Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Do you ask straight out for an upgrade?

Apologies for the obvious question, but I am keen to get at least the nicest room in the category I have paid for, though an upgrade would be nice

As a gold, do you ask for the upgrade ahead of time? My experience at some hotels is that I am not given a decent room until I actually refuse to take one - for example it looks out over the aircon vents! Do you just ask straight up for the upgrade?

Is it best to ask in advance or at checkin?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, CO Plat, NW Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Dia
I'll be at this resort in late June staying with points. I'm Plat. Do I have any chance of getting an upgrade or do I need to do that with points before I travel? Bummer on the concierge. I was looking forward to that saving me some cash on breakfast, drinks and snacks.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:58 pm

How did you find the room at the OC? I've been trying for months and am only able to get Wailea. I'm staying a week for 150K which didn't seem like a bad deal.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by cigarhog
How did you find the room at the OC? I've been trying for months and am only able to get Wailea. I'm staying a week for 150K which didn't seem like a bad deal.
Mines for Oct, 2009. 4 nights, 65k.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Go with the lower points

My wife and I have stayed at the Wailea Beach and it is excellent, but like others I would go for the lower poits. That said it depends on what you want to do Wailea is the quiet side but still plenty to do. While ont OC is on the part of Maui where more things happen. I think the beach and waves are better on the OC side (just my opinion). But while there try Gerards restrauant in Lahania and the original Roys (closer to Wailea).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:30 pm

It must be that I'm there during a really busy week or something. I've even called multiple times to see if the agents can see something I can't. Glad you got your trip set. Everyone has given you good advice and we each have our own opinions. I've been to Maui six times and love the place. I've just never stayed at the Marriott there in Wailea. Would much rather be in the OC for lower points.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I'd personally opt for the Maui Ocean Club because I like the energy of Kaanapali better. Wailea is beautiful but too low key for me. We stayed at the Renaissance Wailea before they tore it down and ended up driving to Lahaina most days for various activities (snorkeling trips, Warren & Annabelle's, sunset cocktails sails). So I've opted for Kaanapali since.

Also, if it matters to you, the Wailea Beach Marriott doesn't have a sandy beach.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:02 pm

Just returned from Maui Ocean Club. We own there. Much better place to be in general (Kaanapali Beach). Can walk to Whaler's Village along the beach walk for shops and restaurants and a five minute drive from the great little town of Lahaina with shopping, restaurants and art galleries.

Only choose Wailea if you want a more quiet, exclusive experience. For the difference in points, go for MOC every time. I second the previous post too about Warren and Annabelle's. We saw it for the third time this trip. Incredible show that will keep you laughing and guessing for days to come. Reserve in advance because it sells out most times of the year.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa...as Gold?

I'm sorry, but I did a search and for some reason, I'm not able to pull out specific posts re: this property. I suspect it is something I am doing wrong, but I get all kinds of posts unrelated to my inquiry.

I have been reading a few posts on FT's favorite properties, and for obvious reasons, many of them are either Resorts.

I understand that resorts do not typically offer Gold's the usual perks.

I was wondering if someone could either lead me to a link where this has been discussed or let me know if Gold's receive any of the perks of this property.

If not, off the top of your head, or if you are a better searcher than I am, can you think of any other outstanding properties that we can use on an award where a Gold is likely to receive the perks?

I'm thinking 5-7 hour flight, maximum, from California (SMF). Hawaii looked interesting, although we've "been there, done that" on each and every island more than once. Although this year might be a little different ($$) with our loss in income (mandated furlough) so Hawaii might have a new appeal again!

End of Oct, early Nov would be the time.

Thanks all....sorry if I wasn't able to search correctly (I tried numerous times...really).

Dawn
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
As a plat, I contacted this resort a few weeks prior to our stay and was put in beauful ocean view room overlooking the pool.

If you decide to go, let me know and I'll PM you the contact info I have for the person that took care of us.

We've seen most of the islands of Hawaii as well and we still loved the place, Maui is our favorite.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You should still get a room upgrade, although room upgrades at resort properties (particularly in Hawaii) are often scalp-scratching. Moving from a "garden view" to an "ocean view" may actually result in a worse location even though you can theoretically catch glimpses of the Pacific when the wind blows the palm trees just the right way. You won't get free breakfast and there is no lounge, but you do get the elite bonus on your points.

Also, be aware that these properties are popular for MR members traveling on points, meaning there are more than the usual number of golds and platinums. Don't expect them to roll out the red carpet because you're gold, and then you won't be disappointed!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Figured as much....

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
You should still get a room upgrade, although room upgrades at resort properties (particularly in Hawaii) are often scalp-scratching. Moving from a "garden view" to an "ocean view" may actually result in a worse location even though you can theoretically catch glimpses of the Pacific when the wind blows the palm trees just the right way. You won't get free breakfast and there is no lounge, but you do get the elite bonus on your points.

Also, be aware that these properties are popular for MR members traveling on points, meaning there are more than the usual number of golds and platinums. Don't expect them to roll out the red carpet because you're gold, and then you won't be disappointed!
Yah, we know all too well about an ocean view....basically, that means if you can stand on a step ladder, bend your body out over the balcony as far as is humanly possible and see something that resembles water, you got yourself an ocean view! And that is if you are fortunate to even get a balcony!

I am trying to find a location that has a lounge to use our reward this year....I won't be able to maintain Gold for 2010 and I want to use it in conjunction with another award from Hilton.

I don't know why I thought the Wailea Marriott had a lounge....the search is still on....I don't even care if they have free booze in the lounge (most executive lounges in the states do not) as hubby does not drink anyway, so that is not a big issue.

Thanks...

Dawn
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:28 pm

Wailea Beach Resort reward upgrade $75/day!!

Sorry if this seems like old news to you. I don't redeem miles very often.
I thought I would sponsor my son's honeymoon at Wailea Beach Resort. The point redemption for an ocean view room for 7 days is 210k ......along with a requirement to pay an additional $75 per night plus tax to confirm an Ocean View room. Yikes.
Do I understand this right? This 'reward' will cost over $600.
Of course the no cash option is:
-Ocean on the other side of the building 210k points
-Ocean view 245k points
-Ocean front 280k points
-Ocean facing 315k points
Now Im really confused. why ocean facing is more than ocean front? We had ocean front in Kauai last fall and we were 40 feet from the beach.

Any Wailea veteran help would be appreciated. Will my gold status travel with the points or with my son and would gold offer much at this resort anyway. Anything special for newlyweds here.

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Marriott reward rooms are normally their "base" rooms with "garden" or inland views. Most Marriott beach hotels will also offer some of their better view rooms up for award redemption using more points or cash. The issue you are running in to is that everyone reserves the "cheapest" rooms and then hopes for the upgrade. Since you didn't see any of their "base" award rooms listed, that means those have already been "reserved" leaving only the upgraded rooms for award availability.

You have a couple of options. First, you can call the hotel directly. They may be willing to open up a base room for you. This may work better if you are a Gold/Plat. Second, I would make the reservation, and then daily check their award inventory to see if a base room opens up. If it does, call MR and have them change your reservation to the base room. Third, if neither of the above work, when they check in, they can ask about getting the upgrade comped rather than paying for it. Given they are on their honeymoon, the hotel may offer them the upgrade for free, or they may offer them an even better upgrade for the same price $75/night you are currently set to pay.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
You have PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.