Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
i was there in april - horrible stay.

frankly, i would use the points somewhere else - be careful - you were warned...

good luck.
I stayed there exactly 1 year ago today. Wasn't happy...didn't like the rooms etc.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
We're here right now...Beautiful resort, great setting & location, but...This is the least friendly Hawaiian Marriott we've been to. We're here on a points stay and celebrating an anniversary which is in our record.
Upon arriving we learned valet parking is an additional $18/day above the $15 daily rate. We declined and they told us to move our car before checking in.
The initial conversation while checking in went something like: Aloha, happy anniversary, we can offer you a family suite at $75/nt. Wow, a blatant hard sell on an upgrade immediately. We politely declined. The next sell was the resort fee which is a complete waste which we also declined.
It turned out we got one of the worst rooms in the category overlooking the storage area for the Luau. We didn't ask for an upgrade, all we wanted was the best available in the class purchased. Whether true or not it seem that we got the worst in the place since we declined the upgrade. We went back and looked at 2 other rooms before one was acceptable. Spent 1 night in that room and at 8am the deliveries started to come with several noisy trucks.
At that point we had it. Spoke to the front desk manager who upgraded us to a great room overlooking the ocean. She explained that std garden view rooms are in tough locations on the resort and the front desk staff is new and doesn't know the resort very well. Although we are quite happy now we wasted a good 1/2 day on room changes plus a whole lot of frustration.
Some other notes:
- They have outsourced virtually everything in including poolside activities, business center. Expedia does the pool activities and is also a booking agent for island activity's. They kind of compete with the Marriott activities desk. Seems like they bump the prices too.
- The luau is great!

Hope this helps...
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
We stayed here in Apr (on a paid stay) and had a great time. As others have said the adult pool area is just the ticket. We found all staff (with the exception of the front desk) to be helpful and friendly. We paid the resort fee although the woman next to us had it waived (don't know why - I was only half listening ) Fee covered self parking with perfectly acceptable sized parking bays Wasn't overly concerned about the cost of parking having taken our car into San Francisco the week before

We had a couple of areas of concern:

When we arrived there was no "welcome back, as a Marriott Rewards Gold member we value your business" type thing. The person on the front desk literally just launched into offering us a $75 upgrade. We declined and asked for our free upgrade! We were given a partial ocean view room. The front desk person asked a further 5 times whether we wanted a $75 upgrade. Felt a bit like being in a time share presentation. Looking back I thought it was really poor - and I have never felt like that checking into a US hotel before. Still, as you all know, when you hit the pool all is forgotten!

The other thing was the bed. The room was all newly done. The bed looked as though it should be really comfy but there was something about it I just can't put my finger on - lack of support maybe. I had back ache every morning (and not because we were in Hawaii ). YMMV
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:03 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
We stayed here in Apr (on a paid stay) and had a great time. As others have said the adult pool area is just the ticket. We found all staff (with the exception of the front desk) to be helpful and friendly. We paid the resort fee although the woman next to us had it waived (don't know why - I was only half listening ) Fee covered self parking with perfectly acceptable sized parking bays Wasn't overly concerned about the cost of parking having taken our car into San Francisco the week before

We had a couple of areas of concern:

When we arrived there was no "welcome back, as a Marriott Rewards Gold member we value your business" type thing. The person on the front desk literally just launched into offering us a $75 upgrade. We declined and asked for our free upgrade! We were given a partial ocean view room. The front desk person asked a further 5 times whether we wanted a $75 upgrade. Felt a bit like being in a time share presentation. Looking back I thought it was really poor - and I have never felt like that checking into a US hotel before. Still, as you all know, when you hit the pool all is forgotten!

The other thing was the bed. The room was all newly done. The bed looked as though it should be really comfy but there was something about it I just can't put my finger on - lack of support maybe. I had back ache every morning (and not because we were in Hawaii ). YMMV
The bed at Wailea is horrible - I had a backache everday.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I am arriving this Thursday for 2 nights before heading over to the Marriott timeshare for a week. Does anyone know what are the room numbers to avoid.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by holocker
I am arriving this Thursday for 2 nights before heading over to the Marriott timeshare for a week. Does anyone know what are the room numbers to avoid.
It's hard to describe. Don't know the room numbers but I would look at the building layouts and avoid the back side of the Haleakala building which is to the right of the valet stand. Our 2 rooms that we changed out of were on that side. One facing Haleakala (overlooking storage) and the other garden/ocean (service entrance).
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'd like to give my review of this place as I am sitting in my room overlooking the Pacific ocean.

We have been here for about 5 days so far, and go back in 2 days.

Let me say that our treatment here has been nothing short of spectacular. We contacted the exec office ahead of our stay requesting any available upgrades based on my platinum status. I received a reply from their executive assistant the same day stating that they would do their absolute best to give us a room that would please us.

Let me tell you, they came through. We were given a room with an overlook of one of the pools as well as a full ocean view. It's simply wonderful. Housekeeping is twice per day.

While this resort does not have the opulence of, for example, the Grand Wailea resort, it is by no stretch of the imagination shabby...and it is in fact quite a bit less "hustle and bustle" than many of the other resorts (which we visited to compare.) It is truly relaxing and quiet. The only drawback is the walk of a hundred or two yards to get to the actual beach (property is ocean front however the beach itself is next door.)

The breakfast buffet, while expensive (what isn't in Maui?) is quite good and the dining area has a lovely ocean view.

Would recommend this property 100 times out of 100. Clearly an example of Marriott treating one of their loyal customers top notch.^
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by qlabdad
It's hard to describe. Don't know the room numbers but I would look at the building layouts and avoid the back side of the Haleakala building which is to the right of the valet stand. Our 2 rooms that we changed out of were on that side. One facing Haleakala (overlooking storage) and the other garden/ocean (service entrance).
We stayed on the "valet" level of the Haleakala building with an ocean front/view. Great room...
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Stayed here Aug 28-30 and got the hard sell for a room upgrade on a reward stay. Found the staff to be uanttentive. Loved the hotel. pools. Very nice clean room. I needed a copy of my folio and by accident they e-mailed a copy of the bill they send Marriott Corp for reimbursement of Reward Stays. They billed Marriott $230 per night. I wonder if this rate differs per hotel or is it a set rate per category.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
Wailea Maui questions

I am planning to stay at the Wailea Marriott soon with my family.

Two questions:

I have three youngish children (oldest is 11), and the max occupancy is listed as four per room. Do I really need to book two rooms? We've had 5 to a room many times before.

If I book using points should I "pay" for an upgrade to an ocean view room, or should I hope for an upgrade as a gold (probably platinum by then)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by SD-Flyer
I am planning to stay at the Wailea Marriott soon with my family.

Two questions:

I have three youngish children (oldest is 11), and the max occupancy is listed as four per room. Do I really need to book two rooms? We've had 5 to a room many times before.

If I book using points should I "pay" for an upgrade to an ocean view room, or should I hope for an upgrade as a gold (probably platinum by then)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I would book one room only. There should not be a problem with this.

I would not pay for an upgrade but would call the Plat Elite line about a week before you go and ask for the upgrade at that time. I also got an email from the concierger at the Wailea before my visit asking what they could do to make my trip better... I requested the upgrade and got it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, DL 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, *wood Platinum
We stayed there (Mrs. St Christopher and three kids.. the youngest being 4) without any problems.. we brought a blow up sleeping bag for the youngest the sleep on the floor. I did not use any upgrade and instead called the Platinum Elite line to request for a nice oceanview room which we were granted. The hotel is nice place for the kids, especially the waterslide in the pool area!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:26 pm

This is a beautiful property and as the other post mentioned the kids should like the water slides.

We were just there last summer and had a pull out sofa that may help. You may have to request in advance as I don't think all rooms have it.

Regarding the points stay I suggest looking at previous posts on staying using points. Unless they changed (and I hope they did) they will blatantly try to sell upgrades upon check-in if you didn't do anything in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
We stayed in Sept on points. Got upgraded straight away, no selling apart for the resort fee (there is another post listing what you get with it - we decided it wasn't worth it).

As slpybear said, if you're platinum you get an e-mail from the concierge with a list of trips / restaurants and asking you if they can help at all. I thought this was great.

Something for your children, you may be able to see turtles down by the sea and the sunset is stunning.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:23 am

Also, having the King's Shops nearbye is great for the Adults... but also the kids.

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.