Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Library, Koh Samui, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...opertyID=16583

Looking for reviews on this property and could not find any on FlyerTalk. Should I only go by the reviews on TripAdvisor (#19 of 102 Hotels in Chaweng) ?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
*bump*

Any SPG Plats stay at this property yet. Wondering about Platinum treatment...?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ive stayed here twice before, pre-SPG tie in. It is in a great location, close to nightlife where you can walk to bars and eateries, but far away so its not annoyingly loud. Beach frontage is small but adequate. Its my go to hotel on Samui. I would highly recommend it.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Not so helpful but we had drinks here over Christmas. It looks like one of the best hotels in Chaweng (though certainly not in Samui as a whole) however the room rates can be astronomical (as can the room rates elsewhere in Samui - for example the W or Vana Belle) so unless it's your honeymoon or you just inherited a small fortune from a distant relative then you may find it difficult to justify just for the benefit of being on the main street and being able to stagger to Planet Hollywood. As a Design Hotel I wouldn't expect any Platinum treatment whatsoever beyond what the reservation system will automatically add (500 bonus points). IMHO all the hotels on Samui offer poor Platinum treatment compared to elsewhere in Thailand although I think LM does the best (room upgrade, breakfast and 500 points, two free drinks a day).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Thanks for your thoughts both of you. It seems like a decent deal for 12k Starpoints. LMKS is 16k for the same nights in February.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Not so helpful but we had drinks here over Christmas. It looks like one of the best hotels in Chaweng (though certainly not in Samui as a whole) however the room rates can be astronomical (as can the room rates elsewhere in Samui - for example the W or Vana Belle) so unless it's your honeymoon or you just inherited a small fortune from a distant relative then you may find it difficult to justify just for the benefit of being on the main street and being able to stagger to Planet Hollywood. As a Design Hotel I wouldn't expect any Platinum treatment whatsoever beyond what the reservation system will automatically add (500 bonus points). IMHO all the hotels on Samui offer poor Platinum treatment compared to elsewhere in Thailand although I think LM does the best (room upgrade, breakfast and 500 points, two free drinks a day).
W and Vana Belle are all suite/villa property, so they dont have to do the upgrade for platinum. Other platinum benefits are roughly the same as offered at other 'normal' properties in Thailand.

i had great experience at both properties.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
In Samui
IIRC best benefits is
LM BF+500*+ 2 drinks voucher/days + upgrade
VB 1 Cat upgrade (Book lowest cat room)
Sheraton Upgrade to Junior suite

I'm not sure about BF in VB & Sheraton it need 500 points or not.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
W and Vana Belle are all suite/villa property, so they dont have to do the upgrade for platinum. Other platinum benefits are roughly the same as offered at other 'normal' properties in Thailand.

i had great experience at both properties.
I know, all-suite properties are not fair comparisons against hotels with regular rooms offering suite upgrades. But I have found SPG properties elsewhere in Thailand to be more generally generous than any on Samui.

For example, The Naka Island (Luxury Collection) in Phuket is another all-suite property with suitably high room rates (~Ł350 a night on a good day) but they manage to cram in two hours of free-flow cocktails in the bar exclusively for Platinums (rooms alone do not qualify for this benefit) during sundown and they are extremely generous with the drinks :-).

The Sheraton Hua Hin (which is emphatically also a resort hotel) has a lounge and great lounge benefits which spill over into free-flow booze in the bar when there are lots of Plats staying.

Pretty much all the expected Bangkok hotels (FP and Aloft excluding) have impressive drinks/food for Plats in the evening either in the bar or lounge.

LM Chiang Mai has its lounge with expected benefits. Sadly LM Chiang Rai has recently stopped its two hours of free-flow booze for Plats in the bar :-(. But then it's ultra cheap for a LM and I'm not surprised even though the wine served was that strange cheap Thai "fruit wine" blend that is popular in Thailand with cheap alcoholics.

There would be nothing to stop the GM of the Sheraton Samui offering Plats sundowners in the beach bar apart from the fact that it's Samui and none of the other hotels do that. The attitude seems to be: it's Samui, forget it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Excellent Stay at the Library, Koh Samui

the library

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

the library

14/1 Moo 2 Chaweng Beach, Bo Phut, Surat Thani  TH 84320

Excellent Stay at the Library, Koh Samui (27 Photos)

the library

I stayed at the Library hotel recently and I have thoroughly enjoyed it - I will return for sure. 

Price-wise, the Starwood options in Samui are the Sheraton (cat 4), Meridien (cat 5), Library (cat 6), Vana Belle (cat 7), and W (cat 7).  The Library used to be cheaper than LM on starpoints which made no sense; now Library is 20k points and LM is 12k which more or less an adequate differential.  If you are booking many months in advance, you can expect cash prices for basic rooms to be in the neighborhood of: Sheraton 5k THB, Meridien 6k THB, Library 11k THB, VB 17k THB, and W is north of 20k THB. 

The main categories of rooms for the Library are the studio, the suite, the bookmark room, and the pool villa, in addition to the 2-bedroom suites and 2-bedroom villas which would be suitable for families.  I was lucky enough to get the bookmark room for less than 9k THB because of a BRG off the price of the studio.  There is only one bookmark room in the hotel and it is a great room for a couple.  Several staff mentioned this was their favorite room in the hotel but I have not seen the pool villas to compare.  The normal price for the bookmark room is more than 20k THB so it won’t come cheap, but at least with BRG you might be able to bring the price down if your dates allow BRG. 

The hotel is in the heart of Chaweng so you are in the middle of the action, but once you leave the main road to go on the hotel grounds, it is surprisingly quiet and peaceful.  I went to Conrad for dinner one evening just to compare and the Conrad is way out there in the boonies, completely remote location and there is nothing around it.  So if you intend to stay on the resort during your entire stay the Conrad might be for you.  But if you want the ability to go out and have easy access to restaurants, pubs, etc. then Library cannot be beat.  So it entirely depends what you are looking for.  On TripAdvisor, ratings are quite good but not stellar; however I noticed that most reviews on TripAdvisor which are not that great are actually from guests who did not stay at the hotel but who just went to the restaurant. 

This brings me to the second point about the hotel which you can see from the picture below: the rooms are quite exposed so you will need to draw your blinds and/or curtains if you want privacy in your room, otherwise people walking from reception to the pool can see you in your room.  So this property does not offer the privacy of other resorts.  It might bother some folks but was not an issue for us. 

20180114_222147.jpg

Room

The bookmark room is simply stunning and it is clear why staff think it’s their favorite room on site.  The pictures speak for themselves: 11-foot wide bed, mood lighting, rotating TV panel to allow you to watch TV from different parts of the room, home theater system, bright red floor, outdoor shower in addition to indoor shower, and the jacuzzi.  The only weak point of this room would be that since windows are in front of the room, you get good natural lighting everywhere but not in the bathroom which is in the back. 

20180112_021913.jpg20180112_022011.jpg20180112_022031.jpg20180112_022054.jpg20180112_022115.jpg20180112_022123.jpg20180112_022149.jpg20180112_022159.jpg20180112_022209.jpg20180112_022222.jpg20180112_022425.jpg20180112_022503.jpg20180112_022624.jpg20180112_022638.jpg20180112_022650.jpg20180112_175943.jpg20180112_180108.jpg

There are complimentary snacks restocked in the room every day.  We got a bottle of rosé bubbly as a welcome gift – not sure if this is offered to all guests or Platinum guests, or only to us because we were there for a pre-wedding photo shoot which my Ambassador informed the hotel of in advance.  Anyway, it was a nice gesture. 

20180117_014347.jpg

Dining

For breakfast you can have it on the beach if you wish, as you can see on the picture below. 

20180116_191241.jpg

Otherwise you can go to The Page restaurant.  There is a small buffet with fruits, pastries, and the like.  In addition, you can order any item from the menu, including fried rice and a couple of noodle dishes which were great.  While eating at a table in the restaurant is not the same as eating on the beach, the restaurant is virtually on the beach anyway as you can see on the picture.  You can also see a plane about to land at the airport on that picture: in Chaweng you are not far from the airport.  The noise did not bother us, but perhaps some people would not like it. 

20180114_211543.jpg

Pool

The unique red pool is great.  There are plenty of chairs and since the hotel only has 46 rooms, I doubt you can ever NOT find an available chair at the pool or near the beach.  Guests by the pool get a complimentary snack and drink. 

20180114_222207.jpg20180114_222133.jpg

20180114_222053.jpg

Amenities

There is a library where you can borrow one of their numerous books to read on the beach or by the pool.  They also have a very extensive DVD library to watch movies for free from the comfort of your room in the evening or if weather is not great during the day. 

20180116_195538.jpg

Gym

This being a small hotel, there is no need for a large gym.  Most times the gym was unoccupied, sometimes there were 1 or 2 people in there. 

20180116_195549.jpg

Overall

As a departure gift we received two luggage name tags – a nice gesture.  I am not sure if all guests receive this or only Platinum guests.

20180119_073226.jpg

It might be that Platinum members get no recognition at all at this hotel besides 500 starpoints, if the little extras we got are offered to everybody (I am not sure).  Given the small number of rooms, I do not think you should expect an upgrade.  Breakfast is free for everybody so it is not a Platinum perk.  In general, I am very much the kind of person who wants to maximize bang for the buck so any hotel not giving me much in terms of Plat benefits will not be on my list, but this hotel is the exception which confirms the rule.  The hotel was so great in many ways that I do not need extra Platinum perks to come back.  Just keep in mind that if you want ultimate privacy and if you want to go to a resort that you will not leave at any time, then perhaps this is not for you.  But for us it was just perfect and I will be willing to pay a premium over Sheraton and LM again to be back at the Library.  Since I was perfectly happy there, I do not think I would pay even more for VB or W.  Perhaps they are worth the extra money (I cannot judge), but I do not feel the need to spend more based on our preferences.  Location is just perfect for us in Chaweng, the service in the Library is great, the room was fantastic, etc.

Excellent Stay at the Library, Koh Samui

Would you like to write a review on the the library?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:05 pm

Thanks Escape4 and congratulations!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know if this property does not do SNAs? Doesnt look like it from my reservation but I know that is not always 100% foolproof.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Does anyone know if this property does not do SNAs? Doesnt look like it from my reservation but I know that is not always 100% foolproof.
Design Hotels are excluded from SNAs and at this property the entry level room is a "studio" 67 square meters so it's already a suite by most hotel standards
bhrubin and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Design Hotels are excluded from SNAs and at this property the entry level room is a "studio" 67 square meters so it's already a suite by most hotel standards
Got it - thanks for the info!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Sorry to bump; but is this hotel also part of Mr and Mrs Smith / IHG ? or moving programs because I can book this hotel from those sites, as well as on marriott . com
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Sorry to bump; but is this hotel also part of Mr and Mrs Smith / IHG ? or moving programs because I can book this hotel from those sites, as well as on marriott . com
I just was here for a week, and they're still displaying the Bonvoy logo at the front desk.

Anyways, 10/10 stay, easily top 3 for me. We stayed in in the secret pool villa, which was tempting to never leave. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Outstanding food from the Page on NYE, and every day for breakfast. Despite everything in Samui basically being closed, The Library seemed to be doing well. Can't wait to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.