Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by 19103_aa
A friend is planning a milestone birthday at this property for mid November (before Thanksgiving). Questions:
1) Reviews here and elsewhere frequently mention "great for kids/families." We're an adult couple with no kids and wonder if we might be overwhelmed. We love the kiddos but looking for maybe a different vacation experience.
2) Given 1), we are contemplating the Westin Ka'anapali instead, specifically the new Ocean tower. Is this convenient walking distance to Nanea (so we can visit easily with our friend)?
We've stayed multiple times at the Westin Kaanapali Villas and will soon stay at the Nanea. Both the Nanea and Villas are family focused. Villas are more spread out, and there are a lot of areas that provide some quiet. The Nanea does not have as much of this. The pool/common areas are all central, and it was way more chaotic than the Villas when we went last July. Rooms are definitely nicer at Nanea though.

I'm not sure what you mean by a new Ocean tower. Are you talking about the renovated Westin Maui? That's the traditional hotel directly fronting Kaanapali beach. Confusingly, the Westin Kaanapali Villas are actually north of Kaanapali beach, fronting Kahekili beach. None have any new towers AFAIK. Westin renovations should be done by November.
19103_aa and FBWFTW like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Room/Building Requests?

Have an upcoming 7 night stay booked in a 2BR via Marriott/Bonvoy website direct by a family member who is lifetime titanium elite from the Marriot side. Does anyone have any recommendations on room or building requests? We were unable to book 2BR ocean view (I think it’s resort or mountain view iirc) thru the website and we had seen some time share Vrbo type offers for ocean view online but were loathe to change it due to the status. We don’t particularly care about oceanfront. Just trying to avoid the parking garage view for the week.

edit: is it possible to request a 2BR lock off or is it luck of the draw? I THINK I saw the diagrams for those units (may be wrong Westin Villas) having two whirlpool tubs and a common entry to the kitchen/living area

Any tips, ideas or suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to this trip. It’s a big one for the family.

Last edited by FBWFTW; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
Have an upcoming 7 night stay booked in a 2BR via Marriott/Bonvoy website direct by a family member who is lifetime titanium elite from the Marriot side. Does anyone have any recommendations on room or building requests? We were unable to book 2BR ocean view (I think it’s resort or mountain view iirc) thru the website and we had seen some time share Vrbo type offers for ocean view online but were loathe to change it due to the status. We don’t particularly care about oceanfront. Just trying to avoid the parking garage view for the week.

edit: is it possible to request a 2BR lock off or is it luck of the draw? I THINK I saw the diagrams for those units (may be wrong Westin Villas) having two whirlpool tubs and a common entry to the kitchen/living area

Any tips, ideas or suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to this trip. It’s a big one for the family.
Westin Nanea does not have 2BR lockoff units. Nanea was developed after Maui changed its laws outlawing the new construction of lockoff units. The 2BR will be more like a 2BR apartment.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum
I am trying to decide between the Westin Nanea Villas the the RC Kapalua for a family vacation next spring or summer (2021). I am also considering the Marriott Wailea, though I prefer the Lahaina side of the island. There would be six of us-- my parents, my wife, me, and our two kids 4 and under. We've stayed at the RC before and we did enjoy it but it was far from the beach. Nanea would appear to rectify that.

If we had an oceanfront unit can you hear the surf? People talk of how calm the water is here, which would be great for kids but if you can't hear the waves then you lose some of the benefit (relaxing sound) of being oceanfront.

I'm also curious of the restaurant and room service situation here. Obviously there is the Westin Ocean Villas next door, which is very walkable. So that opens up a few more restaurants. For a week, assuming we ate at a few restaurants in town, did a luau somewhere, would we feel we had plenty of variety? The kitchen is more or less to help keep things for the kids. We might cookout once but I doubt we'd prepare a full meal in the kitchen.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Reisen
Someone earlier posted that Plats get 2 free breakfast buffets, and I can confirm this was the case last week (I chose that benefit over points as my Platinum benefit). It wasn't a fantastic buffet, but otherwise would have cost $28pp (I think that was the price). Kids under 13 are half price, and kids under 5 are free.
Just FYI for anyone reading this older post, breakfast is no longer an option for Platinum benefit. The only option is the extra points.

Also worth noting is there were no desks in the two bedroom room I had. I know it’s Maui and usually not an issue, but I thought I’d mention it as many are working remotely now.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, IHG Platinum Elite, Marriot Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by omegadeal
Just FYI for anyone reading this older post, breakfast is no longer an option for Platinum benefit. The only option is the extra points.

Also worth noting is there were no desks in the two bedroom room I had. I know it’s Maui and usually not an issue, but I thought I’d mention it as many are working remotely now.
Helpful heads up, thank you! Would love to hear any of your other thoughts on the property. I have a 5 night stay booked on 3/7. Finally able to use an offer I purchased in September of 2019.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by troypozi
Helpful heads up, thank you! Would love to hear any of your other thoughts on the property. I have a 5 night stay booked on 3/7. Finally able to use an offer I purchased in September of 2019.
Here is the link that they sent me a few days before arrival which sums it up nicely: https://hub.vacationclub.com/propert...-ocean-villas/

The major things in my opinion are reduced hours, hot tubs closed, and no housekeeping. Restaurants have reduced capacity and most are booked so I would go on opentable now and make any reservations you might want.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:27 am

Any recent stays here? Can Titanium expect to receive any recognition or benefits at all? Upgrade?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by tylerc
Any recent stays here? Can Titanium expect to receive any recognition or benefits at all? Upgrade?
currently here - no recognition as a Bonvory Titanium member during check in. The room is very nice and updated.

The comments regarding the main pool is valid - at 10:00am the pool was already very crowded with people having put their towels out way in advance (drives me crazy).

The area thats quieter is around the two plunge pools, which is more “adults” only as well as the cananas that you can rent.

Both restaurants are open again, and the market is open as well.

Only thing that really really sucks is that the fitness center is only open until 2pm - i’m guessing due to staffing (they have someone there checking vax cards/ids)

hope this helps!
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:01 pm

Hi
Arriving next week
Are beach chairs included? Any other add ons we should be aware of?
Advice for a stay with grandparents and kids?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by llbean
Hi
Arriving next week
Are beach chairs included? Any other add ons we should be aware of?
Advice for a stay with grandparents and kids?
Beach chairs are an extra charge and may be acquired through the pool hut. Be sure and treat the kids to shave ice from the on-property location.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jailer
Not overrun with kids, but generally a lot more than the Westin: hard to judge another’s tolerance level, but you can go to the next door sister property and can even bill food and drinks from there.
The place is absolutely overrun with kids in the whole pool area, IMO. Maybe I'm a little biased coming from the Ritz-Carlton the night before, but for me the atmosphere just does no compare in the least.
Originally Posted by omegadeal
They used to have free breakfast!? I was here last month and not a single point was awarded as a welcome, not even the usual 500 if stop by the timeshare desk and say hello.
Originally Posted by tylerc
Absolutely no recognition, very poor accommodation of late checkout. They gave me literally 1 hr extra and that was it. The room itself was nice and it felt like living in a home next to the ocean, but as a hotel experience I found it very poor and would not return unless it was very cheap and I had no expectations. The best property for me in Kaanapali by far is the Westin Resort and Spa, and Ritz-Carlton if you're willing to go slightly further afield. Maybe timeshares are just not for me...
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:01 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Also here and they’re claiming that the Elite Benefits Guarantee doesn’t apply to them because they are a villa and not a resort. Seriously?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
That’s always been the case with all of the Westin and Sheraton “Villa” properties. They’re vacation rentals — essentially condos, not hotels — so they’ve always offered limited Bonvoy benefits.

They do call that out on Marriott’s website, although it doesn’t seem to be as explicit as it used to be since the website changed:

We look forward to welcoming you to your happy place at one of our inspiring Westin® Vacation Club resorts.

Please enjoy several Marriott Bonvoy Member benefits including:
  • Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay
  • Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges
  • Free Night Awards, booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival

When renting at our ownership resorts, you are getting the keys to a Vacation Club Owner's vacation home. As such, we are unable to offer some Marriott Bonvoy Member benefits that may be available at Marriott branded hotels. These non-offered benefits include:
  • Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades
  • Late checkout
  • Suite Night Awards
  • Gift Shop Discount
  • Guaranteed Room Type
  • Marriott Bonvoy Events
  • 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability
  • Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
  • Your24
  • Instant Redemption Awards
Old May 19, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG/Marriott/Hyatt Gold
HI all - I posted in the WKORV master thread as well, but figured I'd try here too since that thread is pretty dead. I just received a WKORV timeshare promo offer (6 days/5 nights, 13K points, $75 credit, rental car) but the price is $1199. That is obviously considerably higher than the offers I received a couple years ago for $699 or whatever. I am interested in this promo offer but not at $1199. Can anyone here provide a referral or any tips on how to get this package (which of course still requires the TS presentation) for less? They are previewing and obviously trying to sell weeks at the Nanea Ocean Villas.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.