Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:25 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Yep. $2600 charged to room. I received 3500 points.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Well THAT'S new, and not a positive development. In my previous stays all charges to the room counted for points (like at almost every other Marriott hotel), and those non-room charges can really add up.
Yeah, I sometimes eat at the restaurant because I get roughly 15% back in points. This time, a whole lot of nothing.

On the plus side, they did give me an ocean view room on points and they replaced the ancient washer/dryer.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't stay at this hotel when I go each Dec but I do dine there...Humble Market Kitchen I thought was quite good, a massive step up from when it was Migrant which I thought was pretty mediocre
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
Yep. $2600 charged to room. I received 3500 points.
We stayed 6 nights on points, and looks like we only earned points on the resort fee/taxes. No points earned on anything else charged to the room: food purchases (room service or restaurants), gift shop, or equipment rental.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by kaw753
Yeah, I sometimes eat at the restaurant because I get roughly 15% back in points. This time, a whole lot of nothing.

On the plus side, they did give me an ocean view room on points and they replaced the ancient washer/dryer.
I did a load of laundry and the washer and dryer were quite good - and reasonably priced, too.
windhund likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Just spent 4 nights here before Easter. Booked a garden view room on points; received a premium oceanfront room on the top floor of Hale 7. As a lowly Gold I was very pleasantly surprised (shocked, in fact, based on previous comments). Stay was great, although note that if traveling with children, the big water slides require a minimum height of 48 inches, which was strictly enforced.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Marno
Just spent 4 nights here before Easter. Booked a garden view room on points; received a premium oceanfront room on the top floor of Hale 7. As a lowly Gold I was very pleasantly surprised (shocked, in fact, based on previous comments). Stay was great, although note that if traveling with children, the big water slides require a minimum height of 48 inches, which was strictly enforced.
Nice! i'm gold myself and will be going in 2 weeks, hoping to get a nice upgrade. Any idea what Hale we should go for as a couple away from the kids pool and closer to the adult infinity pool?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by lyniguez
Nice! i'm gold myself and will be going in 2 weeks, hoping to get a nice upgrade. Any idea what Hale we should go for as a couple away from the kids pool and closer to the adult infinity pool?
Hale 2 and Hale 3 are really close to all the pools. The kids pool is closer to Hale 7.

We were in Hale 2 on the 3rd floor (which has ground level access to the walkways connecting the pools and the beaches), and it was 100 yards away from the 2 main pools - and still very close to the adult pool. I couldn't believe that I could swim, and then be in my room in like 30 seconds. And then about a a similar walk up the stairs to the lobby, and then another 30 seconds to the Starbucks and the games room. I really, really loved that convenience. No elevators and hardly any stairs - now that's a first!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:34 pm

Resort Map

Here's a photo I took of the resort map provided. Seems to be hard to find. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for posting the map. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:06 pm

I seek no mention in the wiki or in the posts in this thread about the hotel not having a beach in front of the hotel. There is no direct beach access.
You have to walk over near the Grand Wailea to access the beach.
To me this seems like a big drawback . Does it not bother anyone else?

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by felicity5
I seek no mention in the wiki or in the posts in this thread about the hotel not having a beach in front of the hotel. There is no direct beach access.
I guess it depends on your plans and purposes on the trip. For me, where I rarely spend much beach time, I am fine with the options But I can see why people planning differently will be bothered.

But yeah, it is worth mentioning so people don't get a surprise when arriving
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I guess it depends on your plans and purposes on the trip. For me, where I rarely spend much beach time, I am fine with the options But I can see why people planning differently will be bothered.

But yeah, it is worth mentioning so people don't get a surprise when arriving
I have stayed there twice. It is all a matter of perspective. Depending on which area your room is located the walk to the beach in front of The Grand Wailea isn't bad at all. We did it many times. We also walked a bit further in the opposite direction to get to Ulua beach. Even when you drive to a beach in Hawaii, the walk from the parking lot to the actual beach can be fairly far. If you're expecting a beach within a 100 yards of your room, you will be disappointed. If you're okay walking a bit further than that, you will be fine. The paved beach walk between the hotels makes it fairly easy. Finally, even though it isn't a beach the waterfront area in front of The Marriott is very scenic. We really enjoyed this resort and that was pre-renovation. It should be even better now. We hope to go back again in the future.

--Jon
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I have stayed there twice. It is all a matter of perspective. Depending on which area your room is located the walk to the beach in front of The Grand Wailea isn't bad at all. We did it many times. We also walked a bit further in the opposite direction to get to Ulua beach. Even when you drive to a beach in Hawaii, the walk from the parking lot to the actual beach can be fairly far. If you're expecting a beach within a 100 yards of your room, you will be disappointed. If you're okay walking a bit further than that, you will be fine. The paved beach walk between the hotels makes it fairly easy. Finally, even though it isn't a beach the waterfront area in front of The Marriott is very scenic. We really enjoyed this resort and that was pre-renovation. It should be even better now. We hope to go back again in the future.

--Jon
I found the walks short and quite pleasant, so I had no issue what so ever. I guess there might be a bit of a need for managed expectations. But then again I did research the hotel before booking, and it is hardly a secret how everything is located.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by felicity5
The beaches are sooo close, so from a functional aspect, no difference. From an "ambiance " standpoint, big difference. A hotel with it's own beachfront service and amenities is a totally different experience. My only Marriott comparison is the JW on Marco Island, FL. The beachfront was close and fantastic, and made for a very different experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.