Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My wife and I celebrated part of our honeymoon at this hotel 15 years ago when it was the Intercontinental. I've stayed many times since it turned into a Marriott, and have always had nice stays. You've made a good choice!

There is a fabulous ocean-front sidewalk all along the Wailea beaches. It's great any time of day, but if you are early risers you'll have it mostly to yourselves and can visit any of the other resorts for breakfast.

Check out the mall (The Shops at Wailea) on Wednesday evening. They call it WOW night (Wailea on Wednesdays), when they will have live music and many of the galleries will be pouring complimentary wine and champagne. Watch out if your new wife is a shopper, though--this is a high-end outdoor mall with Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.!

Mala Wailea is indeed pricey, but is absolutely worth it one night. Depending on your tastes, I also recommend the Tommy Bahama's Tropical Cafe at the mall. There is a Spago in the Four Seasons and a romantic restaurant at the Grand Wailea called Humu's that are nice special occasion places.

Finally, if you can find the time, I highly recommend driving over to the Wailea Blue golf course clubhouse and going to Mulligan's on Wednesday night. There is a Hawaiian performer named Willie K who does a dinner show there, and he is absolutely amazing. I don't want to build it up TOO much, but anyone who's seen Willie will agree that he's worth seeing.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I was planning on staying there next spring with a rewards travel pkg certificate. I haven't called about booking a room, but on the website for points travel, it looks crazy expensive to upgrade to a oceanfront room . $175 per night.

Any other options with a 7night cat 6 cert? Will MR gold status help?

Thanks,

Tex
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Originally Posted by texdoc
I was planning on staying there next spring with a rewards travel pkg certificate. I haven't called about booking a room, but on the website for points travel, it looks crazy expensive to upgrade to a oceanfront room . $175 per night.

Any other options with a 7night cat 6 cert? Will MR gold status help?

Thanks,

Tex
I am planning the same thing at the Marriott Wailea. I'm MR Platinum. I booked on a 7-night cert over New Years which is for a 'resort-view' room. I didn't pay the steep upgrade fee for oceanfront, but did write a letter to the hotel requesting an upgrade. Hoping it helps!

Has anyone else had success with this approach at this resort?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
We gave two close friends of ours a week at this property (using a travel package certificate) when they got married earlier this month. Knowing that the reservation was in their name and not mine, I didn't expect them to get any benefits at all.

The day that they were due to arrive I called the hotel to make sure that everything was in order with the reward (our friends do not stay in hotels very frequently and I didn't want them to freak out if the hotel asked them any questions) - the agent was making chit-chat while she checked on the res and asked why our friends were visiting the property. I stated that it was their honeymoon and no other mention was made.

When they arrived, the front desk told them that they were upgraded to an oceanfront room on account of my status. I was extremely impressed with this move as I hadn't even asked for anything, and these friends of ours have no status of any kind; I'm not even sure if they had ever stayed in a Marriott before this. Anyway, our friends were thrilled with the upgrade and, while I haven't heard all of the details yet as they don't get back until later this week, said that the hotel was beautiful and that they loved everything about it.

So with an understanding that they were not owed anything at all, I want to give a big ^ to this property for proactively upgrading them.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
My wife and I stayed there in February. There are two pools with the one farthest from the lobby being adults only and is an infiniti pool. It will be much quieter than the all hands and larger pool.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
jkm, When you called, did you speak to main reservations, or directly to the hotel? The reason I ask is because the hotel changed our original reservation from a 2 BR OV suite (1,350 sq. ft.) to 2 ressies: 1 for a 1BR OV suite, 636 sq ft and an OV 2 Q room, 436 sq ft, with a NOT-guaranteed connecting door, so I am a little confused/concerned.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
jkm, When you called, did you speak to main reservations, or directly to the hotel?
Turtlegirl - I called the front desk directly to check on the reservation, and that the front desk agent was the only person whom I spoke with. I assume she is the one who upgraded my friends.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
My wife and I celebrated part of our honeymoon at this hotel 15 years ago when it was the Intercontinental. I've stayed many times since it turned into a Marriott, and have always had nice stays. You've made a good choice!

There is a fabulous ocean-front sidewalk all along the Wailea beaches. It's great any time of day, but if you are early risers you'll have it mostly to yourselves and can visit any of the other resorts for breakfast.

Check out the mall (The Shops at Wailea) on Wednesday evening. They call it WOW night (Wailea on Wednesdays), when they will have live music and many of the galleries will be pouring complimentary wine and champagne. Watch out if your new wife is a shopper, though--this is a high-end outdoor mall with Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.!

Mala Wailea is indeed pricey, but is absolutely worth it one night. Depending on your tastes, I also recommend the Tommy Bahama's Tropical Cafe at the mall. There is a Spago in the Four Seasons and a romantic restaurant at the Grand Wailea called Humu's that are nice special occasion places.

Finally, if you can find the time, I highly recommend driving over to the Wailea Blue golf course clubhouse and going to Mulligan's on Wednesday night. There is a Hawaiian performer named Willie K who does a dinner show there, and he is absolutely amazing. I don't want to build it up TOO much, but anyone who's seen Willie will agree that he's worth seeing.
Great suggestions!

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:13 pm

Marriot Wailea or Ritz Carlton Kapalua? Help

Going on an award stay in 2 weeks and booked into the Wailea but there is point saver award availability at the Ritz Cartlton Kapalua, Maui. Any suggestions or experience with the 2 different properties? Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I used to live on Oahu, and have been to that Ritz twice, and the Wailea Marriott (I think it was a Ren back then). This question depends on the time of year you're going. Kapalua can be cool in the winter (we went over Thanksgiving one year). We were in pants and sweaters, but loved it as it was a nice change of pace for us. Wailea is usually more sunny and warm.

I'm not into golf, but if I were, I'd go to Kapalua maybe. The Ritz was nice, but our first stay they messed up a whole bunch of things with our room, so they gave us a great rate to come back. The second trip, we got a club suite, and it was bigger than our house at the time! We enjoyed that immensely.

If it were me, I'd do Wailea. Just read your post again, so see you're going in two weeks. Check weather information on Maui, and see what it looks like. Hope it's a wonderful trip!!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I have stayed at both, and would say it depends on what you're looking for out of your vacation on Maui. If you want maximum seclusion and relaxation along with the occasional round of golf, then go for the Ritz. Wailea is still laid back and far less hectic than Lahaina or Ka'anapali, but has a lot more going on in terms of restaurants, water activities, and even nightlife.

P.S. The Wailea Marriott did NOT used to be the Renaissance. It actually used to be the Outrigger and before that the Intercontinental. The Renaissance is just down the beach but is now closed--it was supposed to be demolished and rebuilt as a W Resort for Starwood, but the recession halted the project. Now the Renaissance just sits there vacant and sad...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Now the Renaissance just sits there vacant and sad...
Especially sad considering how wonderful that property was. I keep thinking that as long as it hasn't actually been torn down, then there's a chance it could reopen in a similar form to its past - even if it does so under a Starwood brand.

I walked through the Outrigger when I was there - we met our boat for a snorkel cruise there. Seemed like a big chaotic place: not really an upscale feel. I think I'd go Ritz for a Marriott Rewards stay in Maui. In our week there, it seemed like we spent our days all over the island...I'd certainly suggest visiting Wailea - tons of sunshine and great beaches.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I have stayed at both, and would say it depends on what you're looking for out of your vacation on Maui. If you want maximum seclusion and relaxation along with the occasional round of golf, then go for the Ritz. Wailea is still laid back and far less hectic than Lahaina or Ka'anapali, but has a lot more going on in terms of restaurants, water activities, and even nightlife.

P.S. The Wailea Marriott did NOT used to be the Renaissance. It actually used to be the Outrigger and before that the Intercontinental. The Renaissance is just down the beach but is now closed--it was supposed to be demolished and rebuilt as a W Resort for Starwood, but the recession halted the project. Now the Renaissance just sits there vacant and sad...
Wow - I didn't know that! It was years ago that we went there - got I think the $99 Kamaaina rate, and really enjoyed that Renaissance - the food was so good, the service was great, the rooms were nice. The beach was okay, not huge. We just spent a weekend chilling and eating too much!

For a reward stay, I'd agree than, probably choose the Ritz.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:24 am

The Ritz is far nicer but I prefer Wailea for things to do, stores, restaurants, etc... in walking distance. At Kapalua you have to drive 15 minutes to get most of those type of things. However, up near Kapaula is a great little breakfast place. The Gazebo. You will wait in line but it's worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.