Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Phrog05
Thanks for the insight! I think I'm going to book the better room with $ for the first few nights and then 5 on points at the lower level room and see if they'll just keep me in my first room
That is probably a very good strategy. Please come back and let us know whether it worked out for you.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by USirritated
That is probably a very good strategy. Please come back and let us know whether it worked out for you.
It's worked for me, twice (at other hotels).
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jjjansen
They did say I got free internet, but there were different levels. They didnt say I got the higher speed. However, didnt surf much so I didnt care. They made it a point at the Sheraton. "You get the higher speed as a Platinum".

Self Parking was free at MArriott. Valet was offered free the first day not for the stay. Valet was free the entire stay at the Sheraton (only cost tips).

Yes, as I read prior post my expectations were high. I was still pleased with my stay, but SPG won this round. I went to Desert Ridge in Scottsdale at Thanksgiving last year and they gave me a great suite. Golf there was good as well!
The only detail is the Desert Ridge is not in Scottsdale, but in North Phoenix.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
It's worked for me, twice (at other hotels).

It has also worked for me before. Good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
We just had a very nice 1 night stay to meet up with friends staying the week. We were able to get ocean front rooms next to each other. We got the amenity, wine and choc macadamia nuts for our late night snack. As always, the adult infinity pool was my main location for the stay. We do staycations here frequently and always get upgraded to an ocean view/front room. Everyone goes out of their way to help us.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Has anyone stayed at both the Wailea Marriott and the Maui Ocean Club? I would love a comparison between the two. I currently have reservations at both for 7 nights in November, although the price at Wailea is slightly better. They seem to get mixed reviews, although most comments are generally positive.

It's just Mr jtwiz and me, and we like being able to walk out at night to different restaurants, happy hours, etc. I'm concerned that the Maui Ocean club will be full of kids, but equally worried that we won't find enough choices for things to do at night in Wailea. It appears that there are nice options for pool and beach at both.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've stayed at both and prefer Wailea. There's plenty to do at night in the general vicinity (Kihei, mostly).

Bruce
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I've stayed at both and prefer Wailea. There's plenty to do at night in the general vicinity (Kihei, mostly).

Bruce
Thanks Bruce! I appreciate the feedback.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:28 pm

Bruce
Each to his (or her) own I wouldn't turn down either one, but we like the Kaanapali area better. Although I agree there was certainly enough to do in Kihei, we found the walking better from the Ocean Club, while Kihei is a drive (as is Lahaina from Ocean Club, to be fair). I'm also ignoring the fact that at the Ocean Club we've always had a 1 BR (sometimes a timeshare swap, but we've paid for it too), while at Wailea we just had a room, although with a better view.

Although there's also a lot to be said for the infinity pool at Wailea, no kids, relatively quiet . . .

As I said, each to his own. Just depends on your preferences.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jtwiz
Has anyone stayed at both the Wailea Marriott and the Maui Ocean Club?
Did this in April with two nights at the CY. (1st and last)

Bruce
Agreed. This was my preference.

Originally Posted by kar120c
Each to his (or her) own I wouldn't turn down either one, but we like the Kaanapali area better. Although I agree there was certainly enough to do in Kihei, we found the walking better from the Ocean Club.
It was a great beach to walk on, not so much for swimming. But miles & miles of sand, and we caught the tail end of a luau performance at the Hyatt IIRC. Also the BBQ Grills were a huge plus as I like to cook (Other guests like to look on too)

I'm also ignoring the fact that at the Ocean Club we've always had a 1 BR (sometimes a timeshare swap, but we've paid for it too), while at Wailea we just had a room, although with a better view.
As a Marriott Elite I didn't get any special treatment at the OC. Wasn't expecting anything, but an upgrade would have been nice. Oh and had issues with the a/c. Much better view at the FS Marriott (upgraded). A kitchen is great to have to cook.

Although there's also a lot to be said for the infinity pool at Wailea, no kids, relatively quiet . . .
That pool was cool! The OC had a lot of selection, and I even went down the water slide a couple times but to have a pool end like that- and quite the view too :-: Overall a more resortish feeling to the FS Marriott.

And to add the CY. Its a new build and very convenient to both OGG and Costco Great place to overnight if arriving late, or leaving early, and even as a base camp for an early drive up Haleakala ^.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:42 am

beckoa, I agree with pretty much everything you said. No upgrade at the OC (even when I was platinum), small upgrade at Wailea to better view on a points stay. (IIRC Bruce once posted he was upgraded to a suite at Wailea on points, no such luck for me.)

The OC has kitchenettes with microwave, toaster and stovetop I think, so much more ability to cook, and a blender for our own drinks (we stop at Costco off the plane and buy rum and mix). Wailea was just a room, had a frig and coffee maker I think. I think there were some grills at Wailea too (the OC has a bunch) but I can't remember for sure. Since we swim in the pools, not the ocean, the beach is for walking and Kaanapali is pretty long, there's also a paved walking path right next to the beach that goes pretty far, at the north end there's a hotel (Sheraton?) that has a cliff diver at sunset, and you can walk further north by crossing a golf course to another paved path.

The Wailea had a luau 3 or 4 nights the week we were there, our room was right next door, so we saw it for free, if at a short distance. After a couple of times, the novelty wore off and we ignored it

Wailea definitely felt more "resortish" and seemed quieter and less "kid friendly" but because of no kitchens we spent more on food and drinks, and had to drive more to get to non-hotel things (although there is one mall right next door with several restaurants).

I'm ready to go back to either one.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:44 pm

Ha! Your responses kind of prove out my dilemma, which is that you probably can't go wrong at either one. And that is not a bad problem to have.

Unless something changes, I will most likely stay at Wailea, if for no other reason that I got a great rate there. Why not save some $$ on the hotel and have it for eating out, etc.

Thanks SO much to all of you for responding!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: Starwood and Marriott Platinum
Long time reader, not much of a poster here. My wife and I are wrapping up 5 nights at the Wailea, so I thought I would do a quick summary.

Stayed here on points. I'm platinum... got upgraded the week before check in to an ocean front room in Hala 7. Just an awesome view from the room.

My overall impression of this hotel is that its all about the location. The views from the room and the infinity pool are just superior. The close proximity to a couple of world class beaches is also great.

However, in my opinion, the category 8 classification is ludicrous. I know the property is relatively aged, so I came into the vacation with tempered expectations. However, there are details that are just really unacceptable for a property like this. Examples:

- Really cheap shower amenities (cheap shampoo, conditioner). No body wash (important for a resort), and a couple of small bars of soap.
- Coffee in the room is the standard Marriott coffee maker - fine. But, powdered cream?
- Literally ZERO available power outlets on the bed side of the room. Had to unplug lights to plug in my iphone near the bed.
- The service at the Mala lounge is really poor. Had a couple of bad experiences there, and just refuse to go spend any more money there.
- Birds (non-exotic) are in abundance. I know wildlife is just something you need to deal with when going to any island, but birds literally eating fries from your plate by the pool and bird crap on pool chairs (and even on the chairs at the Mala lounge) is really annoying.
- There's a weird vibe to this place too. Very little local music played, the tiki's are only lit for a couple of hours at night, the pools all close at sunset, and there's only one outdoor bar (the waitresses at the infinity pool are fabulous and will get the drinks for you despite the walk). If it wasn't for the weather and the open lobbies, I'm not sure I would know if I was in Maui or the Caribbean.

The activities (beach, outdoor massage, adult pool, cabana rentals overseeing the beach, etc) makes it seem like its a location for couples looking for a distinguished getaway without the "party" atmosphere. But its not really run that way. As a picky traveler, the details really matter to me. I purposely take my vacations at higher end hotels so I don't have to worry about the little things. At hotels where the age shows, like the Wailea, the little things should matter more. That hasn't been my experience here.

Overall, my recommendation is this is a good resort if you can find a good rate. I don't think the points required for a cat 8 hotel is good value here - unless you really prioritize the view (which is great) and a great quiet pool location (the infinity pool). In comparison, I stayed on points at the JW in Orlando last month, which is a Cat 7... and that hotel just completely blows this one away.

I love the island - but if/when we come back, I'll probably look elsewhere. Let me know if there are any questions I can help answer about this property.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by convict:21065107
Long time reader, not much of a poster here. My wife and I are wrapping up 5 nights at the Wailea, so I thought I would do a quick summary.

Stayed here on points. I'm platinum... got upgraded the week before check in to an ocean front room in Hala 7. Just an awesome view from the room..
Thanks for the review. We stayed here last year and really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, good choices for beaches on either side, the infinity pool and the close proximity to the mall for food.

I booked again this year as a combined paid and points stay for 9 nights. I am gold and I'm wondering how best to score an upgrade. Did you call to request before arriving?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club

Bruce
+1

I stayed at Wailea on a combo of paid and points and had a great experience. I was upgraded to a one bedroom end cap suite in the first building (the taller building to the right as you face the open lobby from the street, and as Bruce will probably agree (I think he told me he got the same room I did), the view is just kick-a** up the coast and out the point to the ocean jetty. The smoothies at the infinity pool were dynamite, and there were good restaurant choices nearby. When I revisit Maui, I will definitely stay at Wailea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.