed last March also but I'm not going to write a review from 10 months ago.

Is there anything in particular you would like to know?
Mostly interested in pool, restaurant, and how family friendly it is. Traveling with a 2 & 4 year old.

Booked 1 BR on points. Have the old Gold SPG status, whatever they call it today. Wondering if I have any chance of 2 BR upgrade at check in. But it'll be fine if they don't.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:04 pm

Mostly interested in pool, restaurant, and how family friendly it is. Traveling with a 2 & 4 year old.

Booked 1 BR on points. Have the old Gold SPG status, whatever they call it today. Wondering if I have any chance of 2 BR upgrade at check in. But it'll be fine if they don't.
I'm going to doubt that you'll get an upgrade to a 2BR based on Marriott "Bonvoy" status, especially if your stay dates are prior to April 15 as that will still be in whale watching season and therefore the resort will probably be fairly full. If after the 15th, there is a possibility since you will be out of the peak whale watching season and there are fewer 1BR villas.

We found the resort to be family friendly. We were a family of 6 adults with one 16 month old. Cribs are complimentary if you need one for the 2 year old. Request the crib now as they are first-come first-served.

The restaurant Mauka Makai receives mixed reviews. We thoroughly enjoyed our two dinners there. Within walking distance are numerous restaurants including the restaurants at the two Westin sister resorts. Pizza Paradiso is also within walking distance for a great carryout pizza. There are numerous gas grills on the property if you would prefer to grill out and eat around the grills or in your villa.

The pool is nice with a walk-in sand beach feature. But your kids will be interested in the Pirate Pool located between Westin Ka'anapali Resort Villas and Westin Ka'anapali Resort Villas North.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I found this thread on Westin and Nanea in the TUG forum.

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....ations.257542/
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:45 pm

I'm also curious on the likely hood of a 2 BR upgrade. I'm traveling in July with my family (6 total). We've got young kids so we can make the 1 BR work, but a 2BR would obviously be nicer. I've got Marriott Platinum Elite status.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Brewer20
I'm also curious on the likely hood of a 2 BR upgrade. I'm traveling in July with my family (6 total). We've got young kids so we can make the 1 BR work, but a 2BR would obviously be nicer. I've got Marriott Platinum Elite status.
I hope the kids are very young since the 1 BR has a capacity of 4. I would not count on an upgrade. You really need to rent what you need. That one bathroom is going to be busy and remember it is only 840 sq. ft.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:27 pm

It's an cool looking property, the beach, pool and being close to town are what made it for us. Being a vacation resort, it's weird that you have stringent towel tickets rules and the staff were weirdly inflexible for food and renting equipment (e.g., breakfast buffet only no substitutions like getting fruit only such as pineapple and papaya which were not in buffet, was two minutes late dropping of snorkeling due to a long line at the pool rental location and charged a $200 dollar fee which I later got removed only after talking to front desk person at checkout). As Platinum, we were given a great upgrade but basic little things didn't work. The screen for the windows kept on falling down (sleeping with the windows open listening to waves was amazing!), the light switches in the kitchen didn't work when the dimmer was turned up to the max, the sink faucet came off the counter top because it wasn't screwed down and the dishwasher came out of its housing when we ran it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:51 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I bit: $798 for 5 nights, one-bedroom w/ kitchen + 15k points + 6-day Avis intermediate.

I really don't mind the timeshare presentation as I enjoying saying "no" and in embarrassing Mrs. Jailer in that I am really more annoying than TS salespeople. Besides, we are really Kihei and Wailea people finding Ka'anapali less entertaining and geographically inconvenient.

The rub is that reservations can't be made this far in advance for early November or December, two available windows for us. I appreciate that Xmas is out, but as part of a two week trip might go as early as 12/12 on AA reservations 12/12-12/26 on hold: anybody have luck that late last year?

I am also wondering about rates to extend the Avis reservation, any experience with this?

Tanks, J.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jailer
I bit: $798 for 5 nights, one-bedroom w/ kitchen + 15k points + 6-day Avis intermediate.

I really don't mind the timeshare presentation as I enjoying saying "no" and in embarrassing Mrs. Jailer in that I am really more annoying than TS salespeople. Besides, we are really Kihei and Wailea people finding Ka'anapali less entertaining and geographically inconvenient.

The rub is that reservations can't be made this far in advance for early November or December, two available windows for us. I appreciate that Xmas is out, but as part of a two week trip might go as early as 12/12 on AA reservations 12/12-12/26 on hold: anybody have luck that late last year?

I am also wondering about rates to extend the Avis reservation, any experience with this?

Tanks, J.
I assume you must make the reservations less than 8 months in advance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.