Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:20 am

hhoope01, thanks for the very nice suggestions.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
We had an Ocean Front at our previous stay on points that was facing the ocean, but several stories up on a bldg not on the shore... maybe 100 yards, 150 yards away.

There are buildings there that are very close to the shore, similar to what your stay at Kauai was like. I would guess these are the ocean facing rooms you are seeing.

For what its worth, we booked the lowest level award room and then I called the Platinum Elite line and requested to be upgraded with an agent. She scored for us, and we received an email from the hotel concierge confirming our upgrade about a week before we arrived. So, we did not pay the $75 a night or extra points either one.

YMMV, but I'll bet a gold can do good there as well.

BTW, we loved the Wailea. You will hear lots of opinions, but we think it is an awesome property, especially the infinity pool!

(Our Plat status got us upgrades at the Marriott Waikoloa and the JW on Maui as well. Very pleased with all properties.)
Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I think ocean front rooms in general, and particularly at this hotel are overrated. By the time we come back to the room from the beach or the infinity pool we've seen plenty of ocean for the day. I think we spent maybe an hour during a 7-day stay on our ocean front lanai at the Wailea. Fortunately I booked a year ahead of time and was able to book a base room and get a free platinum upgrade at check-in. I certainly wouldn't have paid $75 a night for it.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I would book the no cash option as I think chance of upgrade due honeymoon is pretty high (YMMV). While the award lists 210,000 points, its actually 30k less (5th night free under new format).

Last edited by jamflyer; Mar 27, 2009 at 6:22 am
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:53 pm

we just came back from 7 night stay, and we did the same as the previous post, we contacted the concierge, and they upgraded us on arrival. (Ocean view)

We loved this property, and have already booked next our stay for next spring break.

The key to find a rewards with no $ value, is to check everyday and you should be able to catch a room for no extra $.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 3:41 pm

yaaay... reserved their room for 6 nights, resort view, 175k points. first class reward air travel too. all they need now is some macadamia nuts and a few mai tai's. very helpful suggestions here and i will follow up with recommendations i recieved pm.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:45 am

wailea resort

manitou
(we just came back from 7 night stay, and we did the same as the previous post, we contacted the concierge, and they upgraded us on arrival. (Ocean view)

How did you contact the concierge? At the actual property or through the marriott rewards line?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by karynkjd
manitou
(we just came back from 7 night stay, and we did the same as the previous post, we contacted the concierge, and they upgraded us on arrival. (Ocean view)

How did you contact the concierge? At the actual property or through the marriott rewards line?
If anyone can post or PM how to contact the concierge...I have a reward stay coming up in a few weeks and would like to get upgraded...thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: United Airlines
Ocean Facing is a GREAT room at Wailea Marriott

The Ocean Facing rooms are actually steps from the ocean - they also call them Deluxe Ocean Front Rooms. They are the closest you can get to the ocean in Wailea since the resort was the 1st one built in the Resort, after it was built they required all hotels to move back off the ocean.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There are certainly mixed experiences/opinions here, but I'll add mine.

So far, everything has been great. Check-in was very friendly - upgraded my non-view awards stay to an ocean facing room - 1 level above the adult pool, directly overlooking the pool out to the manicured lawn and ocean. I probably couldn't ask for better. The optional resort fee was fully explained in writing (see list above) and I declined it.

I agree the parking spaces are tiny - I just drove to the second floor to find multiple open spots next to each other and took the stairs down - it was probably faster than 1st floor anyway.

Room service with my welcome gift (I think 3 Hawaiian stays are the only times I haven't taken points) was great - fresh fruit, drinks, quickly delivered. Both the desk attendant and the room service person were very personable and offered suggestions on what to do, where to go, etc.

Rooms are average upscale - a bit odd with tile floors - but tastefully done, though showing a bit of wear around the edges.

I'll update if I experience more over the next few days.

UPDATE: After staying 3 nights:

A very nice property. If you're used to staying at RC's, Four Season's, JW's, or even the Grand Wailea next door then no, this won't be up to your standards. But it's a solid Marriott resort, on par with Aruba and St. Kitts, better than Grand Cayman, on par with Kauai (better rooms, grounds but lacking on the pool), and better then Kona (from memory four years ago - I'll re-compare next week).

Cat 7 points make be gasp a bit - I'm using one of the last of the 150K point Hawaii Hoppers - but you're paying for the location, not necessarily the property. I was a bit disappointed that one obvious mechanical defect wasn't fixed in my room (I didn't call, but it's something housekeeping certainly should have noticed and addressed), but other aspects of service were very good.

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 18, 2009 at 1:26 am
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
resort fees

I have never paid a 'resort fee' for any reward stay, ever at any hotel.

when i made reservation here with points, 140,000 for four nights, I am under t he impression that the resort fee is included, quoted from reservation:

"Using your points will cover your room charge and tax, and no additional service charges or resort fees will be applied."

Is the resort fee not included now?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, the resort fee isn't included, at least as of a month ago. It was $20 for parking and a few things I don't use, or $15 for just the parking. The others weren't worth it to me, so I paid the $15.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by CPRich
No, the resort fee isn't included, at least as of a month ago. It was $20 for parking and a few things I don't use, or $15 for just the parking. The others weren't worth it to me, so I paid the $15.
+1

I was there from 7/28 to 8/4 and had the same treatment. I also decided to only pay for the $15 daily self parking.

--Jon

P.S. We had a really good time at this resort. I hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: EXP on AA, Plat Premier Marriott and CK on AA
Old Hotel

Stayed there in December. They kept us waiting in the lobby (after the appropriate 2 or 3 pm arrival time) for an additional 2.5 hours! Unbelievable. Restaurant is nothing special. Typical Marriott. Go somewhere else. Hotel is 30 years old and you can certainly tell it is old!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Did someone say old?

This place has the feel of a beautiful OLD resort, but not the character of well maintained beautiful classic resort. So clean -yes, well equipped -yes, great location -yes, great employees -yes, but just old and tired.

The sad part was that I burned so many MR points for 4 nights AND paid way too much for an upgrade to partial ocean view. I sensed trouble when I checked in and they hit me up to upgrade another $50 a night to get full ocean view room. My 1st room had a large palm directly in the "way" - completely blocking both the waterfront and the ocean. This is the only time in my life I complained about the view (since I paid $300 extra for it) and the staff gladly moved me across the hall. Now I could look over the main buildings and indeed see the ocean. We spent much of the weekend on our balcony with bottles of wine from Costco watching humpback whales breaching!

So the staff were very friendly and probably made the stay more enjoyable than it would have been. Overall, I thought it was a horrible waste of my points and I have now fallen in love with the Maui Hyatt property - since it is much newer, always a better deal and also has an exceptional staff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.