Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Average Property nice stay

We stayed there last year now. We had a nice stay but nothing special. We like that side of the island so it works for us. We do not dine in the hotel often but did one night and I remember that the food was good. But there are a number of nearby places including the original Roy's.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I stayed there on points last summer while there was still some construction going on including the building of another pool.

I booked two non-ocean view rooms and was upgraded to two ocean view rooms PLUS a GIANT room in between the two rooms that could be best descibed as a living room/dining room combination.

The rooms themselves were nicely done with hardwood floors and nice wood appointments but I wouldn't call them luxurious.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Its converted from a worn Outrigger that still has a ways to go, but with some structural limitations and a bit of the barefoot atmosphere retained. It didn't suck, and some of the barefoot part is good. There is much to be said for it, but I'd call it a 3* not a 5*.

Its not as plush as the old Marriott on Kaanapali, but it has a real swimming beach nearby. I would rather go local and never eat at in-hotel dining anyway. The question might be what do you want Maui to be and how much are you willing to spend, even in points. The Ritz was over the top for me, and the water rougher. Of the two I'd rather stay . . .on Kauai. But the fish are better on Maui.

Prior thread here:

Marriott Waikoloa or Marriott Wailea????

(Not that I seem to be bright enough to get the link to tie, but the thread is still there).

The resort fee question is best asked directly of the hotel. We decided it wasn't worth it and just paid parking, which in the end was not charged. I still don't know if that was a mistake or a Platinum waiver. There seemed to be confusion what it did cover, especially if it covered snorkel sets.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 11, 2008 at 6:01 pm
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Originally Posted by holocker
Have a stay booked on points for later this month. I was wondering if anyone has stayed here recently. How is the restaraunt on property. I Also have a question on the resort fee and parking. What does the resort fee cover and do you have to pay for parking in addition. Also when bookng the rewards stay it stated member must pay resort fee, but the confiramation states includes all taxes and resort fee.

I was there 2 weeks ago on a 7 night reward stay. I would be happy to address any questions. While it is nowhere near the quality of the JW Ko'Olina on Oahu, I'd say that it's slightly lower quality than the Waikoloa. The new adults pool is excellent. Didn't eat at the restaurant as the menu was not that appealing to our party. Ate at the poolside a few times, but not in the restaurant.

I was upgraded to an ocean view room. They were going to upgrade us to an ocean view suite, but we needed 2 beds and the suites don't offer two beds.

They said for a rewards stay that they could waive the resort fee, so we had them waive it. It would have included 2 Mai Tai's (not 2 per day, 2 total) and 2 bottles of water per day. Also it would cover self parking and something like 30 minutes of snorkel gear rental per day, or something like that.

One word of caution.. the self parking spaces are TINY! We had a van and didn't dare park in the self parking because the spaces were ridiculously tiny, so we had them valet it. If you're in a car it might be feasible, but I didn't want to risk getting my doors dinged by someone in that tiny space!

No taxes had to be paid, the only thing I had to pay was valet parking, as I mentioned, resort fees were waived.

If anyone has other questions, send me a private message or post your questions.

Pools were great, hospitality was great, property was great, Luau was not that great. But for free with points, I'm not going to complain. (Free week there, not free Luau)

Last edited by jasonpbyu; Aug 12, 2008 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
jasonpbyu, how did you pay for the Luau with points? I'm heading there in a few weeks on points too.

Thanks,
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Originally Posted by qlabdad
jasonpbyu, how did you pay for the Luau with points? I'm heading there in a few weeks on points too.

Thanks,
Sorry for the confusion, I just edited it. Luau was not free with points, but the stay was, so I'm not going to complain much about the stay. Really there weren't any problems, nothing that would cause me to say it was awful, or that i'm never going back. Enjoyed ourselves and would stay here again. Though i'd LOVE to be able to use my points for a week at their vacation club resorts, but those are next to impossible.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'll be there on a rewards stay in about 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade, last time we were in Hawaii (paid stay, Waikiki Marriott) we got a decently upgraded ocean view.

Not planning on eating much, if at all, on site.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Just returned back after staying last week on points.

I would not hesitate to reccomend this hotel. After reading other posts and reviews I was worried we had checked into a "problem."

We did not. Very good service. Location is great, (we like Wailea). Dined in for breakfast... was not impressed but standard stuff for the buffet. Had drinks and dinner by pool... very good. Had drinks and dinner at "Mala?" at the bar... very good.

Adults only pool was fantastic... it is separated from the other pools by wings of hotel, so very comfortable and quiet. Nice waterslides, playground, and real sand beach on the kid's pool on the south side. Two nice family pools on north side.

Good beaches on both north and south of hotel within walking distance. Great snorkeling off shore directly in front of hotel.

Upscale shopping next door at Shops of Wailea.

I would not worry about this hotel... you will enjoy it.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slpybear
Just returned back after staying last week on points.

I would not hesitate to reccomend this hotel. After reading other posts and reviews I was worried we had checked into a "problem."

We did not. Very good service. Location is great, (we like Wailea). Dined in for breakfast... was not impressed but standard stuff for the buffet. Had drinks and dinner by pool... very good. Had drinks and dinner at "Mala?" at the bar... very good.

Adults only pool was fantastic... it is separated from the other pools by wings of hotel, so very comfortable and quiet. Nice waterslides, playground, and real sand beach on the kid's pool on the south side. Two nice family pools on north side.

Good beaches on both north and south of hotel within walking distance. Great snorkeling off shore directly in front of hotel.

Upscale shopping next door at Shops of Wailea.

I would not worry about this hotel... you will enjoy it.
Thank you. That's very good to hear given we'll be there soon!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by qlabdad
Thank you. That's very good to hear given we'll be there soon!
You're welcome.

As an observation... I have stayed at five different hotels now in the islands. Everyone of them I researched online before we went... both on flyertalk and tripadvisor.

At each hotel we found several negative posts/reviews, but the majority were very positive. Though some of the negative posts had merit, (like construction issues), most of the complaints were hard to understand after actually staying at the properties. By and large, the vast majority of positive reviews/posts seemed to be a better indicator of the hotel's performance.

Of course YMMV, but each of the hotels in HI we have stayed at were great. Here they are in my order of preference...

Hapuna Prince - Big Island
JW Ihilani - Oahu
Marriott Wailea - Maui
Marriott Wailokoa - Big Island
Outrigger Waikiki -Oahu

Disclaimer - Some of these we paid for, some we used points for, but in each case Mrs. Slpybear and myself went with in with a "Don't-coddle-me, just give good service" attitude. And were very satisfied... (even with the First Class on AA).
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Had an awards stay here in June and loved it. In fact my whole family loved it.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:14 pm

We just got back Friday from our 2 week Hawaii vacation. We spent 1 week at the Marriott Wailea and the following week at the Waikoloa location. Both were award stays.

The $25/day resort fee at Wailea is optional for Award Stays and we declined it. The fee covered the following:
1. Unlimited US Domestic Long Distance Calls
2. Unlimited Local Phone Calls
3. Outgoing Domestic US Fax Service (20 pages max)
4. Boarding Pass printing at Concierge Desk
5. Daily Self Parking
6. 2 - 500 ml bottles of water per day (in-room)
7. 500 Marriott Rewards Points per stay
8. 15% discount on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
9. 10% discount on jewelry purchases at Grandes' Gems (excl special events)
10. A complimentary jewelry cleaning and 1 silk pouch at Grandes' Gems
11. 10% discount on 50 minutes service at Mandara Spa
12. Complimentary spa figt from Mandara Spa
13. 1 glass champagne with each dinner entree purchased in Restaurant only.
14. 2 Welcome Mai Tais per stay (valid in Kumu Bar & Grill only).

At the Waikoloa property, we elected to pay the optional $20/day resort because it included Daily Self Parking (which was $10/day) and In-room internet service (which I think by itself was $10/day).
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jayer
Its converted from a worn Outrigger that still has a ways to go, but with some structural limitations and a bit of the barefoot atmosphere retained. It didn't suck, and some of the barefoot part is good. There is much to be said for it, but I'd call it a 3* not a 5*.
It was an Inter-Continental before it became Outrigger, then Marriott Wailea (an Outrigger resort). Between the IC and Outrigger (2000-2001) phases $25 million was spent on renovations.

If I have a beef, it's that 'ocean front' rooms can be 400' from the shore with a lot of other rooms (and distraction & noise) in peripheral vision.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mahdnc

At the Waikoloa property, we elected to pay the optional $20/day resort because it included Daily Self Parking (which was $10/day) and In-room internet service (which I think by itself was $10/day).
I wish that others included internet with the stupid 'mandatory' (for non rewards stays) resort charge. They're making a killing on internet, just include it in this stupid mandatory fee!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: american airlines, marriott rewards
We stayed at the Marriott Wailea last month. The property is beautiful. We enjoyed our stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location on the island is superb. On-site restaurant is the Mala Wailea and the food there was very good. "Early bird specials" were available and everything on the menu was 25 percent off during that time period. I would not hesitate to recommend the Marriott Wailea. We loved it so much that we're already planning for our next stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.