Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Melodsal
Hotel email: [email protected]
Club lounge email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

Hat tip to: elephentravels

"For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event."
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:17 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Nobody told me that the rooftop bar ABar is a gin bar! They have one of the largest collections of gin in the city and I saw over 100 on the menu, with a solid selection of tonic. I am a very very happy camper!
Kalboz and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Just completed my first stay here and have the following impressions:

1) Hotel is HUGE 1300 rooms....
2) Location is 15 minute walk to Sky Train.
3) Street 22 which hotel is on, is traffic hell and filed with cheesy massage parlours
4) The hotel re branded as a Marriott last year and the renovations have nice rooms, comfy beds etc.
5) Bonvoy Memembership is honored with Higher levels getting Club Lounge access
6) The Staff at the club Lounge Could not have been nicer, the Staff around the general hotel all lovely.
7) Largest and Best Buffet in Asia is at Goji ....Reservations a must...full everynight, for good reason.

There is that saying about putting Makeup on a pig and you will still have a pig.....That is what this hotel is....It is a conference hotel that often has the lowest prices in Bangkok and there is a reason for this. There are not enough elevators which necessitates stops on many floors both up and down as well as long elevator waits when the hotel is full. We were lucky....Three large conferences 99% full and the elevators are small and cramped. Baggage arrived after two hours and pickup took 45 minutes when we checked out. Servicing this hotel is obviously quite a chore and as a guest, I felt this. Conferences were not high end conferences.....People AND their kids swimming in the pool in their underwear..Many..Eating breakfast with their fingers etc. I am not calling out any specific races, but with 1300 hundred rooms, all people were represented.

As far as the Bonvoy services, the club lounge is large, lots of people and quite an impressive spread for what they are offering for "loyalty".....Several people were there taking advantage, stuffing their faces with free food, this is a put off for us. We have a drink or three, go for dinner etc. The "its free I've got to eat it" mentality is a put off for us. I saw in the lounge quite a few "Old Timers" who I have no doubt pay discounted corporate rates or use points and are there for everything they can get "Incuded".....we are not those travelers. Lounge staff could not have been friendlier.....

IF I had kids, this hotel would be ideal as with conferences hotels....they have seen it all and kids are the least of their worries, noise etc. Not to mention the club lounge feeds them for free etc and allows parents to bring food out....so if $ savings is your game, this is a definite option.

Overall, I have re learned the message that you get what you pay for. This hotel albeit friendly inexpensive hotel, is bringing in some of the Lowest common denominator guests, IMHO.

For future stays we will stay at the Plaza Athenee, Marriott Suriwongse or Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.....They are Excellent mid size hotels where service levels are high and Bonvoy recognition is also excellent.

This is not a bad hotel, just know what your $$ is buying you and NOT.

Safe travels to all.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Posted my thoughts on the general BKK thread:

Originally Posted by helvetic
Wrapping up a 4 night stay at the MMQP. I have to say, I found the hotel quite pleasant, though not an absolute favorite in any category, The club lounge is where it really shines, with very generous offerings and a stellar staff. The food offerings are alright, but not stellar. I tried both lounge and Goji breakfast once each, and both were decent. There are quite a few better breakfasts in Bangkok in the Marriott portfolio though. The St. Regis was excellent, but I think nothing will ever quite beat the Le Meridien in that regard. No fresh coconuts to be had even when especially requested… ABar is quite decent for an on-property rooftop bar, and I'm glad it exists, though it won't appear in any top lists like the Soi57's Octave. The location is quite convenient on Sukhumvit Soi 22 — <10min to BTS if you can cut through the park behind the hotel (open until 9pm), and is in a slightly more upstanding part of Sukhumvit than the Soi11-ish properties (Westin, SGS, Aloft, 4P). Building is rather old, but the hotel dates to a 3 year old renovation, so the rooms are decently furnished. For an almost 1400 room hotel, it's not nearly as obnoxious as you'd imagine.

Overall, I think it's a well executed mid-tier hotel and I'd happily stay here again — though I am longing for anything truly amazing like Marriott on Soi 57's Octave or like Le Meridien's platinum happy hour and breakfast, or the St. Regis' pool and free laundry and butler service.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Just completed my first stay here and have the following impressions:

3) Street 22 which hotel is on, is traffic hell and filed with cheesy massage parlours
Thank you for the detailed report

If you want to walk to the BTS, you may take the back gate next to Goji through Benjasiri Park for a 10-minutes stroll to the BTS. Another way to avoid Suk 22 is to take the hotel's complimentary shuttle which also takes a short cut through the side streets behind the hotel. The comped tuk-tuk shuttle leaves the hotel every 30-minutes but you have to tell the FD staff that you need to take the shuttle. I have used it many time for the return trip also when coinciding meeting it as it drops guests at the Emporium.

Comped shuttle schedule at the FD

Kalboz family taking the comped shuttle to BTS
IF I had kids, this hotel would be ideal as with conferences hotels....they have seen it all and kids are the least of their worries, noise etc. Not to mention the club lounge feeds them for free etc and allows parents to bring food out....so if $ savings is your game, this is a definite option.
This property also has a comped supervised Kids' Club on the 9th floor next to the pool that at times came handy in for us parents. Our children have befriended many other guests' kids through the club and they would meet to play or to swim. I was under the impression that you are not allowed to take food out of the lounge as I have seen staff stop guests from taking food out. Sure, you can eat all you want and are encouraged to do so by the staff during feeding hours. During the holiday season (December 24, 2018 - January 3, 2019) MMQP added an additional space by the 4th floor private pool for lounge breakfast and happy hour. The food and service were still impeccable.

Our kids (my son and his cousin) enjoying happy hour food at the 4th floor make-shift lounge

Great atmosphere at the 4th floor make shif lobby during happy hour.
Overall, I have re learned the message that you get what you pay for. This hotel albeit friendly inexpensive hotel, is bringing in some of the Lowest common denominator guests, IMHO.
This property can do without the tour groups but it's understandable that they have to fill the 1300+ rooms. what concerns me is that some of these groups are allowed to partake comped breakfast at Goji while Bonvoy elites are denied the same.

On of the issues most complained about the lounge breakfast is the unavailability of made to order noodle soup that is readily available at Goji breakfast

Goji overtaken by zero-sum tour groups while elites are denied this choice
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:26 pm

Marriott Marquis Queen\'s Park

Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

199 Sukhumvit Soi 22 Klong Ton Bangkok, Bangkok TH 10110

Marriott Marquis Queen's Park (14 Photos)

Check In

I asked to check-in at the club lounge when arriving, which allowed me to avoid a mad rush. Thankfully, I got to avoid the mess of 27 busses full of people having just arrived — the staffer who showed me to the lounge seemed to have been having quite a stressful day. Within minutes on property, having club lounge access already made a noticable difference in the experience.

I was shown to a table, offered coffee and drinks while they took care of my check-in, and soon enough I was given my key cards and left to find my room.

Room

I was pre-upgraded to the M Club suite, which seems to be the base level suite. I was on a reasonably high floor, in a room close to the inside corner of the L-shaped south tower. I was glad to be in the same tower as the club and rooftop bar. I had a nice view of the park, which I was told is the best view in the hotel. The room had modern furnishing, bathtub (went unused), shower, a glass-walled toilet (not ideal depending on the situation), seating in both the bedroom and living room, and a mini bar all the way by the entrance (only one Chang beer as the only alcoholic option!). The room was constantly re-stocked with 10 bottles of water spread throughout, which I appreciated.

IMG_3665.jpeg

Room view

IMG_3669.jpeg

Suite bathroom

IMG_3668.jpeg

Suite bedroom

IMG_3667.jpeg

Suite living room

IMG_3666.jpeg

Suite entryway

M Club

The highlight of the stay was the M club lounge. One of the best lounges in the system, with plenty of seating throughout but spread around in a way where you're not confronted with the lounge's sheer size from most seating area. There's an outdoor terrace area which is pleasant and quiet and usually not crowded. The club seems to get quite busy at times, especially around breakfast and happy hour.

Breakfast was pretty standard, nothing special but no major complaints. Club also offered light food offerings at lunch time — mini sandwhiches and other snacks.

Happy hour was the truly impressive offering. There is a full selection of wine, beer, and cocktails. The cocktail area is set up with all cocktail making tools and necessary ingredients (simple syrup, lime juice, bitters, vermouth, etc), not just the liquors you'll typically see which can only make basic mixed drinks. The staff was constantly checking on everyone and making cocktails on-demand. They knew how to make most basic things (mojitos, margaritas), but for slightly off the beaten path cocktails I went in and made them myself (gimlets, tom collins, nothing too special)

The food offered at happy hour is a full dinner buffet. There is a made-to-order station, as well as multiple buffet dishes, and the menu rotated every day I visited. While I was there, they had pasta one day and pad thai the other at the main station, as well, as satay skewers, gratin, lasagna, ribs, etc. at the buffet. There were more options I don't recall… overall, it was easily enough for dinner.

The offerings here are almost too generous. The first two days of my stay, I didn't eat outside of the hotel at all, which is rather sad given the amazing food to be found in Bangkok. I didn't visit the club on the last few days of my stay as I had plans already most of the time.

IMG_3682.jpeg

Sunset view at the club

IMG_3681.jpeg

Club terrace seating

IMG_3680.jpeg

Club terrace

IMG_3673.jpeg

Made myself a gimlet

IMG_3672.jpeg

Happy hour food offerings

IMG_3671.jpeg

Can't get enough of this sunset

Dining

I had breakfast at the Goji restaurant on one of the days in my stay. Found it to be unmemorable. Standard big restaurant breakfast for a hotel in Asia. The diversity and quality you'd expect. Good, but nothign special.

Rooftop Bar

One of my favorite things in the world is a good rooftop bar, and I partially stayed here because I knew that this hotel did have a rooftop bar, ABar. I visited multiple times during my stay, and spent a few hours working from here.

ABar is quite good, and you could tell there were a number of outside guests visiting just for the rooftop bar as a destination. Bangkok is one of the best city when it comes to rooftop bars, and ABar isn't quite up there with the better (and more famous) Octave at the Soi57 Marriott and Vertigo / Moon Bar at the Banyan Tree. Unfortunately, the hotel is only 40 stories tall, and shorter than surrounding buildings, so the views aren't quite as awe-inspiring as a few of the other skybars. That said, it more than makes up for that by being a gin bar with a list of 100+ gins, and a menu of gin-inspired cocktails as well as a dozen tonic options. I came up here to work several times with my laptop and was not given any trouble for doing so by the staff — not a bad place to do some emails.

1_IMG_3690.jpeg1_IMG_3675.jpeg1_IMG_3674.jpeg

Overall

Overall, I think it's a well executed mid-tier hotel and I'd happily stay here again — though I am left longing for anything truly amazing like Marriott on Soi 57's Octave or like Le Meridien's platinum happy hour and breakfast, or the St. Regis' pool and free laundry and butler service.

Marriott Marquis Queen's Park

Would you like to write a review on the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:07 am

Family Room/ Connecting Room Config

Did anyone know are there any connecting room set up for suites or other room types in this property ?
There are no information found on the official website.......
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:48 am

Does the back gate entry require a key card ( as it does at Four Points)? I have a ( first) stay in a couple of weeks and will arrive via Benjasiri if I can access that way. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Wlcy
Did anyone know are there any connecting room set up for suites or other room types in this property ?
There are no information found on the official website.......
Some suites are attached to double rooms located in the middle section of floors. Contact the property directly!

On our last night, we were notified in Advance that our suite is pre-booked, and, thus, we were moved to two attached rooms at the end of the floor: one with double beds and a second with a King.

King room and the attached door by curtain

Attached double room - photo taken by the attached door
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
Does the back gate entry require a key card ( as it does at Four Points)? I have a ( first) stay in a couple of weeks and will arrive via Benjasiri if I can access that way. Thanks.
No key required as it's open for public just like the lobby area. But it closes at 9 PM when the park closes to the public:
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Just finished a 1-night stay here (to trigger the double point promo). My first (and maybe last) at this hotel. My thought are as follow.

- not good arrival experience - waited in line for about 5 mins (no other guest before me) before someone came to help. no recognition of elite status at all. no late check-out offered, need to ask for it. they just handed me a sheet of club lounge benefit and a pair of key cards and pointed me to the elevator bank of south tower. that’s it. maybe i should adjust my expectation to match hotel of this size (and also marriott’s way of treating elite customers).
- hotel ground looks nice. they did a good job on renovation.
- no suite upgrade, just a club room on 27th floor near club lounge. didn’t ask or push anything because it’s just me for a short staycation. while the room was nice, it is not as big as other 5-star hotels in Bangkok. it’s cramped actually, also low ceiling. very small bathroom and no bathtub.
- no turndown service provided. (Didn’t need it anyway, just noticed that it was advertised)
- club lounge and staffs were very nice. pretty impressive F&B offering in the evening, just okay for breakfast. a bit crowded in the evening, more relaxing in the morning (as expected). however, quality doesn’t match quantity, ex. cheap meat, cheap wine.
- spotted a LOT of working lady in the hotel, including in the club lounge.
- nothing memeorable with departure experience.

Overall, an OK stay in a good 4-star conference hotel. it’s quite cheap and you’ll get what you pay for. However it’s just not my preference.

Next staycation in Bangkok, i’ll stick with legacy SPG options like the athenee (same owner of this hotel but in a different league above) or SGS.
yellowgreyblack likes this.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Mar 31, 2019 at 3:16 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Just finished a 1-night stay here (to trigger the double point promo). My first (and maybe last) at this hotel. My thought are as follow.

- not good arrival experience - waited in line for about 5 mins (no other guest before me) before someone came to help. no recognition of elite status at all. no late check-out offered, need to ask for it. they just handed me a sheet of club lounge benefit and a pair of key cards and pointed me to the elevator bank of south tower. that’s it. maybe i should adjust my expectation to match hotel of this size (and also marriott’s way of treating elite customers).
- hotel ground looks nice. they did a good job on renovation.
- no suite upgrade, just a club room on 27th floor near club lounge. didn’t ask or push anything because it’s just me for a short staycation. while the room was nice, it is not as big as other 5-star hotels in Bangkok. it’s cramped actually, also low ceiling. very small bathroom and no bathtub.
- no turndown service provided. (Didn’t need either, just noticed that it was advertised)
- club lounge and staffs were very nice. pretty impressive F&B offering in the evening, just okay for breakfast. a bit crowded in the evening, more relaxing in the morning (as expected). however, quality doesn’t match quantity, ex. cheap meat, cheap wine.
- spotted a LOT of working lady in the hotel, including in the club lounge.
- nothing memeorable with departure experience.

Overall, an OK stay in a good 4-star conference hotel. it’s quite cheap and you’ll get what you pay for. However it’s just not my preference.

Next staycation in Bangkok, i’ll stick with legacy SPG options like the athenee (same owner of this hotel but in a different league above) or SGS.
Did you check-in at the lounge or downstairs? I had a great experience checking in at 3pm (which should be peak time) with zero wait and overly friendly service at the lounge.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Overall, an OK stay in a good 4-star conference hotel.
That's really the bottom line here. Although I suspect your check-in experience was aberrational. I've also had bad check-ins at SGS, so it happens even at properties known for their service.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I stayed here quite a lot in 2017/2018 (probably 25 stays in all), but recently the rates have been higher than they were, so I've spent more time in W and St Regis. I note that the rates have dropped again for low season, but agree with a lot of the more recent posts ... it's not quite as good as it was, and I too noticed a higher number of loud western males and their "ladies of the night" ... compounded by a large lounge and long free-flow (and the immediate area). The men's spa area is also quite run down and needs a deep clean. That said, the worst Bonvoy property I've stayed in in Bangkok was the apparently newly renovated JW. I had a tour of the SGS last time I was in town to see what all the hype was, and I wasn't overly impressed, but it seemed ok. I think the St Regis is still by far the best Bonvoy option for my own tastes, which has led me to pay more and sacrifice lounges.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
Did you check-in at the lounge or downstairs? I had a great experience checking in at 3pm (which should be peak time) with zero wait and overly friendly service at the lounge.
downstairs, no lounge check-in offered.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EGW1
I had a tour of the SGS last time I was in town to see what all the hype was, and I wasn't overly impressed, but it seemed ok. I think the St Regis is still by far the best Bonvoy option for my own tastes, which has led me to pay more and sacrifice lounges.
SGS makes up for some weakness in the hard product with phenomenal service, Plat recognition, and a wide variety of food and drink venues. SR is a bit one-dimensional in comparison, though the hard product is quite nice.
FF_Dutchman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.