Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I think the Te Au Moana luau is definitely worth it, and that's coming from someone who's seen it at least a dozen times over the years (often comped as part of a conference I go to, but I've also paid for me and my family a few times). The food is really good, the entertainment on the better end of the touristy luaus, and the setting fabulous.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Finally I have stayed here for 9 nights during April. I was using 7-night OC8 certificate + 2 nights * 40000 points to stay there (booked before this became new Cat 6).

They upgraded me to Partial ocean view room from City view room, even I am a lowly Gold member. The view of ocean is via the pool and not really an ocean front.
The room is beautiful and the 2 Queen bed is spacious for 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Needless to say, I didn't get free breakfast but then I never expected one. We went to Island Gourmet at Wailea Shops to eat most of the time, and it is definitely great value for money comparing to eating at the hotel. It is only minutes walk from the hotel. Sometimes we ate at Starbucks and also buy snacks from the hotel convenience store.

The resort fee was unavoidable and we paid it, even though I don't think they should charge for people staying for awards. It seems to be applicable to USA.

The resort itself is very beautiful, and it is one of the best I have stayed. The kids loved the kids pool and the water slides. I enjoyed the water slides myself too. The infinity pool is amazing, and then the sunset really tops it off.

We had a great time at Maui, we hired a car and went all over Maui, including driving to Hana, Kipahulu and Haleakala summit. We also went to west Maui where the Sheraton/Westin/Ritz Carlton are located. I still preferred Wailea though.

Some people complained about the car park being too narrow. I am OK with it even though I hired a Nissan Maxima. Then again I noticed in mainland USA most car parks are very spacious and maybe people are not used to narrower parking. I always reversed parked the car which makes it easy to drive off when I want to drive the car off the carpark next day.

Given the room price I am happy that this hotel stays at Cat 6. It is very much worth it to redeem your certificate on this resort. Even better I booked on OC8 certificate and old rates of 40000 points per night. I certainly won't mind coming back again and I normally don't go back to same resort twice. It is because this resort is THAT good, and Maui is such a relaxing place.
acinchus likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Finally I have stayed here for 9 nights during April. I was using 7-night OC8 certificate + 2 nights * 40000 points to stay there (booked before this became new Cat 6).

They upgraded me to Partial ocean view room from City view room, even I am a lowly Gold member. The view of ocean is via the pool and not really an ocean front.
The room is beautiful and the 2 Queen bed is spacious for 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Needless to say, I didn't get free breakfast but then I never expected one. We went to Island Gourmet at Wailea Shops to eat most of the time, and it is definitely great value for money comparing to eating at the hotel. It is only minutes walk from the hotel. Sometimes we ate at Starbucks and also buy snacks from the hotel convenience store.

The resort fee was unavoidable and we paid it, even though I don't think they should charge for people staying for awards. It seems to be applicable to USA.

The resort itself is very beautiful, and it is one of the best I have stayed. The kids loved the kids pool and the water slides. I enjoyed the water slides myself too. The infinity pool is amazing, and then the sunset really tops it off.

We had a great time at Maui, we hired a car and went all over Maui, including driving to Hana, Kipahulu and Haleakala summit. We also went to west Maui where the Sheraton/Westin/Ritz Carlton are located. I still preferred Wailea though.

Some people complained about the car park being too narrow. I am OK with it even though I hired a Nissan Maxima. Then again I noticed in mainland USA most car parks are very spacious and maybe people are not used to narrower parking. I always reversed parked the car which makes it easy to drive off when I want to drive the car off the carpark next day.

Given the room price I am happy that this hotel stays at Cat 6. It is very much worth it to redeem your certificate on this resort. Even better I booked on OC8 certificate and old rates of 40000 points per night. I certainly won't mind coming back again and I normally don't go back to same resort twice. It is because this resort is THAT good, and Maui is such a relaxing place.
GOOD !
Old May 11, 2019, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I won't be coming back because I don't like paying 60 US dollars a night for a points stay. It doesn't feel free. But then again I could cover that expense with cash/travel rewards earned from churning credit cards!
Old May 29, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Any other experiences with the chairs and umbrellas on the beach? I called the hotel, and they claim that they have about 35 sets, and that you should get there about 15 minutes before they "open" at 8:00.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:01 pm

Heading here next month w/ my boyfriend to celebrate our birthdays / his graduation from residency. We booked a stay on points + paid to upgrade to a "premium ocean view" room. I'm Bonvoy gold, so not expecting a room upgrade & instead decided it was worth paying to get a room that I want (and potentially get upgraded to an even nicer room upon arrival).

Few quick questions:
Cabanas and casabellas - is it possible to reserve them in advance ? How much do they cost ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs next to each other at the adult only pool ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs at the beach ?

Thanks!
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
I'm still waiting on an answer about the availability of beach chairs, but as for the cabanas, the answer is yes, they can be reserved in advance (and I would advise doing so, as a lot were already reserved a month out from my stay). If you go to the "spa" section of the hotel website, there is a link halfway down the page to view cabana availability by date, pool area, cabana type, and pricing.

Ill be there in less than 2 weeks and will share my experience with the beach chairs.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kthpence
Heading here next month w/ my boyfriend to celebrate our birthdays / his graduation from residency. We booked a stay on points + paid to upgrade to a "premium ocean view" room. I'm Bonvoy gold, so not expecting a room upgrade & instead decided it was worth paying to get a room that I want (and potentially get upgraded to an even nicer room upon arrival).

Few quick questions:
Cabanas and casabellas - is it possible to reserve them in advance ? How much do they cost ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs next to each other at the adult only pool ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs at the beach ?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I'm still waiting on an answer about the availability of beach chairs, but as for the cabanas, the answer is yes, they can be reserved in advance (and I would advise doing so, as a lot were already reserved a month out from my stay). If you go to the "spa" section of the hotel website, there is a link halfway down the page to view cabana availability by date, pool area, cabana type, and pricing.

Ill be there in less than 2 weeks and will share my experience with the beach chairs.
I was there last summer, and my experience was a follows:
-There were plenty of empty cabanas as the prices are ridiculous
-Was able to get beach chairs (2) when I went down mid morning (10ish). Were some of the last chairs one day. The other day got pretty cloudy, even spitting a little rain at one point so there were plenty of empty chairs that day.
-Didn't go to the adults only pool as we had our son with us, but walked past if many times. Probably won't have any problems finding chairs in the morning. Afternoon could be a little trickier, but it never seemed overly crowded.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Thanks @Cledaybuck. I actually laughed out loud at the cabana prices when I saw them - it sounds like going with chairs will be ok.

Also, any idea if it is realistic to make a drink up in the room (in an enclosed container like a Yeti mug) and bring it down to the pool and/or beach? I've done this at other resorts without issues, but figured it's worth asking. I'd just prefer not to pay for $12 drinks when I can make a Vodka Soda for ~$1.
Cledaybuck likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by jsl_313
Also, any idea if it is realistic to make a drink up in the room (in an enclosed container like a Yeti mug) and bring it down to the pool and/or beach? I've done this at other resorts without issues, but figured it's worth asking. I'd just prefer not to pay for $12 drinks when I can make a Vodka Soda for ~$1.
Haha. While we did buy a few drinks while we were there (including walking all the way over to the bar at the restaurant because there is no happy hour in the bar by the pool with the water slides), we also brought wine down in an insulated metal water bottle while we were there. So, yes. Very realistic.
kthpence and jsl_313 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Haha. While we did buy a few drinks while we were there (including walking all the way over to the bar at the restaurant because there is no happy hour in the bar by the pool with the water slides), we also brought wine down in an insulated metal water bottle while we were there. So, yes. Very realistic.
Perfect. Yeah, we'll probably buy a couple drinks if/when we have meals at the resort. Any happy hour specials or similar things we should be aware of?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jsl_313
Perfect. Yeah, we'll probably buy a couple drinks if/when we have meals at the resort. Any happy hour specials or similar things we should be aware of?
There is a happy hour at Kapa. If I remember correctly it is something like 4-6. Nothing great, but does knock a few dollars off the drinks. Takes them from stupid expensive to just regular expensive.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
There is a happy hour at Kapa. If I remember correctly it is something like 4-6. Nothing great, but does knock a few dollars off the drinks. Takes them from stupid expensive to just regular expensive.
Granted I live in San Francisco, but excluding their cocktails (which are quite expensive, but to be expected in Hawaii), their wine actually seems incredibly reasonable. $12-$15 for a 6oz pour & $18-$22 for a 9oz pour seems pretty fair to me...Assuming this puts their bottle prices in the $45-$70 range, which is much cheaper than San Francisco!

https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit.../KAPA_Menu.PDF
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Granted I live in San Francisco, but excluding their cocktails (which are quite expensive, but to be expected in Hawaii), their wine actually seems incredibly reasonable. $12-$15 for a 6oz pour & $18-$22 for a 9oz pour seems pretty fair to me...Assuming this puts their bottle prices in the $45-$70 range, which is much cheaper than San Francisco!

Having lived in the valley and Half Moon Bay I well know the cost of everything however in comparing a glass of wine one must also take into consideration the wine itself I have sent a few bottles back in the islands due to lack of proper storage. If one is buying 45-70 range in the islands it sounds like 14 hands
jtp1947 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:20 am

As an Upstate NYer, $12-15 for a 6 oz pour is laugh-out-loud expensive, considering a decent bottle could be had here for $12. But as you said, it's Hawaii, so to be expected. I'll pay a markup on drinks at dinner of course, but I'm certainly not planning to pay resort prices for drinks at the pool throughout the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.