Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Melodsal
Hotel email: [email protected]
Club lounge email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

Hat tip to: elephentravels

"For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event."
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
you don't see such abundance/generosity with the other brands (Grand Hyatt Erawan, the Conrad, SGS, etc.
I'm sorry it's your own opinion. To me the breakfast offering is more important since I'm a heavy breakfast and very light dinner guy and I love Asian food. The Asian food spread is superb at SGS and many other Marriott FS hotels in Bangkok, like The Athenee, Renaissance, Sukhumvit and even Courtyard has upped its Asian food breakfast offerings in MoMo cafe recently (just stayed last week) while there even no noodle station at Marquis's lounge breakfast.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I'm sorry it's your own opinion.
Totally agree with you. I was not at all impressed with the Marquis lounge offerings.
estnet and tomwhom like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
SGS might not have the same generosity of offerings at its club lounge because it doesn't have a lounge, as you know. If you're counting by the range of things available, I haven't personally seen a breakfast buffet with more different items available than the one at SGS.
There were several disclaimers in my post as highlighted below. The post was mainly about "lunch" offerings at the MMQP and comparing the comped F&B elite experience in general and not only breakfast to other relevant properties. The OP was upset that the MMQP's "lunch" was not up to par. This was not a shot against SGS or any other property.
Regardless, you don't see such abundance/generosity with the other brands (Grand Hyatt Erawan, the Conrad, SGS, etc.) ... Don't get me wrong, they are all fine hotels but the MMPQ, IMO, is the most generous and it doesn't hold back food-wise. here are some photos for the sake of comparison!
Without a doubt, SGS' breakfast experience at Orchid Cafe is substantial (didn't try other breakfast venues). But there is nothing offered between breakfast and happy hour. Also, and to be honest with you, their happy hour food offerings (not libations) are lacking. Maybe the intention is just to give you appetizers with your drinks and not a full dinner. But the rooms are vast and luxurious to rightfully justify their higher rates. Hyatt and others have higher rates also with lackluster accommodations. I am at 100% suite upgrade rate at the SGS. Contrast that with our experience at MMQP where we also have 100% suite upgrade rate (even when we book 2 rooms) coupled with breakfast at Goji, afternoon nosh - sweet and savory, and formidable happy hour food with 8-10 hot dishes and much more. We have had the choice to take happy hour at different venues (Soba Factory, Siam Tea Room, or Pagoda Chinese Restaurant) but we chose to enjoy the M-Club happy hour despite of the fact that all these joints are highly rated food establishments in Bangkok. IMO and based on actual experience, the MMQP is the most generous to its elites and it fits the needs of my family.

BarSu Happy Hour Spread

Living Room Happy Hour cocktail and food

Mojito at BarSu

Happy hour cockles, oysters, and river prawns at the M-Club lounge happy hour. The quality and the quantity were there. For our last 12 nights we stayed at the MMQP (utilizing 7 and 5 nights travel certs respectively), they served river prawns every night in addition to other dishes like BBQ ribs, sliders, pasta, salads, cheese, etc.

Last edited by Kalboz; Feb 1, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Maybe the intention is just to give you appetizers with your drinks and not a full dinner.
Exactly. There's no executive club or lounge, and the canapés served during happy hour are meant to be exactly that, not dinner. Think cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
The OP was upset that the MMQP's "lunch" was not up to par.
Why you just cherrypicked only this and ignored the rest of the context of my post? Anyone with common sense can tell I mainly complain the poor breakfast choice at MMQP’s lounge (You even said it’s wrong on post #229 since MMQP violated Marriott’s own breakfast rule for Asia Pacific by only giving Elite lounge choice)as well as crappy normal room if no suit upgrade and not competitive room rate nowadays, other thing I haven’t mentioned is the not so great location. Based on your logic I should be upset with every other Marriott Bangkok FS hotel since none even provides ‘lunch’,Huh?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Happy hour cockles, oysters, and river prawns at the M-Club lounge happy hour. The quality and the quantity were there. For our last 12 nights we stayed at the MMQP (utilizing 7 and 5 nights travel certs respectively), they served river prawns every night in addition to other dishes like BBQ ribs, sliders, pasta, salads, cheese, etc.
I stayed at the hotel over 20 nights last year, know many staff and yet have never experienced what was offered during the time you were there last year; that it exists at times does not indicate it is normal.

For a year give or take MMQP had a nice lunch offering and it was a perfect snack after the gym but what they have now during the day is a poor substitute and poor quality. Corn salad in a mayo dressing anyone? bleh.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Why you just cherrypicked only this and ignored the rest of the context of my post? Anyone with common sense can tell I mainly complain the poor breakfast choice at MMQP’s lounge (You even said it’s wrong on post #229 since MMQP violated Marriott’s own breakfast rule for Asia Pacific by only giving Elite lounge choice)as well as crappy normal room if no suit upgrade and not competitive room rate nowadays, other thing I haven’t mentioned is the not so great location. Based on your logic I should be upset with every other Marriott Bangkok FS hotel since none even provides ‘lunch’,Huh?
That's exactly what I replied to, your comment about "lunch" enhancement! You made the comment, NOT ME, and you should stand by it! I have never had the breakfast at the lounge, so common sense dictates that I cannot comment on it. I remember visiting the lounge breakfast when the lounge was at the South Tower in December 2016, and the offerings looked decent. Much better than many Marriott/SPG properties (such as lounge breakfast at the WGS, ROS, 57, etc.).

Sure, I did say and I still believe that it is wrong for this property to deny elites Goji breakfast while allowing the zero-sum tour guests this substantial privilege. I also believe that it is a violation of the published T&C, although these rules are contradictory on different Marriott webpages. Not only I believe this, I have vocalized my objections to property staff members including upper management in solidarity with my fellow elites. I walked the walk ... how about you? Did you complete the survey/comment to display your dissatisfaction with the breakfast choice, or are you venting here only?

The location I cannot do much about it - you either like it or not. They cannot move the hotel for you to a more desirable location. If you are not happy there, Bangkok, fortunately for us, has many different hotel choices as we all know. More importantly, traveling is a leisure activity that induces wellness and happiness. No reason to get upset. I am thankful that there is such a thing as loyalty programs and very happy that we have such wonderful array of properties to chose from in Bangkok.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:43 pm

To Kalboz, the MMQP is the most generous to its elites and it fits the needs of his family.

To me, The MMQP maybe more generous to its tour group guests.
estnet likes this.

Last edited by tomwhom; Feb 2, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:55 pm

That's exactly what I replied to, your comment about "lunch" enhancement! You made the comment, NOT ME, and you should stand by it! I have never had the breakfast at the lounge, so common sense dictates that I cannot comment on it. I remember visiting the lounge breakfast when the lounge was at the South Tower in December 2016, and the offerings looked decent. Much better than many Marriott/SPG properties (such as lounge breakfast at the WGS, ROS, 57, etc.).

Sure, I did say and I still believe that it is wrong for this property to deny elites Goji breakfast while allowing the zero-sum tour guests this substantial privilege. I also believe that it is a violation of the published T&C, although these rules are contradictory on different Marriott webpages. Not only I believe this, I have vocalized my objections to property staff members including upper management in solidarity with my fellow elites. I walked the walk ... how about you? Did you complete the survey/comment to display your dissatisfaction with the breakfast choice, or are you venting here only?

The location I cannot do much about it - you either like it or not. They cannot move the hotel for you to a more desirable location. If you are not happy there, Bangkok, fortunately for us, has many different hotel choices as we all know. More importantly, traveling is a leisure activity that induces wellness and happiness. No reason to get upset. I am thankful that there is such a thing as loyalty programs and very happy that we have such wonderful array of properties to chose from in Bangkok.
How you know I was upset about the lunch ‘enhancement’? I was not upset at all just voted with my wallet all things considered and the lunch was just the last straw. As you said, with too may Marriott choices in BKK, I can find more excellent ones than the MMQP.

I would still book it in the future if price is good or if they allow Elite to eat breakfast at Goji. Again I’m not upset.

Last edited by tomwhom; Feb 2, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
My 2nd evening (afternoon?) drink experience at the lounge during this stay was better than the first one. I came early and got a better table. Not that they rushed to ask me what drink I would like, but once you have the attention of a waiter or waitress, he or she will keep coming back to check on you. The previous day, I arrived late and was seating in a more remote area and it's not like a manager or a supervisor comes to check if all guests are taken care of.

It seems that many guests just go and and get their wines in the fridge and wait near the cocktail area to order their drinks. I've got to get used to that new era.

On both days, the pasta gratin had a layer of some kind of cheese that was difficult to cut. I remember being better in the past.

The Sauvignon Blanc that is offered at the lounge is a terrible choice. I understand that the taxes are high on this type of wine, but it is probably the worst of all the Marriott hotels I stay at in the city.

Goji was also better early on, but it is still the Las Vegas type of restaurant that I do not enjoy much. Line in front of the restaurant, where you must sign your voucher and more than half of the guests not understanding what they are being told by a staff that is not that pleasant to them - so it slows down the process. Kind of a factory style restaurant.

Inside, some staff members are professional and provide a good service - some are less.

In all fairness, this is the Chinese New Year period. Last year, it seemed that the number of mainland Chinese tourists would decrease, but they are now back in force, according to the news.

Overall a fairly good stay with a beautiful and convenient suite upgrade and nice bouquets in the rooms. An Indian wedding party at the pool made it impossible to have some rest during one afternoon.
I don't know how noisy it will be when the next door EMsphere project will be completed, but that will take at least 2 years.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...orate/30355343

PS: the Fourme d'Ambert (offered at Goji) is a much better blue cheese option (and gentler to the stomach) than the Danish Blue.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
My 2nd evening (afternoon?) drink experience at the lounge during this stay was better than the first one. .
How is the air quality? I have a friend who has just abandoned Bangkok to the country side due to pollution. I'll be there in 2 weeks.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Tomphot
How is the air quality? I have a friend who has just abandoned Bangkok to the country side due to pollution. I'll be there in 2 weeks.
I left Bangkok (and saw the grey smoke when the plane departed), but will be back in a few days.

The air situation was not good. Many people (locals and tourists) are wearing masks but many are not .... and there were also a bunch of people trying to get a tan at the pool!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on the numbers, it's not great, but nothing like Singapore when they're burning the fields across the Straits. Or the bay area during the October fires.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

From AQI's app.

Better today than other days but still not optimal or somewhere I would want to spend lots of time outdoors. When it's red or purple then those are the days to be indoors.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: SAS EBD (*A Gold), SPG/Marriott Plat
I recently finished a stay here and I must say that I wouldn't go back to this property again. When we stayed there, Chinese tourists were filling up the hotel in the days leading up to Chinese New Year, so my hopes of getting an upgrade were not high. Nevertheless, I chatted with the hotel staff the day before we arrived to kindly ask if there were any possibilities of an upgrade to a suite and they promised me to do their best.

When we arrived, they said that they hadn't been able to upgrade us. What we got was a normal deluxe room at the 21st floor, with a connecting door to what we later realised was a loudly snoring man. The 21st floor turned out to be one of the few floors with smaller windows (this also includes the 27th floor were the lounge is located and one floor higher up which I think was the 33rd floor), which means hip to ceiling windows compared to (what looks like) floor to ceiling windows on the other floors.

While the hotel cannot do anything about snoring guests, I find it hard to believe that our room with a connecting door, on a mid-level floor, with smaller windows, was one of the best available rooms when we checked in. Tired after the trip, with family, an already made up schedule for the afternoon etc. I didn't have the time and energy to complain and (maybe) get at better room.

The small windows on the 21st floor also accentuated my biggest problem with this property, the ceiling height. I am of average north European height of about 1.80 m (5.9 ft) and I felt as if I was in the movie "Being John Malkovich". If you are any taller than me, you are going to actually be ducking for emergency exit signs and even fire sprinklers are going to start to feel threatening. The hallway and bathroom in the room have even lower ceilings.

As we were traveling with a small child, we were offered breakfast at Goji. While I think the offerings were OK, the noise level was deafening, certainly not a type of atmosphere I enjoy to start my day in.

The staff in the lounge were very nice and knowledgeable but at other places they were mostly very confused, helpless and giving conflicting and sometimes outright wrong information about time tables, locations, services etc.

All in all I wouldn't go back there.
estnet likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.