Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am more bothered by the people sitting in the lobby yakking at one am than the lack of a view. And since my husband is here on work he does have to spend time on the phone and on his laptop so yes, he is the room for that, when not at the conference.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
The hotel is totally full this week and for most of January. Just finished 2 consecutive stays and Hana in between. LTPP Garden View first part of stay even though frequent visitors its just very busy with Xmas , NY and now this week.

Staff very friendly.

Last edited by GLOBALFLYERCT; Jan 9, 2019 at 5:55 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
If you have high status then you have the right out of loyalty to get something better than a standard garden room.
Yes, I'll take the quiet room with ocean view, and the hotel can give the crappy rooms to kapooncha and others who claim not to care one whit if they get the lobby-adjacent room with dumpster view. Everybody wins!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, I'll take the quiet room with ocean view, and the hotel can give the crappy rooms to kapooncha and others who claim not to care one whit if they get the lobby-adjacent room with dumpster view. Everybody wins!
Based on some other posts of yours I've seen, you come across like a very demanding hotel guest.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Based on some other posts of yours I've seen, you come across like a very demanding hotel guest.

You know you asked for that one! It's a matter of principal. I have been a Marriott awards member since the early 1980's when you had stickers you put on your bill ! LFT PP and 4100 +- room nights so yes I think I have earned the right to ask for a nice room,
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:32 pm
Suspended

You know you asked for that one! It's a matter of principal. I have been a Marriott awards member since the early 1980's when you had stickers you put on your bill ! LFT PP and 4100 +- room nights so yes I think I have earned the right to ask for a nice room,
I'm PP so of course I'd like a nice room. But considering the fact that I redeemed a 7 night travel certificate to get some incredible value here, I'll view it as a cherry on top, if it happens. I certainly won't act like I'm entitled to it.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
FYI our friend, silver, checked in same day, same rate, high floor, partial ocean view.
You should ask for the general manager. You were entitled the best available room at check-in. If you checked in online before he checked in then the hotel did not fulfill the terms and conditions.

I can't believe everyone in a better room -- even the same category as you are in now, but just in a quieter location -- paid a higher rate or had higher elite status.

I would also demand at least 25,000 points if, in fact, there were better rooms available.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I think many of us have written this property off it ...
What makes this property especially bad is the fact that it is managed by Marriott International, not some shady franchisee. It gives credence to what I've heard about there being division between the hotel development division, which services the owners (the real customers), and the loyalty division, which services the product (us, the guests) that the hotel development division sells to the owners.

If you have high status then you have the right out of loyalty to get something better than a standard garden room.
This is what frustrates me about a lot of properties, especially high-rise properties. Even when a suite isn't available I should at least get a room on the top or upper floors. There's no way that everyone in the same category of regular king rooms on floors above me has higher status.

I honestly think many hotels, especially once you get down to Courtyard, Sheraton, Renaissance, Westin and Marriott properties managed by third-party management companies, don't have a guest relations manager, rooms controller or operations manager reviewing the daily list of elite status customers and actually pre-blocking.

If lots of better rooms are available when I check-in at T-minus 48 hours, when the mobile application allows online check-in, then I'm entitled to the best room or suite that was available for the duration of my stay at that precise moment. Period.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 9, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

You guys are in Hawaii. I hope to God you aren't spending most of the time in the room. Get out and explore nature people!
Some people go to Hawaii to get away from their children and rekindle their marriage through sexual relations with their spouse.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Some people go to Hawaii to get away from their children and rekindle their marriage through sexual relations with their spouse.
Exploring the island and having sexual relations aren't mutually exclusive.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I think were headed into Omni territory..
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I believe FT rules prohibit me from sharing my thoughts about how you come across

But I will add that I do appreciate a nice room. That's to me the most important benefit of status. If the hotel doesn't live up to its obligations under program rules, I don't mind politely bringing that to their attention.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe FT rules prohibit me from sharing my thoughts about how you come across

But I will add that I do appreciate a nice room. That's to me the most important benefit of status. If the hotel doesn't live up to its obligations under program rules, I don't mind politely bringing that to their attention.

Loyalty has its benefits.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
After reading all the data points above about the (lack of) elite recognition at this property, I guess I can say I hit the jackpot when I stayed there in August. It was the week Hurricane Lane was supposed to hit so the place was empty. Booked three nights on points, and was upgraded (as a 50 night plat) to one of the Lanai Facing rooms with patio, which was steps away from the ocean. Seems like that is pretty rare here!

I have to admit, the brekky coupon for Starbucks was kind of a joke, but we did enjoy some lattes.

Advice to all...Take a walk to Gourmet Market for a cheap, and reasonably good meal!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Advice requested for Feb stay - thanks in advance

Booked on a discounted cash rate of ~$390/night for six nights in mid-Feb. Just me and my wife, I'm Plat and she's Gold. A few questions for the experts on the forum:

Hotel related:
- Best strategy for securing an upgrade, to the extent possible? I sometimes have good luck with calling the front desk and asking nicely a few days before check in. Any thoughts or suggestions on particular room type/location to request would be ideal.
- Sounds like the Plat breakfast is what it is - aka not great. Will probably take the Starbucks offer and do the upgrade to the full buffet on those days where we're hungry, or walk over to Wailea shops occasionally for a bite. What restaurant over there is best for a casual breakfast - is Gourmet Market (noted above) the only option or are there others?
- The gym looks like a good one... any idea how the fitness classes are? Looks like some may be included in the resort fee.
- Also, I saw mention of access to tennis courts but wasn't sure which ones as there don't seem to be any on the property. Anyone have experience with this - are they close, easy to get courts, what are the prices?

More generally:
- Should we rent a car? Have never been to Maui before and certainly want to get out and explore. If we do rent one, should we do so for a couple days and then stay on- or near to the property the other few days? If we don't rent the whole time, what's the best strategy for getting to and from the airport? Is it easy to get a rental car on the property or in the Wailea area?
- What are the best/"must do" items off property? We certainly like outdoor activities and beautiful sightseeing type opportunities.
- Any recs for nearby restaurants for dinners off property?

Many thanks in advance! I will post a review w/ some pictures after our stay.

Last edited by Nash_Andrew; Jan 15, 2019 at 3:56 pm Reason: Added reference to Gourmet Market on breakfast question

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.