Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Just back from my trip to Maui.

At check-in at the hotel, they were not able to give me an upgrade. We were given a room at the main tower with a room on the 4th floor (really 2nd floor) overlooking the lobby. Room was partial ocean view but lacked privacy without the curtains closed. Since we didn't spend much time in the room, didn't care as much.

The rep at check in did try to give us an upgrade though, but was unable to due to capacity. She wasn't lying because I did notice that rooms were not open for at least part of the week when I looked online. The resort looked fairly full the first two days but it became clear on day 3. 3 BIG busses full of tourists of Asian decent arrived at the resort. Now the resort was PACKED. I figured this was the reason why we couldn't get that upgrade. The tourists left the same day we did, so I guess our timing was a little unlucky. Oh well, like I said, we didn't care as much.

Since we couldn't be given that upgrade, the rep did offer us complimentary use of the Cabana for a day ($250 value i think?). I asked if we could trade that for free parking instead ($25 a day). She said, sure no problem. So we parked for free for a week and got $175 value out of that. Pretty sure we could have valed our car ($35 a day) and it would still be free. But we didn't mind. The parking lot is a 30 second walk from the lobby.

All in all, the resort is quite nice. We walked over the the Grand Wailea on day 1 and for their Luau on day 6. That place is too over-crowded in my opinion. I mean, their beach chairs literally have less than 0.5in between them, so you must get really comfortable with your neighbour. Also felt that the GW is a humongous property with too many rooms. And the rooms looked a bit outdated (at least from our limited perspective). The Marriot Resort on the other hand is divided into 7 buildings, each 3 floors tall and spread out throughout the property grounds. This gives it a very laid back, mellow, island feel. I LOVED the hotel lobby. So cool. The view from the pools/lobby is amazing.

I had redeemed 120K SPG points for Marriott Nights and flights for a 7 night stay here (+ 162K Aeroplan Miles during the +30% promo). I thought the redemption was well worth it.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am staying soon there on an award. What do you do reduce eating costs, especially for breakfast ?

Do you buy food from grocery and a cooler and put food in it ?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
There is a Starbucks in the lobby that offers standard Starbucks pricing. There's also a cool little beach bar called the Whale's Tail that offers small, relatively inexpensive breakfasts.

To each their own, but I can't imagine going to a deluxe resort destination then buying a cooler and going to a grocery store just to save a few bucks.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
There is a Starbucks in the lobby that offers standard Starbucks pricing. There's also a cool little beach bar called the Whale's Tail that offers small, relatively inexpensive breakfasts.

To each their own, but I can't imagine going to a deluxe resort destination then buying a cooler and going to a grocery store just to save a few bucks.
Yeah, I've always felt that way until I stayed at the Waikoloa Hilton - when I saw the $12 muffin and tasted the disgusting $6 coffee, I knew I had to make different plans.

I'm planning to stay here in March on points, and don't mind paying a little extra for food since our flight and stay are free.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'm planning to stay here in March on points, and don't mind paying a little extra for food since our flight and stay are free.
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

I've also had good, decently-priced (for the area) breakfasts at Longhi's over at The Shops at Wailea. And while the on-site Marriott restaurant is pricey, both the made-to-order and buffet items are pretty darn good. The coffee may be six bucks and the muffins twelve, but they're delicious.
pokee likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman

For some of us we either don't want to spend a lot of time having breakfast (e.g. sit down breakfast at Marriott restaurant) and/or the food budget (especially as a family) per day is limited and would rather save it for really nice dinners after a full day of activities. As you said, to each their own...

--Jon
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
For some of us we either don't want to spend a lot of time having breakfast (e.g. sit down breakfast at Marriott restaurant) and/or the food budget (especially as a family) per day is limited and would rather save it for really nice dinners after a full day of activities. As you said, to each their own...

--Jon
We had a dream vacation at this resort for our honeymoon.

We stopped at the Costco by the airport after we picked up our rental car and grabbed wine, case of water, granola bars.... but it was also a 10 day trip.

However you could easily pick up whatever near the airport before heading down to Wailea.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I am staying soon there on an award. What do you do reduce eating costs, especially for breakfast ?

Do you buy food from grocery and a cooler and put food in it ?
Get up early and drive over to Kihei for breakfast. Kihei Caffe was great!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:50 am

Hi all: looking to use some Marriott points for a 7N stay with a family of 5 next summer. Since we're such a big party, I'm focusing on booking a suite with points. I see that RC Kapalua has that option but the Marriott Wailea does not have an option of booking a suite for reward stay. How likely are they to release some suites for booking with points over time? I'm a Gold but don't want to take a chance of booking a garden view room with the hope and prayer that they'd upgrade us to a suite. hah.

thoughts?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Hi all: looking to use some Marriott points for a 7N stay with a family of 5 next summer. Since we're such a big party, I'm focusing on booking a suite with points. I see that RC Kapalua has that option but the Marriott Wailea does not have an option of booking a suite for reward stay. How likely are they to release some suites for booking with points over time? I'm a Gold but don't want to take a chance of booking a garden view room with the hope and prayer that they'd upgrade us to a suite. hah.

thoughts?
I've had my eye on reward stays there for nearly a year now, and I have never seen a suite upgrade option for a reward (only the partial ocean view).

Having said that, I was only ever checking one or two certain times a year, so it's possible they may release them for other times.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:59 pm
Suspended

What to expect at this resort in terms of events during new year's eve ? Are guests going to be forced to pay for a special gala dinner, even if staying on an award ?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:06 am
Suspended

What to expect at this resort in terms of events during new year's eve ? Are guests going to be forced to pay for a special gala dinner, even if staying on an award ?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I've had my eye on reward stays there for nearly a year now, and I have never seen a suite upgrade option for a reward (only the partial ocean view).

Having said that, I was only ever checking one or two certain times a year, so it's possible they may release them for other times.
I even called the hotel - no dice. I think my strategy will be to book 2 standard rooms for 8N. I'll use the F&H package for one of the rooms. I'm assuming there is plenty to do there for 8N?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I even called the hotel - no dice. I think my strategy will be to book 2 standard rooms for 8N. I'll use the F&H package for one of the rooms. I'm assuming there is plenty to do there for 8N?
I'm sure suites are available for booking, so if the price isn't too high then maybe just save your points and pay for the suite. You could also call the hotel, tell them you've got two standard rooms booked on points, and see if they could move you into a suite instead (for the same number of points).

As to whether or not there is plenty to do "there" for eight nights, if you mean at the resort then no, but if you mean on Maui then absolutely yes.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I think my 7 year old didn't stop going up and down the water slide for about 8 days so I think certain guests could be content not leaving the resort for a stay that long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.