FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1793884-bangkok-marriott-marquis-queens-park-master-thread.html)

CJKatl Aug 12, 2017 7:32 am

When the anti-government protests took place in the parking lot a couple years ago and the hotel was virtually empty for a few weeks, breakfast was not served in the CL. Golds/Plats were given breakfast in the restaurant. The breakfast was spectacular. Since then, I've always asked and been denied breakfast in the restaurant, although I've not pushed the issue. My stays since then have been weekend only. I did pay for it once, on a Sunday. There were many locals, so my guess is the hotel doesn't want us there on the weekends.

On the UG, at the Marquis, my M Suite had two separate rooms, the living room had a sofa bed and the bathroom had doors leading into each room. The toilet had its own door, and was located at the far end, away from the bedroom. The Soi 57 suite has two very separate rooms, with a small hallway connecting them. There is a half bath in the living room and a full bath in the bedroom. The person staying on the sofa bed would have go walk through the bedroom to get to the bath and shower.

Kacee Aug 12, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28680361)
Since then, I've always asked and been denied breakfast in the restaurant, although I've not pushed the issue. My stays since then have been weekend only. I did pay for it once, on a Sunday. There were many locals, so my guess is the hotel doesn't want us there on the weekends.

At least not for free :)

BobBHX Sep 5, 2017 2:37 am

I have stayed at the Marquis, Suk 57 and Renaissance.

Whilst I liked the Renaissance, I woudl not go back there as the pool is indoors. I like to spend the afternoons sitting by the pool with food and drink readily available. The pools and pool bars at the Suk 57 and Marquis are equally good, although the lack of shade at the Marquis can be an annoyance.

So far as lounges go, the Marquis wins hands down. The lounge at Suk 57 is good but it is far too small for the number of guests and can get uncomfortably crowded very quickly. The lounge at the Marquis is far bigger and I have never seen it anywhere near busy.

You pays your money and you takes your choice but for me it has to be the Marquis.

elephentravels Sep 19, 2017 12:47 am

Checked-in yesterday at the club lounge (lobby was overwhelmed, and only had 3 counters opened), was given a club deluxe room. Was promised to be moved today to suite for the remaining 2 nights.

Breakfast only in the club lounge, extra charges if taken at main restaurant. Lounge is huge, decent breakfast spread. Pastries, fruits and omelette were nice.

While I was at dinner at Siam Tea Room yesterday night, received an invitation letter from the GM (Robert Fabiano) to join a cocktail reception with the management team on Wednesday. First time I get invited for such events, what's usually there, any feedbacks FTers want me to discuss with the management team?

CJKatl Sep 19, 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by elephentravels (Post 28832667)
...any feedbacks FTers want me to discuss with the management team?

Yes, actually, please... When will the back entrance to/from the park be open permanently? It seems to be open/closed/open/closed. It will make a huge difference walking to/from the BTS. That is the only negative on an otherwise very good hotel.

elephentravels Sep 19, 2017 4:46 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28832798)
Yes, actually, please... When will the back entrance to/from the park be open permanently? It seems to be open/closed/open/closed. It will make a huge difference walking to/from the BTS. That is the only negative on an otherwise very good hotel.

Noted. Yes very good hotel, just switched to an amazing suite on level 30 on the north wing.

Forgot to mention that I had a LNF rate approved for my stay: 10700THB instead of 18700THB for 3 nights, a great deal imo

yngdiego Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Is the path from BTS to the hotel via the park now open? If not, what's the best way with heavy luggage to get to the hotel?

Kacee Sep 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego (Post 28840566)
Is the path from BTS to the hotel via the park now open? If not, what's the best way with heavy luggage to get to the hotel?

Reported to be open now, yes.

If you're talking about from the airport, I would take a taxi or AOT car.

elephentravels Sep 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Yes, the back gate to the park is open now. Everyday from 6am to 8pm, the park's opening hours.

For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event.

UASPG Oct 6, 2017 7:37 pm

The owner, his wife and the GM.

http://www.tccland.com/images/news/M...is%20Queen.jpg

ws8n Oct 7, 2017 3:45 am

how's the evening cocktail spread compared to grand hyatt?
Any pics?

markzz2 Oct 8, 2017 3:47 pm

Had a nice stay last week at the Marquis. Had stayed before the hotel had been taken over by Marriott and it was a dump! Marriott have clearly invested here and it shows. The Lobby has been updated but retains its Thai feel and is huge. The check in area is small but we were whisked up to the lounge for check in as Platinum members. We waited some time for check in to take place, the staff though charming seemed stressed and it was so busy in the lounge and felt chaotic. We got a lovely junior suite however and the room was beautiful with a large bathroom and dressing area.
The hotel is huge (1400 rooms approx) and feels like it. The lobby feels like a station and is busy all the time. We found it a little less friendly than the JW and the lounge was actually too big and too busy. We struggled to find seats in there during cocktail hour and the food area is small and busy. There seemed to be a long line for food all the time and although the staff were replenishing all the time they seemed to struggle to keep it restocked.
Lovely gym and pool areas.
We had a buffet lunch at Goji which was beautifully presented and although pricey was good quality and nicely done.
Haver stayed at the JW for a while but will return there next time to make a comparison. Always been spoiled there and the lounge was always wonderful.

CJKatl Oct 9, 2017 8:56 am

Originally Posted by markzz2 (Post 28908462)
The check in area is small but we were whisked up to the lounge for check in as Platinum members.

There are actually some additional check-in areas on the first floor to the right/behind the front desk check-in. I was taken upstairs, too, but requested check-out downstairs (was in a rush and didn't want to take the time) and was taken to one of those desks. There were probably eight or ten of them.

The hotel is huge (1400 rooms approx) and feels like it.

I was told it is now the largest hotel in Bangkok.

Haver stayed at the JW for a while but will return there next time to make a comparison. Always been spoiled there and the lounge was always wonderful.

Reminder: The JW is presently going through some very needed room renovations. You might want to check that those have been completed prior to your next stay. I'm anxious to hear about the renovations once they are completed. The hotel has excellent service, a great location and a nice CL but the rooms have needed some updates for a few years. Hopefully they will have been able to do something to make the bathrooms better.

Srisarin Oct 11, 2017 10:15 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...kok/748020001/

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28911018)
I was told it is now the largest hotel in Bangkok.

tai4de2 Oct 13, 2017 2:13 am

Couple of notes about recent experiences:
* Was invited to the wed evening management cocktail reception two weeks in a row. I’m not sure what the criteria is for being invited. I am Platinum though. A reasonable complement of folks from management positions attend and mingle. It’s a nice gesture from the hotel.
* I very much like how they do upgrades... I find that I am sometimes upgraded in the Marriott system long before I get to the hotel.
* I was told that a rooftop bar will open in December (2017). I hope so, that would be an awesome addition to the property.
* I toured two additional suite categories. The “garden suite” is 1.5x the size of an M Suite and has a bathroom whose toilet can be closed off from the rest of it. These rooms are not yet available to book. The “Marquis Suite” is 2x the size of an M Suite and has a kitchen and second bathroom. Those are in the system and bookable as “executive suite”. There’s another category even higher than that — marked “Sky Suite” in the elevator, but it isn’t finished yet and so I couldn’t see it.

The hospitality at this hotel continues to be fantastic. I will stay again in December and will be interested in how they handle a full load (it will be their first high season fully opened).