Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by richiezc
i noticed that my dates in jan went from regular and peak to both off peak points rates so I rebooked and saved 10-20K points a night!
I'm in the same boat for a reservation starting mid-Jan. I was within the 21 day no cancellation window so i rang marriott and they allowed me to rebook.​​​​​​

Thanks for saving me points and i was allowed to use a 50k cert!
RedPanda5 likes this.

Last edited by mayday23; Dec 28, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:03 pm

We are staying 6 nights and they offered $100 credit. Any 'main' breakfast item at the humble restaurant is $25, so that wouldn't even cover 2 days of member + 1.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by mayday23
We are staying 6 nights and they offered $100 credit. Any 'main' breakfast item at the humble restaurant is $25, so that wouldn't even cover 2 days of member + 1.

Sadly does this surprise anyone?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:49 am

Just spent 5 nights here. I asked for the $100 USD compensation for not providing a breakfast in restaurant and they said they would be more than happy to give it to me but only if I returned all my starbucks breakfast vouchers first
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by najama2
Just spent 5 nights here. I asked for the $100 USD compensation for not providing a breakfast in restaurant and they said they would be more than happy to give it to me but only if I returned all my starbucks breakfast vouchers first

You're kidding right? It's sad to see things like this happen aka penny wise pound foolish ( and I emphasize "FOOLISH" to a once vaulted flag. I have always enjoyed staying here sans Covid now not sure I will return from all that I am reading, why potentially subject myself to this %$#%^#%$ I love the Four Seasons down the street.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
You're kidding right? It's sad to see things like this happen aka penny wise pound foolish ( and I emphasize "FOOLISH" to a once vaulted flag. I have always enjoyed staying here sans Covid now not sure I will return from all that I am reading, why potentially subject myself to this %$#%^#%$ I love the Four Seasons down the street.
I wish I was kidding. They also tried to charge me for 1 extra resort fee during check out and only removed it after I pointed it out. I can't help but wonder if they do these things on purpose hoping the person checking out won't notice....
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Geez, are they not making enough money on those atrocious room rates on Maui?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:26 pm

I wish I was kidding. They also tried to charge me for 1 extra resort fee during check out and only removed it after I pointed it out. I can't help but wonder if they do these things on purpose hoping the person checking out won't notice....
Thats a topic we will leave along here
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That doesn't seem all that ridiculous to me, but then again I've been staying there for years and have been perfectly happy with the Starbucks/Whale's Tail vouchers. Are you saying that you should get the free breakfast they offer PLUS a hundred bucks?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That doesn't seem all that ridiculous to me, but then again I've been staying there for years and have been perfectly happy with the Starbucks/Whale's Tail vouchers. Are you saying that you should get the free breakfast they offer PLUS a hundred bucks?
I would say they should give both, the hundred bucks is not supposed to pay for the breakfast, it is a compensation for that fact that the offered breakfast does not meet the standards stated in the elite benefits.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would say they should give both, the hundred bucks is not supposed to pay for the breakfast, it is a compensation for that fact that the offered breakfast does not meet the standards stated in the elite benefits.
What elite benefits are you referring to? I'll admit the Bonvoy T&C's have gotten increasingly complicated over time, but I just did a little research to see if I was in the wrong with my expectations here. What I found made it pretty clear the Wailea Marriott does not have to offer breakfast:

RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1

Marriott has interpreted that to mean the property has the choice of the thousand points or the breakfast, but if we go with the more generous (and previously-accepted) standard that the guest gets to choose between them, then the Wailea Marriott offering vouchers for breakfast in either Starbucks or Whale's Tail (but not Humble Market Kitchin) seems to meet the letter if not also the intent of the guarantee.

And if a guest is going to claim it doesn't, then I COMPLETELY agree with the hotel that the guest should return the offered vouchers before claiming the $100. The $100 is not to pay for breakfast, it is a "penalty" for not meeting the T&Cs of the program. So for a guest to take what's offered, then ...../whine that it's not enough, is the kind of behavior that makes hotels hate elite guests as a matter of course.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
What elite benefits are you referring to? I'll admit the Bonvoy T&C's have gotten increasingly complicated over time, but I just did a little research to see if I was in the wrong with my expectations here. What I found made it pretty clear the Wailea Marriott does not have to offer breakfast:

RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1

Marriott has interpreted that to mean the property has the choice of the thousand points or the breakfast, but if we go with the more generous (and previously-accepted) standard that the guest gets to choose between them, then the Wailea Marriott offering vouchers for breakfast in either Starbucks or Whale's Tail (but not Humble Market Kitchin) seems to meet the letter if not also the intent of the guarantee.

And if a guest is going to claim it doesn't, then I COMPLETELY agree with the hotel that the guest should return the offered vouchers before claiming the $100. The $100 is not to pay for breakfast, it is a "penalty" for not meeting the T&Cs of the program. So for a guest to take what's offered, then ...../whine that it's not enough, is the kind of behavior that makes hotels hate elite guests as a matter of course.
"breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay" is the part they don't honour. That does not meet the letter, both are according to the hotel's own description coffee houses, while there is a restaurant offering breakfast.

If you are asking me whether I would raise this as a compensation issue, I would most likely not. But I guess that is what the hotel is counting on, guest mainly accepting the offer.

If you are asking me if I believe the hotel behaved poorly once called out on it, yes I do.
Kacee and najama2 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

RESORTS only:

Please quote the T&C accurately. The relevant provision, section 4.3.c.(iii) states: "Platinum Elite Members and above receive one Elite Welcome Gift (of their choice where multiple options are offered) on a Stay of one or more consecutive nights as described in 2.1.d . . . ." Bonvoy T&C (emphasis added).

While Marriott cs agents have indeed defended properties that violate this provision by asserting that it is the property's choice, not the guest's, that is most emphatically not what the T&C say. Rather, the T&C say it is the Members' choice. Because Wailea does not offer guests breakfast as a choice, it is in violation of Section 4.3.c.(iii) of the Bonvoy T&C.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Please quote the T&C accurately. The relevant provision, section 4.3.c.(iii) states: "Platinum Elite Members and above receive one Elite Welcome Gift (of their choice where multiple options are offered) on a Stay of one or more consecutive nights as described in 2.1.d . . . ." Bonvoy T&C (emphasis added).
Okay, let's play pedantic games. Does this hotel offer a guest the choice of multiple options upon checking in? As I recall (but my last stay there was in 2019 so my memory may be hazy), they do not offer the choice of 1,000 points, just the vouchers for Starbucks/Whale's Tail. So the Wailea Marriott is meeting the T&C's by making that the welcome gift, specifically by not offering the elite member a choice of points.

Now are you satisfied?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:59 pm

Now are you satisfied?
No. I don't stay with them around the world for them to nickel and dime me. So now any resort can choose to not have a 'relationship' with their in-house restaurant and offer me a muffin and drip coffee and i should say 'thank you.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.