Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Cross this hotel off the list for at least 6-12 months after covid contained. I might be paranoid but I worry disease lurks in pipes and wastewater for months and potentially years. I don't particularly like STR or Ritz but I think that's where I'll stay next time in Singapore.

We should put together a list of Marriott hotels that are being used as quarantine centers. And yes, I haven't left my home city in 4 months and don't plan to for a long time. I haven't even driven longer than 25 minutes from my home. Call me paranoid but...
People in quarantine hotels do not automatically have the virus. This is not a situation like the plague village of Eyam.

The vast majority of people in quarantine hotels around the world do not have the virus and leave after 14 days leaving no virus risk to anyone inside or outside the hotel as I did in HK at the start of April after a comfortable two weeks in Ovolo Southside. People are not wandering the corridors of quarantine hotels, using the gym, eating in the restaurants, splashing about in the pool, etc. They are trapped in their rooms. In the event that somebody develops symptoms and tests positive then the worst case is that they've been in a very specific room that is then deep cleaned to health authority standards presenting no risk to subsequent occupants.

I'm not saying you're paranoid. You must do what you're comfortable with. My perspective is quite different though and I don't think Marriott would be happy producing such a list which would only further detract from the economic recovery of their hotels for, in my opinion, no public health benefit.

Edit: On reflection, I'm personally all for this list of "horror hotels" being produced and widely circulated. It will mean lower occupancy at the featured hotels which will lead to lower rates and better upgrade chances during the recovery period. Bring it on. I'll be first to stay at the JW and other quarantine hotels in this scenario.

Last edited by ftrichard; Jul 3, 2020 at 7:50 pm Reason: Sudden Idea
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
How well located is this hotel for visiting Singapore for the first time with family and wanting to visit the main attractions?

Specific agenda is very loose at this point...travel isn't until June 2021. Mainly interested in perspectives on the hotel during normal periods with no travel restrictions and everything open.

This hotel has the advantage is that I can confirm a Deluxe Suite for 4 people with points + cash. My alternative would be 2 rooms at another Marriott or Hilton, but the suite looks quite nice.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by pinniped
How well located is this hotel for visiting Singapore for the first time with family and wanting to visit the main attractions?

Specific agenda is very loose at this point...travel isn't until June 2021. Mainly interested in perspectives on the hotel during normal periods with no travel restrictions and everything open.

This hotel has the advantage is that I can confirm a Deluxe Suite for 4 people with points + cash. My alternative would be 2 rooms at another Marriott or Hilton, but the suite looks quite nice.
I've stayed at the JW, Marriott Tang Plaza, and Sheraton Towers. JW was the nicest hotel of the three. It's about a 20 minute walk or so to some of the nearby attractions (Clarke Quay, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer). Not quite right next door, but it's nice to walk around the city to see the sights. The Esplanade MRT station is just down the stairs from the hotel, so you can take the MRT anywhere pretty efficiently. The JW will probably be my first choice when I go back.

The Marriott Tang Plaza is a little dated, but right in the heart of the shopping area. Sheraton Towers was the cheapest, but still nice. It's a little out of the way, but next to an MRT station which makes getting around easy. If you have younger kids, you might want to look at staying on Sentosa.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

It is close to the esplanade MRT station (circle line and the War Memorial park ( and opposite the Raffles hotel) . If you go through suntec city shopping mall you get to the conrad. Probably about 800m to the Esplanade park by the Marina. You could also get the MRT to Dhoby Ghaut MRT for Orchard Road shopping. I walked past the complex with the JW from the Conrad to the Raffles Street and the Arab street area.

I would feel the location is not quite as central as the Hilton on orchard road or the Conrad (easier access to Gardens by the Bay and Marina bay sands) but not bad ( you would probably be using the MRT sometimes but taxis are quite cheap in singapore)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The JW location is good, but the closest MRT isn't always the best option depending on where you're headed. That said, a combination of walking, MRT, buses, and cars will get you wherever you want to go, and that's probably true of most places you'd stay since not everything you'll want to do in Singapore is in exactly the same place. The hotel has a nice big driveway that makes it easy to use Grab (SE Asian Uber), which I'd recommend over taxis since at peak times there can be a queue.

Note the Deluxe Suite is basically the size of two Deluxe Rooms, so it's probably not quite as spacious as you'd imagine. You would have access to the executive lounge if you need more space to spread out. You might also think about the bathroom situation. In the Suite, you'll have two toilets, one shower, and one bath all of which can be used at the same time (though the bath is in the "open"). In two Deluxe Rooms, you'd have two toilets, two showers, and two baths (all of which can be used at the same time).
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:13 am

for a first time visit in the heat of summer, I would pick JW over the Hilton, Sheraton, or the Westin (haven’t stayed at the Marriott Tang Plaza). Hilton, although on Orchard, is an older property and a hike to the MRT station. Sheraton is cheaper rate wise also no exactly tourist friendly. Westin is in the financial district. JW to me is the most centrally located between the compared properties. On top of
a MRT station through covered walkways and also attached to 2 other tunnels to 2 other MRT stations and mega malls. The view (if you get marina bay sands) is spectacular. The two pools are good on a hot Singapore summer day. Hop on hop off bus is close by. Haven’t been in any of the suites here and just by looking at the deluxe suite online, it seems like a tight fight for two to be on the sofa bed. The executive lounge is good and it appears booking the suite should allow everyone registered in (instead of the 2 allowed with elite benefits since it’s enforced)
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for the advice. Would the Deluxe Suite have more usable space during the day?

Our kids can sleep on a sofabed - the one shown in the picture appears to be at least a double if not a queen - but I like the idea of being able to fold it away and have a bit of a living room. Often two regular hotel rooms have no usable space for four people.

Overall, this hotel seems to get very good reviews in general. Anyone here stayed at both it and the Conrad and have an opinion about which is better? We'd have lounge access at either one.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks for the advice. Would the Deluxe Suite have more usable space during the day?

Our kids can sleep on a sofabed - the one shown in the picture appears to be at least a double if not a queen - but I like the idea of being able to fold it away and have a bit of a living room. Often two regular hotel rooms have no usable space for four people.

Overall, this hotel seems to get very good reviews in general. Anyone here stayed at both it and the Conrad and have an opinion about which is better? We'd have lounge access at either one.
Hi,

Have not stayed at the JW Singapore ( but did love the JW Marriott Hong Kong lounge) but stayed at the Conrad. ( details in the Hiton thread). There are 2 lounges at the Conrad , ( one on the 31st floor with some tables having marina bay views and one on the 4th floor overlooking the pool ( and more suitable for families) Food and drinks are the same. ( used the 4th floor lounge 1 evening as the 31st floor was busy ( 1 night out of 7). Lounge staff brink drinks to you. Breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks were very good ( enough to replace dinner). Lounge closes relatively early (9pm IIRC) The lounge staff have a cocktail menu ( I had an empress ( eq to a Singapore sling). When i was there in Jul 2019 outwith the evening happy hour , alcoholic drinks can be ordered but are charged to your room. I do not think you will be dissapointed at the Conrad ( lounge can get busy esp at weekends) but the JW marriott does look nice and would probably try it myself next time i am in Singapore.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:54 pm

I haven't stayed at the Conrad but I loved my stay at the JW Singapore South Beach and had plans to stay there again before they were cancelled by covid. Great location, easy walkability to many locations and hawker centers, clean modern rooms, excellent club lounge. The hotel restaurant, Beach Road Kitchen, has fabulous buffet meals.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Yes. The Deluxe Rooms do not have a lot of day space, basically a desk, a chair, and the bed. A surprising amount of space is taken up by the bathroom facilities (which are great). At the same time, if you'd rather have real beds and a second shower, the Executive Lounge is open roughly 6am to midnight, and has plenty of space to spread out. (Even during breakfast and evening snacks there are usually quite a few tables open.)

BTW, housekeeping is incredibly stealthy at this hotel. They'll figure out when you're out and make up your room then, even if you spend a good chunk of the day there. (Just use the electronic DND sign.)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:59 am

One other factor I forgot to mention: I have 5 SNAs. What are the odds that a Deluxe Room would get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite, or that a confirmed Deluxe Suite would get upgraded to some higher category?

I know it's hard to project occupancy 10 months in the future, but when there is space available is the hotel reasonably loose with the upgrades?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
One other factor I forgot to mention: I have 5 SNAs. What are the odds that a Deluxe Room would get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite, or that a confirmed Deluxe Suite would get upgraded to some higher category?

I know it's hard to project occupancy 10 months in the future, but when there is space available is the hotel reasonably loose with the upgrades?
My limited ad hoc experience (2 visits in the last 3 years) plus what I’ve read on FT and elsewhere leads me to believe the JW is far from generous when it comes to upgrades. I had Platinum Premier on both my visits and got the exact room I booked. Then again, I was travelling solo both times so didn’t push hard for an upgrade in the run-up to my stay.

If travelling with partner or family, I’d be very tempted to use my SNAs here.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:56 pm

If your stay crosses the weekend, you have little to no chance of an SNA. Suites regularly sell (sold) out at this hotel on weekend nights for the staycation crowd. Weekdays it depends on occupancy. IME the hotel seems popular with high end groups (eg: well known international soccer teams), and I imagine those sorts of groups will book up most/all available suites.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
My limited ad hoc experience (2 visits in the last 3 years) plus what I’ve read on FT and elsewhere leads me to believe the JW is far from generous when it comes to upgrades. I had Platinum Premier on both my visits and got the exact room I booked.
Singapore is a tough market for upgrades, and this property is no exception.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Yup, totally agree. I spent my wedding night there and got zero upgrade despite availability for suites showing and the staff being fully aware. We had an 8am flight for our honeymoon the next day so figured I'd book a fairly standard room and roll the dice. Fortunately the St Regis Bali was more accommodating when we arrived the next day and we got upgraded to a strand villa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.