Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: windhund
Wiki Link
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 21, 19, 8:03 am
  #1486  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
how does Hilton grand Wailea compare to this property??

Last edited by Jaxxx; Jun 21, 19 at 8:11 am
Jaxxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 19, 9:17 am
  #1487  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Granted I live in San Francisco, but excluding their cocktails (which are quite expensive, but to be expected in Hawaii), their wine actually seems incredibly reasonable. $12-$15 for a 6oz pour & $18-$22 for a 9oz pour seems pretty fair to me...Assuming this puts their bottle prices in the $45-$70 range, which is much cheaper than San Francisco!

https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit.../KAPA_Menu.PDF
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
Having lived in the valley and Half Moon Bay I well know the cost of everything however in comparing a glass of wine one must also take into consideration the wine itself I have sent a few bottles back in the islands due to lack of proper storage. If one is buying 45-70 range in the islands it sounds like 14 hands
Originally Posted by jsl_313 View Post
As an Upstate NYer, $12-15 for a 6 oz pour is laugh-out-loud expensive, considering a decent bottle could be had here for $12. But as you said, it's Hawaii, so to be expected. I'll pay a markup on drinks at dinner of course, but I'm certainly not planning to pay resort prices for drinks at the pool throughout the day.
That chateau st. michelle riesling that they want $12 a pour for can be bought for $9 a bottle at the Target in Maui ($8 here in OH).
Rifleman69 and jsl_313 like this.
Cledaybuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 19, 10:24 am
  #1488  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
how does Hilton grand Wailea compare to this property??
totally different experience especially if you have kids in tow. We did a family reunion there a few years ago and it worked well for everyone. Without kids is was great too we use to belong to the Grand Wailea Club, not sure if it is still in existence but was a worth the cost given the number of trips we made both for pleasure and business. Four Seasons is still my favorite
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:34 am
  #1489  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
That chateau st. michelle riesling that they want $12 a pour for can be bought for $9 a bottle at the Target in Maui ($8 here in OH).
Thanks for the heads-up. That's my wife's favorite wine - will stock up at Target before heading to the resort.
jsl_313 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:12 am
  #1490  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by jsl_313 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. That's my wife's favorite wine - will stock up at Target before heading to the resort.
You can also stop at the Costco right around the corner then a couple of hot donuts and your off and running !!
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:27 pm
  #1491  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Heading here next month w/ my boyfriend to celebrate our birthdays / his graduation from residency. We booked a stay on points + paid to upgrade to a "premium ocean view" room. I'm Bonvoy gold, so not expecting a room upgrade & instead decided it was worth paying to get a room that I want (and potentially get upgraded to an even nicer room upon arrival).

Few quick questions:
Cabanas and casabellas - is it possible to reserve them in advance ? How much do they cost ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs next to each other at the adult only pool ?
Is it difficult to get 2 chairs at the beach ?

Thanks!
Just got back. We did not get to enjoy the lovely adult only pool (kids in tow) but it was pretty full when we walked by. I imagine it's like the the kids pool- 9 am is the magic hour when people start showing up. You can put a towel on seats to reserve them, but policy is they will remove the towels 30 minutes after the pool opens if there are not "personal items" on the chairs. However, I never saw them enforce the policy. Also, we noticed that Wed/Thurs were far less crowded overall than Sat/Sun/Tues. (We did not go on Monday.)

As for the beach, there are tons more chairs on Wailea beach (to the left) than the Ulua beach (to the right). We grabbed two of only 4 chairs on Ulna around 5:30-6:00 pm. The next day, we decided to go to Wailea early (7:45). They do not leave the loungers and umbrellas on the beach overnight. The Marriott only had one chair guy, who did not appear until after 9:00, and then he still had to set things up. We finally gave up and went to the pool. All that to say, I imagine if you showed up at Wailea around 9:30-10:00, you'd be fine.

As a side note, there were 4-5 turtles at Ulna beach at dusk, near the rocks on the left side of the beach. You can see them from the rocks or go snorkeling with them.
wanderlust99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:08 pm
  #1492  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by wanderlust99 View Post
Just got back. We did not get to enjoy the lovely adult only pool (kids in tow) but it was pretty full when we walked by. I imagine it's like the the kids pool- 9 am is the magic hour when people start showing up. You can put a towel on seats to reserve them, but policy is they will remove the towels 30 minutes after the pool opens if there are not "personal items" on the chairs. However, I never saw them enforce the policy. Also, we noticed that Wed/Thurs were far less crowded overall than Sat/Sun/Tues. (We did not go on Monday.)

As for the beach, there are tons more chairs on Wailea beach (to the left) than the Ulua beach (to the right). We grabbed two of only 4 chairs on Ulna around 5:30-6:00 pm. The next day, we decided to go to Wailea early (7:45). They do not leave the loungers and umbrellas on the beach overnight. The Marriott only had one chair guy, who did not appear until after 9:00, and then he still had to set things up. We finally gave up and went to the pool. All that to say, I imagine if you showed up at Wailea around 9:30-10:00, you'd be fine.

As a side note, there were 4-5 turtles at Ulna beach at dusk, near the rocks on the left side of the beach. You can see them from the rocks or go snorkeling with them.
Thanks for this nice report back! Good to note the timing of getting a chair by the adult pool...we're truly looking to relax on this vacation, and being able to sleep late is part of that relaxation. I'm sure if we aren't able to get a chair at the adult pool, there will be someone to help us navigate the situation.

Good to also know about Wailea beach vs Ulua ... can't wait to check out both.

Btw - anyone know how much a SUP rental is here for an hour or two?
kthpence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 19, 7:06 am
  #1493  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Thanks for this nice report back! Good to note the timing of getting a chair by the adult pool...we're truly looking to relax on this vacation, and being able to sleep late is part of that relaxation. I'm sure if we aren't able to get a chair at the adult pool, there will be someone to help us navigate the situation.

Good to also know about Wailea beach vs Ulua ... can't wait to check out both.

Btw - anyone know how much a SUP rental is here for an hour or two?
I want to say $75, but I'm guessing. We went to several hotels but I did not keep the documentation they gave us so I could be wrong.

Also, a tip about parking: self parking is right by the lobby. The valet guys actually park the valet cars farther away than the garage. The spaces are very tight on the covered level, but the uncovered spaces on top of the garage are larger.
wanderlust99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 19, 7:31 am
  #1494  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by wanderlust99 View Post
I want to say $75, but I'm guessing. We went to several hotels but I did not keep the documentation they gave us so I could be wrong.

Also, a tip about parking: self parking is right by the lobby. The valet guys actually park the valet cars farther away than the garage. The spaces are very tight on the covered level, but the uncovered spaces on top of the garage are larger.
All the rentals at the little shack on property are stupid expensive. If the spaces on top of the garage are larger, the ones down below must be almost impossible.
604flyer likes this.
Cledaybuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:08 am
  #1495  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
I stayed from 7/2-7/7 but haven't had much time to write anything up until now. As far as the quality of the property (grounds, views, pools, etc) goes, this place is awesome. We spent some time at both the adults-only pool and the kids pool (not the one with the water slide). We would've spent more time at the adults-only pool if we could have, but we had other activities some mornings, which made reserving a spot impossible. The (free) chairs w/ umbrellas by the pools are just fine. The cabanas are a total ripoff that offer little more value than the chairs, IMO. They do come with food and drink vouchers, but with the resort food/drink prices and the amount they are asking for the cabana, it hardly is any consolation. Muffins/fruit or breakfast sandwiches from Island Gourmet Markets (a short walk), made for an quick easy breakfast for under $10. Per my earlier comments, we bought liquor and mixers and brought drinks down to the pool in oversized thermal mugs (makes 3-4 drinks) without any issues. We weren't getting trashed or anything, but it's easy to put down 6-8 drinks just sipping them by the pool all day, which can run up quite a bill. This was pretty effortless and a good alternative to paying $15 for a vodka-soda by the pool.

Resort fees of $38/night not including parking is kind of preposterous, but I knew that going in so I won't harp on it - plus booking the property at 5 nights for 160k Marriott prior to the increase was a steal. Our room didn't have a view (Garden view), but it was nice, clean, and modern - although we didn't really spend a ton of time there so it doesn't matter a ton to us anyway. Views of the volcanic rock and other islands out in the distance from the hotel is cool. The beach is a very short walk away as others have said - really not much further than "beachfront" resorts. We mostly dined off-resort (Maui Brewing was cool and I'd highly recommend it), but did a couple lunch orders by the pool and at the food truck. A little expensive (expected), but big servings.

This was the 2nd half of our Kauai & Maui trip, and we were pretty active while we were there (road to Hana, Haleakala summit sunrise, surfing, snorkeling, visiting local restaurants, etc.) but still spent big chunks of the day relaxing at the resort. I'd say renting snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob's is a must, even if you're planning on relaxing most of the trip. It's quick, easy, cheap, and a great experience. It ran us $15 each for a day-rental and we spent a couple hours snorkeling along the north end of Ulua Beach. The water was very clear, the fish variety was huge, and we swam up-close with a few huge turtles. This was our first time in Hawaii, so we did the Luau on at the resort one of the nights. It was cool, the food and drinks were good. But as I'm sure others have said, it's worth doing once then you can kind-of do without it. Overall it was a great points-stay, and a beautiful resort to relax at while we weren't active with other things.
GH83 likes this.
jsl_313 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:18 pm
  #1496  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Posts: 690
My partner and I just got back from 5 great nights at this hotel - we used points + $150/night to upgrade to a premium ocean view and felt that the $150 / night was well spent. This resort is incredibly close to the ocean (closer than any other resort in Wailea by a large margin) and it is a super solid place to stay. Only negative really is the resort fee + parking fee (in total about $70/day combined), but we chose not to think about that too much and just enjoy our trip.

Highly recommend buying the beach fun pass for $99 for 4 days and that includes unlimited SUP rentals, kayak rentals, boogie board rentals and snorkel equipment. Definitely worth the money and you may only need to buy one if you're a couple (the kayaks are all tandem). We didn't eat at the hotel other than a snack at Humble Market, and ate most of our meals at Monkeypod and Island Gourmet Market. Saved a ton of $$ by going to Island Gourmet Market for lunch everyday.

Other negative IMO is the adult infinity pool towel / chair situation. I got up early one morning because of minor jetlag and went for a walk around the hotel ... decided to put a towel down at 730AM (everyone was doing it), and by 8:15 when we came back, my towel had been replaced by someone else's belongings. Absolutely HATE saving / hoarding chairs on vacation - it's the opposite of relaxing and while on vacation in Hawaii, one wants to relax. Should just be a first-come, first-serve situation. Chairs were generally available in the late afternoon though.

Last thing is that the clientele at this hotel isn't very chic, unlike the Andaz up the beach...seems like a lot of people are here on points and upgrades are unlikely in high season.
jsl_313 likes this.
kthpence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:07 pm
  #1497  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
My partner and I just got back from 5 great nights at this hotel - we used points + $150/night to upgrade to a premium ocean view and felt that the $150 / night was well spent. This resort is incredibly close to the ocean (closer than any other resort in Wailea by a large margin) and it is a super solid place to stay. Only negative really is the resort fee + parking fee (in total about $70/day combined), but we chose not to think about that too much and just enjoy our trip.

Highly recommend buying the beach fun pass for $99 for 4 days and that includes unlimited SUP rentals, kayak rentals, boogie board rentals and snorkel equipment. Definitely worth the money and you may only need to buy one if you're a couple (the kayaks are all tandem). We didn't eat at the hotel other than a snack at Humble Market, and ate most of our meals at Monkeypod and Island Gourmet Market. Saved a ton of $$ by going to Island Gourmet Market for lunch everyday.

Other negative IMO is the adult infinity pool towel / chair situation. I got up early one morning because of minor jetlag and went for a walk around the hotel ... decided to put a towel down at 730AM (everyone was doing it), and by 8:15 when we came back, my towel had been replaced by someone else's belongings. Absolutely HATE saving / hoarding chairs on vacation - it's the opposite of relaxing and while on vacation in Hawaii, one wants to relax. Should just be a first-come, first-serve situation. Chairs were generally available in the late afternoon though.

Last thing is that the clientele at this hotel isn't very chic, unlike the Andaz up the beach...seems like a lot of people are here on points and upgrades are unlikely in high season.
Well it is a Marriott and Hawaii is a top destination for using points, and yes high season sees redemptions as well. If you're comparing the Andaz they do as much as they can to not have too many guest on points that is a known fact let alone the number of points required. I have issues there on points thankfully I had contacts in Chicago and the gm happened to be there for meetings when my issue arose. got that taken care of right there on the spot however the attitude of the staff stinks.
604flyer likes this.
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread