Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: windhund
Wiki Link
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 25, 18, 5:30 am
Suspended

I think I've settled on using my travel cert for the Marriott Wailea (once Marriott gets their issues resolved). And then 3 nights at the Andaz. Will use the time at the Marriott to go explore Maui, Andaz will spend more time just chilling at the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
That's true. The Andaz has a long way to go to catch up to the Marriott in terms of physical condition, restaurants, and especially customer service.
As someone who dines at both each year, agree to disagree
Old Aug 25, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsc111 View Post
No and if you are in the pool without the GW wrist band you will get tossed...or at least asked to get a wrist band...
When we were last at the GW, daily wristbands were about $100 pp. They will not let you use their pool for free, as should be expected.
Old Sep 2, 18, 2:41 pm

*Disregard post

Last edited by Ops5; Sep 2, 18 at 8:44 pm
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Have 7 day stay in February. Curious if any new platinum members who stay there post merger get upgraded to best avail room and get free breakfast per new Marriott rules. Not holding my breath for either as very popular place and they are likely considered resort so can renege on comp breakfast.
Old Sep 6, 18, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Originally Posted by cdoobiest View Post
Have 7 day stay in February. Curious if any new platinum members who stay there post merger get upgraded to best avail room and get free breakfast per new Marriott rules. Not holding my breath for either as very popular place and they are likely considered resort so can renege on comp breakfast.
Expect to be nickle and dimed at this resort.

Luckily I beat them at their nickle and dime: The second day after I checked-in, I noticed that their parking gate was out of service and continually open, so I told reception that I no longer have a car and to stop charging me the parking fee. The parking gate remained out of service and I was able to park my car without paying their extortionary parking fee for the rest of my 7 night stay

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 7, 18 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
Luckily I beat them at their nickle and dime: The second day after I checked-in, I noticed that their parking gate was out of service and continually open, so I told reception that I no longer have a car and to stop charging me the parking fee. The parking gate remained out of service for the rest of my 7 night stay and I was able to park my car without paying their extortionary parking fee
In other words, you lied and cheated, and now you're bragging about it.

There are times that my sympathy lies entirely with the property.
DJ_Iceman and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
In other words, you lied and cheated, and now you're bragging about it.

There are times that my sympathy lies entirely with the property.
my sympathy lies with consumers, who in this instance were promised free stays, then they got nickle and dimed and bait and switched with extortionary resort and parking fees.

This is is travel hacking and the properties can afford not to charge extortionary resort and parking fees for the few stays that are award stays.
pokee likes this.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 7, 18 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:32 pm

[left]
my sympathy lies with consumers, who in this instance were promised free stays, then they got nickle and dimed and bait and switched with extortionary resort and parking fees.

This is is travel hacking and the properties can afford not to charge extortionary resort and parking fees for the few stays that are award stays.
Agreed! We all cheat the system around here to a certain degree or another to save money and/or get more points. Not paying for parking isn't hurting anyone - I'm sure the hotel does JUST fine! Heck, I stayed at this place for 40K per day, with a free day and I got those points by doing self-referrals, holding multiple SPG cards, and getting the sign-up bonus multiple times, even though the T&C say I shouldn't be allowed to. Where travel is concerned, the more you can get for free - the better!
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Call it whatever you like, you're attempting to justify flat-out dishonesty. It's always saddening to be reminded that some people simply do not have personal codes of ethics, at least not when it comes to their own financial interests.

And I'm sure you knew what the resort and parking fees were when you confirmed the booking.
DJ_Iceman and davidsc111 like this.
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Call it whatever you like, you're attempting to justify flat-out dishonesty. It's always saddening to be reminded that some people simply do not have personal codes of ethics, at least not when it comes to their own financial interests.

And I'm sure you knew what the resort and parking fees were when you confirmed the booking.
When I applied for a Marriott account or credit card, there was no mention that some hotels will charge resort and parking fees for reward stays. I was promised free stays. It is akin to the carrier surcharges scam

I feel like the people who had a negative reaction to my post are themselves business owners and have the "you're gonna pay whatever we charge you and you will abide by all the terms and that we made you sign on to pritect OUR interests" anti-consumer mentality.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 7, 18 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
On another note, I stayed at Fairmont Kea Lani last year and parking was "free" as part of resort fee. They never had tag for car and just outside of parking lot is side street with free parking where employees parked. It is also where public beach access is which could be reason why it is free. Anyone who wants to save money on parking can park there, but it is good 20 min walk to Fairmont at least. I looked at other hotels closer to Wailea marriott and i think they all charge for parking.
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Any update on breakfast offering?

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:58 am

I decided to use two travel certificates for the Wailea Marriott in December. I’m not sure if I made a good choice. I called yesterday and learned that none of the pools are heated. Yikes. I’ve stayed in most of the hotels in Wailea and several in Kaanapali. The water in pools can be very cold in the winter if they are not heated. Ugh. I’ve read that the dark pool bottoms helps some. Does that really help in the winter? How are the jacuzzis? I read that there are only 2. Are they always full? Are they a decent size? Where are they located?

I was told that the platinum breakfast offering was “pastry of the day, a fruit cup, and coffee/tea” at Starbucks or their Whale’s Tale restaurant. Anyone tried that yet?
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04 View Post
I decided to use two travel certificates for the Wailea Marriott in December. Iím not sure if I made a good choice. I called yesterday and learned that none of the pools are heated. Yikes. Iíve stayed in most of the hotels in Wailea and several in Kaanapali. The water in pools can be very cold in the winter if they are not heated. Ugh. Iíve read that the dark pool bottoms helps some. Does that really help in the winter? How are the jacuzzis? I read that there are only 2. Are they always full? Are they a decent size? Where are they located?

I was told that the platinum breakfast offering was ďpastry of the day, a fruit cup, and coffee/teaĒ at Starbucks or their Whaleís Tale restaurant. Anyone tried that yet?
I stayed in March of this year, and there were several pools, and they were not cold. I assumed they were heated.

I recall 2 hot tubs each by 2 pools (so 4 in total?) by the adult pool and the pool closest to the main tower. Not sure if that's accurate, but they were never busy. Some were empty.

The Starbucks offering is probably worth about $15, I'd guess. Not sure what you get at the restaurant, but I'd suspect it would be better than Starbucks. All depends if you're a Starbucks fan - and if you don't mind the long lines. I'd take the Starbucks, myself...

Search this Thread