Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mayday23
No. I don't stay with them around the world for them to nickel and dime me. So now any resort can choose to not have a 'relationship' with their in-house restaurant and offer me a muffin and drip coffee and i should say 'thank you.'
Speaking of nickel and diming, I took my Starbucks/Whale's Tail voucher to the overflow Elite Starbuck's station outside the regular Starbuck's here last week. I was asked whether I wanted a large or regular coffee as part of the voucher redemption. I chose the large coffee. I was then happily handed a bill for 1.20$ "upcharge" for the larger coffee size. That is some impressive elite treatment. This is from a resort with a base room costing about $1300.00 a night while I was there.

Also, I noticed on my bill that the resort fee here went from 38$ a night to 45$ a night as of Jan 1st.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Speaking of nickel and diming, I took my Starbucks/Whale's Tail voucher to the overflow Elite Starbuck's station outside the regular Starbuck's here last week. I was asked whether I wanted a large or regular coffee as part of the voucher redemption. I chose the large coffee. I was then happily handed a bill for 1.20$ "upcharge" for the larger coffee size. That is some impressive elite treatment. This is from a resort with a base room costing about $1300.00 a night while I was there.

Also, I noticed on my bill that the resort fee here went from 38$ a night to 45$ a night as of Jan 1st.
Ah but remember what Anthony Capuano CEO of Marriott said we customers need to have symphony for the hotel operators in these times, I guess that means charging 1300 a night and surcharging for a large coffee!! These actions by individual properties have a wide range of consequences such as people staying home on the mainland. It's pitiful what this owner is doing.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Akamai Coffee up the hill for the win
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just got back from spending my 15d trip at this hotel. Here's my experiences, and fwiw -- I'm Marriott Titanium but this entire trip was booked through Expedia. (Yes yes, I know -- already been told that wasn't a great idea, price match, no benefits from my status, blah blah blah -- read on)
  • On checkin, the agent recognized me as Titanium -- no mention of Expedia rates, etc. Apologized that our room, while nice was not what we had reserved (King Oceanview) due to the golf tournaments. He said that we would be moved in 1-2d to the correct configuration, but it would be 'worth the trouble'. He was amazingly friendly and gave us the rundown of the hotel, give me a tip that they knew about our wedding anniversary and a special something was already in our room, told me that we automatically get $14/person/day breakfast credit for the stay, got two leis (nuts for me and flowers for the wife), setup daily housekeeping, and had valet take our bags up
  • We were in the K tower (not even going to try to pronounce nor write it) on a pretty high up floor but facing the Ashton property next door -- still had a partial Oceanview but a bit loud because of the restaurant/bar at the Ashton playing music/etc. Overall -- very nice room but double beds instead of king (for those who are going to ask, yeah we did sleep in one together -- man it was cramped! but hey, all good for a night or two)
  • Rest of the room was very nice, everything is freshly updated, coffee machine (using those weird pods), mini refrigerator with a tiny ice box, nice couch area that folds out into another bed, and a decent balcony/lani with two chairs, lounger, and little table
  • The amenity for our anniversary was a big big ice bucket with sparkling wine, a large bag full of Hawaiian snacks, cookies, chips, dried fruit. Two champagne glasses included as well. All very nice and a great way to end the day considering the flight from YYC-YVR-HNL
  • We got a message to visit the front desk and move our stuff to the new room. New room was slightly lower level, and dead on ocean view (no partial) -- same tower. King bed, and the room felt bigger -- configured/arranged a bit different. Best part? it faced the other direction, so we could see the hotel pool and no more Ashton rocking late night music bar!
  • Breakfast at the Khuio Grille was really nice. Having a 28/day credit definitely helped and nothing to sneeze about. Loved pretty much everything we tried, continental, American style, loco loco (my fav), waffles, pancakes, etc. I guess staying that long, after a while all the hosts and wait staff recognize you! They always asked for room number and name, non-hotel guests I noticed they ask for proof of vaccination, etc.
  • We didn't eat at Sansei, DK, or Arracino -- the last one, we tried once but they were pretty booked up -- more on us for not making a reservation -- ended up going one of Morimoto's ramen restaurants instead (way way better idea and food was awesome)
  • We had a rental car for two days (45/d at the hotel for parking); pretty steep but its ok I suppose considering the location. Parking garage is handy but a bit tight so have patience but we never had an issue with no space -- I'm sure that's a result of the hotel being nowhere near capacity as well.
  • Resort fee (expected) of 49/d included internet, use of beach towels, beach chairs, pool, Internet, etc.

All in all, we had a good stay. The Marriott app and chat function were very useful to ask the staff for stuff like printing our PCR results, etc. Lovely stay. Definitely will book directly in the future since I didn't get nightly credit and such. But all in all, no complaints!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Wink

Originally Posted by Cerberus
[*]Breakfast at the Khuio Grille was really nice. Having a 28/day credit definitely helped and nothing to sneeze about. Loved pretty much everything we tried, continental, American style, loco loco (my fav), waffles, pancakes, etc. I guess staying that long, after a while all the hosts and wait staff recognize you! They always asked for room number and name, non-hotel guests I noticed they ask for proof of vaccination, etc.[*]We didn't eat at Sansei, DK, or Arracino -- the last one, we tried once but they were pretty booked up -- more on us for not making a reservation -- ended up going one of Morimoto's ramen restaurants instead (way way better idea and food was awesome)
Are you at the *Waikiki* Beach Marriott by any chance? I'm having a stay too and noticed all the restaurants are the Waikiki property's instead of the Wailea property. By the way, the Nespresso machines with pods are considered a feature! Not all rooms have them (some rooms have plain regular hotel coffee machines) and personally I'm very happy to be in a room with it.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ACK! You're right. I posted into the wrong thread!! My bad, apologies everyone.

Just a clarification -- it's not a Nespreso or Keurig machine they had. It was a strange little coffee maker that had almost like a teabag like pod which had various Hawaiian coffees in it. It was a 1 cup deal, but we learned fast that the coffee was ok at best and certainly only put in half the amount of water if you wanted it stronger! Coffee at the Grille was definitely 1000% better.
msp3 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:10 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
We recently stayed for 3 nights when taking advantage of the cheap air fare from the mainland. We booked a garden view king on points and were upgraded to an ocean view room (with a Nespresso machine) in Hale 1 overlooking one of the pool areas. We were given 2 coupons for a Mai Tai and a small bag with locally produced lip balm and "refreshing spray". Thanks to the discussion here I was able to arrange for the $100 "compensation" instead of the points or Starbucks vouchers. It took about a half dozen emails with the guest experience team to get it, but the $100 more than covered nice breakfasts from Island Gourmet for the 3 morning we were there. I did have to ask to have the $100 credited when we checked out but there wasn't any question about it.

The resort seemed fairly full and there was a Ford dealers' recognition event going on while we were there. I don't know if the event attendees were solely to blame, but many made a joke of the Serenity Pool rules regarding no cell phone use, no glass, and no outside alcohol. The hotel staff tried to deal with the more blatant transgressions, such as glass bottles on the infinity pool edge, but weren't entirely successful. Most of the lounges around the pool were "reserved" with towels by 7am but staff did walk around taking photos, saying they would remove the towels if the lounges remained unoccupied. We were able to find seats easily when we headed to the pool in mid-afternoon, when we had a nice view of all the whales just offshore.

We only ate at the resort the night we arrived, when we enjoyed our complementary Mai Tais and a light dinner of fish tacos and poke at the Kapa poolside bar. The food and drinks were good, and the service was fine, but we were looking forward to dinners off the property the next few nights.

Room rates for the base garden view rooms were around $1200 a night while we were there, so this felt like a fair redemption, although I'd never pay that cash rate. The resort fees and self-parking were close to $85 a day after taxes, and this made me appreciate the Hyatt benefit which would have waived these fees on a points stay.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cerberus
ACK! You're right. I posted into the wrong thread!! My bad, apologies everyone.
You can go back and delete all the text in the mis-posted review by using the "Edit" function.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:19 pm

I've stayed here a few times in the past, and I have an upcoming stay for 3 nights on Easter Weekend (Friday - Monday). As a plat, should I proactively book the room I want (i.e. I can book a partial ocean view room for 200k points + $650), or should I hope for an upgrade upon arrival to a nice room than the base garden view ? I really don't want to be stuck in the tower, but I think a garden view in the Hales would be sufficient for our stay (I'm not even sure if that category room is in the Hales as all of those rooms seem to have at least partial ocean views).

Just not sure I want to spend the $650 if I don't have to. I know it's a busy weekend, but interestingly almost every single room is available that weekend currently.

Excited to be back at this hotel - the adult pool is really spectacular - only bummer is getting pool chairs - last time I was there though I saw they added some chairs on the lawn below the adult pool, which is definitely an improvement.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
I've stayed here a few times in the past, and I have an upcoming stay for 3 nights on Easter Weekend (Friday - Monday). As a plat, should I proactively book the room I want (i.e. I can book a partial ocean view room for 200k points + $650), or should I hope for an upgrade upon arrival to a nice room than the base garden view ? I really don't want to be stuck in the tower, but I think a garden view in the Hales would be sufficient for our stay (I'm not even sure if that category room is in the Hales as all of those rooms seem to have at least partial ocean views).

Just not sure I want to spend the $650 if I don't have to. I know it's a busy weekend, but interestingly almost every single room is available that weekend currently.

Excited to be back at this hotel - the adult pool is really spectacular - only bummer is getting pool chairs - last time I was there though I saw they added some chairs on the lawn below the adult pool, which is definitely an improvement.
In recent years ( past five -covid) I have come to the realization that booking the best possible room that I want keeps me from carrying about it flying over and not be disappointed when I get there only to find I have that lowly room facing the parking lot. If it's important to you book it, you have all the odds against you for an upgrade, but paying 650 vig mig get you that
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
In recent years ( past five -covid) I have come to the realization that booking the best possible room that I want keeps me from carrying about it flying over and not be disappointed when I get there only to find I have that lowly room facing the parking lot. If it's important to you book it, you have all the odds against you for an upgrade, but paying 650 vig mig get you that
Yea I totally understand that - the only reason why I don't necessarily care about getting a decent upgrade is that I'll be at the Andaz in an ocean view room for 7 nights after staying at this property & the 3 nights here were just an added bonus to our originally planned trip.

Just curious how plats are treated here in general as when I've stayed in the past, I was gold.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:31 pm

Yea I totally understand that - the only reason why I don't necessarily care about getting a decent upgrade is that I'll be at the Andaz in an ocean view room for 7 nights after staying at this property & the 3 nights here were just an added bonus to our originally planned trip.

Just curious how plats are treated here in general as when I've stayed in the past, I was gold.
Not sure these days have not been over since the Covid hit. The last time we were there as LFT T it was marginal having said that management here seems to ignore most of the recognition for FF. That and the lack of Marriott's enforcement dooms it for us. Now having said that the 650 might help you along. The Andaz is fantastic my company worked on the reflag construction it came out gorgeous. Much better property than the Marriott is
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not sure these days have not been over since the Covid hit. The last time we were there as LFT T it was marginal having said that management here seems to ignore most of the recognition for FF. That and the lack of Marriott's enforcement dooms it for us. Now having said that the 650 might help you along. The Andaz is fantastic my company worked on the reflag construction it came out gorgeous. Much better property than the Marriott is
Certainly - I love the Andaz, and I actually enjoy the Marriott as well ... For me, it goes Andaz > Wailea Beach Resort > GW. I haven't stayed at the 4S, Fairmont, or Hotel Wailea so can't comment on those properties. I have enjoyed some really nice meals at Hotel Wailea and some good to great drinks at the 4S.

Chose to do 3 nights at the Marriott so I can burn some Bonvoy points before the devaluation. 200k points for 3 nights in a $1400/night room seems like a solid redemption. Don't know anyone in their right frame of mind that would ever pay to stay at the Marriott though.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:09 am

Certainly - I love the Andaz, and I actually enjoy the Marriott as well ... For me, it goes Andaz > Wailea Beach Resort > GW. I haven't stayed at the 4S, Fairmont, or Hotel Wailea so can't comment on those properties. I have enjoyed some really nice meals at Hotel Wailea and some good to great drinks at the 4S.

Chose to do 3 nights at the Marriott so I can burn some Bonvoy points before the devaluation. 200k points for 3 nights in a $1400/night room seems like a solid redemption. Don't know anyone in their right frame of mind that would ever pay to stay at the Marriott though.
Good plan Enjoy best part is no matter what room you get frankly I would save the 650 your going down the street to the Andaz which was a nice place even when it was a Renaissance.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've stayed here a few times in the past, and I have an upcoming stay for 3 nights on Easter Weekend (Friday - Monday).
Hawaii has been running 50-60% occupancy lately - combo of Omicron and mask mandate. While Omicron is subsiding - if the mask mandate continues into Easter (and with Hawaii a decent shot) occupancy will continue to be depressed and my opinion is an upgrade is almost a sure thing. If the airline mask mandate ends in March - I actually think Hawaii will follow suit - and I expect demand to Hawaii to skyrocket and your upgrade chances go way down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.