Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Barcelona, Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Barcelona, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Edition is a great brand, excellent across the board, should get more love here on Flyertalk. Hope to visit next year
I agree. I think people get turned off by the lack of free breakfast etc but the EDITION hotels in London and Barcelona are some of the best I’ve stayed at under the Bonvoy umbrella (and in general). Customer service and hard product are always the standout areas. Plus cool bars and perfect locations.
VSLover and tinkerbell78 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I stayed at the Barcelona EDITION for four nights last month and it was superb. The breakfast (included in STARS rate) was some of the best I have ever had at a hotel. Service is very good. Location is excellent for visiting the main tourist sites. Hard product is spot on. My only minor criticisms are that the sound proofing between rooms isn’t faultless and we did have brief debate about my guaranteed late checkout (they mistakenly thought it was subject to availability but then looked it up and graciously apologised and acknowledged the error). Overall, I think it’s one of the best Bonvoy hotels I’ve been to, and I tend to frequent the higher end.

By the way, I also had a lovely stay at the W for four nights after that. Having heard some previously negative experiences, I was very pleasantly surprised. The breakfast is very good and the room (studio suite on SNAs) was big, comfortable and tranquil. Gym and spa also pleasant and well equipped (steam room is so steamy and hot, it’s almost overwhelming). Customer service were very responsive, especially via the app.

By the way, I went for a long walk SNR passed by the Arts - the location is terrible unless you want to go clubbing, IMO. W location is actually better - far less industrial and closer to the beach. IMO, EDITION and Cotton House have the best locations for most people visiting Barcelona.

I am thinking of doing another four nights in Barcelona this month and may try the Cotton House for the first time, although a return to the EDITION is very tempting too.
I agree. I think people get turned off by the lack of free breakfast etc but the EDITION hotels in London and Barcelona are some of the best I’ve stayed at under the Bonvoy umbrella (and in general). Customer service and hard product are always the standout areas. Plus cool bars and perfect locations.
I have to be in Barcelona next week and may just give the Edition a try.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Edition is a great brand, excellent across the board, should get more love here on Flyertalk. Hope to visit next year
I would agree, EDITION is my favourite Marriott group brand (although I have a soft spot for a lot of Luxury Collection properties too, but it’s hardly a brand at all). I think the main reasons it doesn’t get more love are that i) elite benefits are pretty limited and that’s a large part of what this forum is about and ii) rooms are fairly small on average, certainly below the size expectations of a lot of American posters here. However, the quality of every EDITION outside of the US is incredibly high and if you are a millennial in their target market that would rather have a beautifully designed hotel in a central location with high quality finish, F&B and service rather than a large but probably drab room, they are great.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have to be in Barcelona next week and may just give the Edition a try.
If you have access to a luxury travel advisor and are staying a few nights, there’s a STARS and Save offer on intermittently at the moment. It gets you 20% off the rack rate plus 50 euros credit a night; with all the STARS benefits on top, including free breakfast for two (this costs 60-70 euros + a day, based on the bills we signed). You can’t get this rate booking through the Marriott app - you can only get 20% off and the 50 euros of credit a day. This is what we used during our stay and I’ve made a provisional booking for this month with the rate too. PM if you need an adviser. This is an honest tip; I don’t receive any commission lol.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I would agree, EDITION is my favourite Marriott group brand (although I have a soft spot for a lot of Luxury Collection properties too, but it’s hardly a brand at all). I think the main reasons it doesn’t get more love are that i) elite benefits are pretty limited and that’s a large part of what this forum is about and ii) rooms are fairly small on average, certainly below the size expectations of a lot of American posters here. However, the quality of every EDITION outside of the US is incredibly high and if you are a millennial in their target market that would rather have a beautifully designed hotel in a central location with high quality finish, F&B and service rather than a large but probably drab room, they are great.
Absolutely agree with all your points there. Food and service is superb at both Barcelona and London EDITIONs. Rooms a little small but well appointed. If you can get a Loft room, I reckon they are a good size for a couple. We are currently staying at the London EDITION again and the checkin gentleman recognised us from eight months ago and remembered my occupation - it was like being greeted by an old friend. That kind of service is rare.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you have access to a luxury travel advisor and are staying a few nights, there’s a STARS and Save offer on intermittently at the moment. It gets you 20% off the rack rate plus 50 euros credit a night; with all the STARS benefits on top, including free breakfast for two (this costs 60-70 euros + a day, based on the bills we signed). You can’t get this rate booking through the Marriott app - you can only get 20% off and the 50 euros of credit a day. This is what we used during our stay and I’ve made a provisional booking for this month with the rate too. PM if you need an adviser. This is an honest tip; I don’t receive any commission lol.
Thanks, I may PM you. I get MMF rates which show a charge of EUR224 for a dummy booking next week. Arts is EUR150 for the same day.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: Some
I think there is a minimum three night stay for the stay and save rate at most hotels by the way (although I think when I looked, Cotton House had loaded it incorrectly and was letting you use it for a one night stay). I have used it at both hotels, Hotel Arts increased the discount from 20% to 25% for a four night stay if I remember correctly, but that doesn’t apply everywhere.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I stayed at the Cotton House for a month in June-July, having locked in a long stay rate back when few tourists were allowed in. Because of the incredibly cheap rate (€1300 for the month for a room with balcony, including continental breakfast and weekly laundry not including dry cleaning), it didn’t include full service cleaning daily as with a normal stay. I was beyond lucky to get that rate.
The location is just perfect in my mind, as someone who has spent a lot of time in Barcelona over the years. Incredibly centric yet slightly off the busiest tourist paths. Easy to walk/bike to the beach (~30-40 minute walk), a couple minutes walk from Urquinaona Metro stop, just a few minutes from the Aerobús to the airport.
I love the arquitectural/interior design style of the hotel, and as I was working remotely, it was great to work from the library a couple hours a day. The rooftop pool has superb views of Sagrada Familia.

I stayed two additional nights in Barcelona at the Le Meridien, using free night certificates. The Le Meridien is a long-time favorite of mine. I find staff to be excellent and as Lifetime Titanium (previously lifetime Platinum SPG), I almost always get upgrades. This was no exception - I was given a 2-room suite on a high floor and also a welcome bottle of wine.
jtp1947 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Barcelona - Le Meridien, Cotton House, or Renaissance?

We will be 3 days in Barcelona next June. I am trying to decide between Le Meridien, Cotton House, or the Renaissance (not the R. Fira - that seems too far away). I am Marriott Platinum but none of them seem to have lounges.

Thoughts/experiences for each of these hotels? We are looking for a location in the middle of shopping, sights, and restaurants/bars.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would go for the Le Meridien or the Cotton House. Would only do Renaissance if much less expensive. Le Meridien and Cotton House are two of my favorite properties.
LM has been a favorite for a dozen-plus years. Have stayed there many times with very good upgrade success - initially as SPG Platinum, now as Lifetime Titanium. It’s very centric if wanting to be in a touristy area, right on Las Ramblas and a 10-minute walk from the start of Passeig de Gracia or El Born neighborhood. They have a jacuzzi and sun beds on a high floor with fantastic views of Barcelona.

I have only stayed at Cotton House once, but it was for a month this year on a long stay rate available due to Covid. I absolutely love the architecture and interior design of the hotel. I slightly prefer this location as it’s a bit off the most touristy spots. Still very close but I just like not being on Las Ramblas. It’s right between Passeig de Gracia and Arc de Triomf, and a 30-minute walk to the beach (LM is about same distance to the beach, although I suggest going to Bogatell or Mar Bella beaches rather than La Barceloneta if looking for a beach in the city). There’s a terrific large outdoor terrace on which breakfast is served as well as other meals and cocktails (you can eat inside too, I just don’t know why you would unless weather was bad!)
jtp1947 and Graciecatt like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
We will be 3 days in Barcelona next June. I am trying to decide between Le Meridien, Cotton House, or the Renaissance (not the R. Fira - that seems too far away). I am Marriott Platinum but none of them seem to have lounges.

Thoughts/experiences for each of these hotels? We are looking for a location in the middle of shopping, sights, and restaurants/bars.
Have you considered the EDITION? It’s in a similar location to the Cotton House and seems to tick the boxes you’re looking for. I would highly recommend the EDITION based on two recent stays.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by spainlover
I would go for the Le Meridien or the Cotton House. Would only do Renaissance if much less expensive. Le Meridien and Cotton House are two of my favorite properties.
LM has been a favorite for a dozen-plus years. Have stayed there many times with very good upgrade success - initially as SPG Platinum, now as Lifetime Titanium. It’s very centric if wanting to be in a touristy area, right on Las Ramblas and a 10-minute walk from the start of Passeig de Gracia or El Born neighborhood. They have a jacuzzi and sun beds on a high floor with fantastic views of Barcelona.

I have only stayed at Cotton House once, but it was for a month this year on a long stay rate available due to Covid. I absolutely love the architecture and interior design of the hotel. I slightly prefer this location as it’s a bit off the most touristy spots. Still very close but I just like not being on Las Ramblas. It’s right between Passeig de Gracia and Arc de Triomf, and a 30-minute walk to the beach (LM is about same distance to the beach, although I suggest going to Bogatell or Mar Bella beaches rather than La Barceloneta if looking for a beach in the city). There’s a terrific large outdoor terrace on which breakfast is served as well as other meals and cocktails (you can eat inside too, I just don’t know why you would unless weather was bad!)
The Renaissance is 180K points, Le Meridien is 200K points, and the Cotton House is 210K points. So they're all in the same point range. The photos of Le Meridien make it look like a business hotel - there doesn't seem to be any "charm" - would you agree with that? Is the Cotton House worth 30K more points?

Have you considered the EDITION? It’s in a similar location to the Cotton House and seems to tick the boxes you’re looking for. I would highly recommend the EDITION based on two recent stays.
Unfortunately the EDITION is 300K points so at an extra 100K, that's out of my league. It does look awesome though!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:21 am

The Renaissance is 180K points, Le Meridien is 200K points, and the Cotton House is 210K points. So they're all in the same point range. The photos of Le Meridien make it look like a business hotel - there doesn't seem to be any "charm" - would you agree with that? Is the Cotton House worth 30K more points?

Unfortunately the EDITION is 300K points so at an extra 100K, that's out of my league. It does look awesome though!
No worries, sounds sensible to choose another option if staying on points. I’ve been staying on STARS rates due to the generally low prices and a good offer with extra goodies. I would probably pick Cotton House out of the rest of the options, based on its location, appearance/apparent ambience, and reputation. I haven’t stayed at any of the options you are considering though, I’m afraid. LM is literally on La Rambla - walked past it earlier - so I don’t fancy that location personally due to the general kerfuffle and noise around that area.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:31 am

No worries, sounds sensible to choose another option if staying on points. I’ve been staying on STARS rates due to the generally low prices and a good offer with extra goodies. I would probably pick Cotton House out of the rest of the options, based on its location, appearance/apparent ambience, and reputation. I haven’t stayed at any of the options you are considering though, I’m afraid. LM is literally on La Rambla - walked past it earlier - so I don’t fancy that location personally due to the general kerfuffle and noise around that area.
lol we want to be in the kerfluffle! We only have a couple of days and want the most convenient location to not spend time in transit - plus being in the middle of everything is more fun!
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:33 am

lol we want to be in the kerfluffle! We only have a couple of days and want the most convenient location to not spend time in transit - plus being in the middle of everything is more fun!
It is a good location for accessing all the usual central tourist sites. I think Cotton House location also looks just as good, but maybe less noise directly outside your door/window! CH isn’t far from EDITION and we had no issues getting around in foot to all the central hotspots, if that helps?
spainlover and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.