Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Barcelona, Spain

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Barcelona, Spain

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 26, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Just returned from a lovely stay at the Hotel Arts Barcelona, and Bonvoy is quite the topic of discussion. I am happy to report that upon check in at the lounge, I was welcomed as a platinum and within a short waiting period, upgraded from a basic club level room to a corner one-bedroom suite with views of the sea as well as the Gaudi church, la Sagrada Familia. As a Ritz Carlton property, I was prepared to be completely happy with receiving the exact room I booked, but it is the low season. Now, this week is Mobile World Congress and the hotel is almost sold out, with rates 150%+ higher than last week.

Originally Posted by dblue View Post
Also trying to decide between the Le Meridien and the Ren Barcelona... The difference is 15k points per night which feels somewhat significant, what is the upside of the LeM? Would I be better off going up to one of the 60k points options (Hotel Arts, Cotton House, EDITION)?
I'd say Le Meridien is a better hotel in a better location, if you want to be in the midst of Las Ramblas near la Boqueria. The Ren is close to a lot of shopping on Passeig de Gracia, restaurants, and to the Gaudi house, Casa Battlo. Hotel Arts is more points, but the service was excellent. Cotton House is even more points.

Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
W Barcelona is an overpriced and overrated hotel but it's been on my bucket list for some years and it's close to the beach so why not. Need to see if W Barcelona is overrated and overpriced with my own eyes.

Both Le Meridien and W Barcelona are ridiculously expensive (end of june) with 400-500Ä/Night (lol for real) but the rates will go down during spring and I'll then rebook my reservations.
Good choices, with middle of it all Le Meridien, and the only real Barcelona beach hotel in the W. Le Meridien (and Renaissance) prices are usually a step below the W and Hotel Arts (which is only steps from the beach). The W is only overrated and overpriced if you don't care about the stunning views and the hip vibe. Have fun!
joakgarp and damon88 like this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by daloosh View Post
Just returned from a lovely stay at the Hotel Arts Barcelona, and Bonvoy is quite the topic of discussion. I am happy to report that upon check in at the lounge, I was welcomed as a platinum and within a short waiting period, upgraded from a basic club level room to a corner one-bedroom suite with views of the sea as well as the Gaudi church, la Sagrada Familia. As a Ritz Carlton property, I was prepared to be completely happy with receiving the exact room I booked, but it is the low season. Now, this week is Mobile World Congress and the hotel is almost sold out, with rates 150%+ higher than last week.

I'd say Le Meridien is a better hotel in a better location, if you want to be in the midst of Las Ramblas near la Boqueria. The Ren is close to a lot of shopping on Passeig de Gracia, restaurants, and to the Gaudi house, Casa Battlo. Hotel Arts is more points, but the service was excellent. Cotton House is even more points.

Good choices, with middle of it all Le Meridien, and the only real Barcelona beach hotel in the W. Le Meridien (and Renaissance) prices are usually a step below the W and Hotel Arts (which is only steps from the beach). The W is only overrated and overpriced if you don't care about the stunning views and the hip vibe. Have fun!

Good to hear this about Hotel Arts since we will be there soon. Last time we stayed there was over 15 years ago and they gave us one of our best upgrades ever (through FHR).
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:00 pm

Hi guys, need some thoughts, Im deciding between AC Hotel Sants and Four Points. It looks like Four Points is closer to the action (a little further to get to by subway) but AC Hotel Sants is right near the train station. Google maps street view showed nothing really near the hotel while Four Points is on a nice pedestrian walkway. Also, how did you guys like the rooms?
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ayee007 View Post
Hi guys, need some thoughts, Im deciding between AC Hotel Sants and Four Points. It looks like Four Points is closer to the action (a little further to get to by subway) but AC Hotel Sants is right near the train station. Google maps street view showed nothing really near the hotel while Four Points is on a nice pedestrian walkway. Also, how did you guys like the rooms?
The rooms at the Four Points were fine. The street around the corner has nice shops and restaurants. The tram stop is steps away. It connects with the subway or take it all the way down to the park.
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I stayed at the Renaissance Fira, which is about 10mins in a taxi from the city centre. Modern hotel, rooms are OK, the restaurant is exceptionally good - both at breakfast and at dinner.
Old Jun 2, 19, 11:46 pm

Hello, I'm planning to visit Barcelona with my wife in May 2020 - which Marriott property should I try to book? We're looking at 5+ nights.
  • first time in Barcelona, we'll be doing the touristy thing so location is important to us - we want a property that has easy access to at least a few places you should visit on your first time in Barcelona. Sounds like Las Ramblas and Sagrada Familia are on the list.
  • we prefer upscale-to-luxury properties (our last few stays have been at a RC, JW, Westin, and W)
  • Ideally would like to book on points, will consider upper limit of cat 7 (60k/night)
  • currently Gold, and may/may not make it to Plat this year (we mostly travel for vacation) - so Plat benefits and recognition are not particularly important
  • upgrades would be nice, but the quality of the hard and soft product is more important (after location).
Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 2, 19, 11:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Iíd say Cotton House or the Edition are your two main choices, depending if you want a classic or modern vibe. Hotel Arts is a favourite of many here including me, but itís not quite as central as the two mentioned above. All 3 are fantastic hotels.
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would also add the Le Meridien to the Cotton House and Edition suggestions. The Cotton House is a bit higher end, but I really love the LM and have always gotten fabulous treatment from staff there and frequently upgrades to a full suite (admittedly as Platinum and not Gold). Itís right in Las Ramblas, which for me isnít my favorite spot to be but I love the hotel.
Cotton House is in a fantastic location along Passeig de Gracia, close to many main attractions, shopping and good restaurants. I havenít stayed at the Edition, but itís also in a terrific location, on the edge of the Born neighborhood with views of the Barcelona Cathedral (the Gothic-style cathedral, not Sagrada Familia, which is a basilica but not a cathedral). The Born is my favorite neighborhood in the city. All 3 of these hotels are within 10-15 minute walks from one another in a triangle.
The W and Hotel Arts are also luxury hotels but the location probably isnít ideal for you.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arnel View Post
Hello, I'm planning to visit Barcelona with my wife in May 2020 - which Marriott property should I try to book? We're looking at 5+ nights. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
ms. jmd001 and I visited Barcelona for the first time for 6 nights in April (2019). See my post for what I consider a rave review of Le Meridian. Being right on Las Ramblas has its pluses (e.g., location) and minuses (e.g., crowds and noise ... sometimes), but we definitely felt it was the right choice for us ... as tourists. I expect achieving Plat by the time you stay would enhance your experience.
Old Jun 21, 19, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by arnel View Post
Hello, I'm planning to visit Barcelona with my wife in May 2020 - which Marriott property should I try to book? We're looking at 5+ nights.
  • first time in Barcelona, we'll be doing the touristy thing so location is important to us - we want a property that has easy access to at least a few places you should visit on your first time in Barcelona. Sounds like Las Ramblas and Sagrada Familia are on the list.
  • we prefer upscale-to-luxury properties (our last few stays have been at a RC, JW, Westin, and W)
  • Ideally would like to book on points, will consider upper limit of cat 7 (60k/night)
  • currently Gold, and may/may not make it to Plat this year (we mostly travel for vacation) - so Plat benefits and recognition are not particularly important
  • upgrades would be nice, but the quality of the hard and soft product is more important (after location).
Any advice? Thanks in advance!
We stayed at the Cotton House last year on points as Platinum. I can't say it was a wonderful experience. The breakfast was amazing, so that was a plus. We were given a handicap accessible room with a window facing a wall less than a foot away. The roll in shower created a huge puddle in the entire bathroom - not just the shower area. The front desk admitted they gave us the room because we booked with points and that they'd had complaints about the bathroom in that room many times. This was mid-May, well before high tourist seasonThey sent us a nice snack tray and a candle as an apology as well as paid for a private car for us to the airport, which was a nice gesture, but didn't make up for four nights of frustration.

As far as agenda, I lived in Barcelona for two years. By far, my guests' favorite thing I took them to do was Dali's museum in Figueres - it's an easy day trip on the train. Especially on Las Ramblas, be aware of pickpockets, and be sure to check out the Boqueria. I wouldn't worry too much about proximity, as long as you're in the city center (don't go too far east or west) - Barcelona is not very big land-wise. I worked up in the hills and lived by the beach. On Friday afternoons, we would start wandering down the hill, stop in for a drink here and there, and keep going until we ended up in my neighborhood - usually a couple of hours. If one of the neighborhoods is having their festival during your visit - each one has one, some are relaxed and quaint, some are huge and frenetic - be sure to make it a point to go, even if the neighborhood isn't on any tourist list. Be sure to buy advanced tix for the Sagrada, as it does sell out (which wasn't the case when I lived there). If you do the Sagrada, I would make it a point to check out Parc Guell, too.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm playing tourist for a day with the GF in Barcelona and want to stay central so the Hotel Arts and W are out. I've stayed at the Ren a couple of times and been happy there, although I haven't had a good upgrade. It's also really convenient with the Aerobus.

The Ren and the LM are about the same price. The Cotton House is about 100 € more and I'm not seeing reports of great upgrades for higher tier members on FT so will probably go with the Ren or LM.

Any comparisons I should consider?

Thanks!