Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Such a great presentation ... such poor content. At the very least, it needs to be heated, which is bizarre considering the weather in Singapore.
If they removed all of the cladding, it would get a decent amount of sun. I still haven't figured out why they didn't build the pool a further 10 feet out, as they have a patio that wraps around almost the entire 18th floor but is inaccessible at all times.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If given the choice would people stay here or at the Conrad? Top tier at both (Diamond/Plat) and event itself is at MBS Convention Centre so a walk from either.

Just don't feel like staying at MBS and last time I was in Singapore I stayed at GH so no experience with either of these properties.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
This prop was not a new build but a conversion.
Ask the former builder/architect

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If they removed all of the cladding, it would get a decent amount of sun. I still haven't figured out why they didn't build the pool a further 10 feet out, as they have a patio that wraps around almost the entire 18th floor but is inaccessible at all times.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Srisarin
This prop was not a new build but a conversion.
Ask the former builder/architect
Yes but it its a pretty new facility. I think the owner that built building still owns it now but simply decided to operate it as a JW rather than an independent property. Why would that building owner have approved it ...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yes but it its a pretty new facility. I think the owner that built building still owns it now but simply decided to operate it as a JW rather than an independent property. Why would that building owner have approved it ...
As Srisarin says, go ask the owner/original architect. They're the only ones who can provide you w/ the answer.

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
No change in ownership. The owner who built it 2-3 years ago is the same owner who owns it now. They also own the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, among other hotels.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As Srisarin says, go ask the owner/original architect. They're the only ones who can provide you w/ the answer.

Cheers.
At least there is a second pool that gets some sunlight since it was reflagged to J.W. Marriott.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Which still leaves it to cold to use unless you’re a polar bear

They really should start to heat it as the Ren Bangkok has now done

At least there is a second pool that gets some sunlight since it was reflagged to J.W. Marriott.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Which still leaves it to cold to use unless you’re a polar bear

They really should start to heat it as the Ren Bangkok has now done
That's the solution
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:41 am
Suspended

Personally, I think it will be very interesting to see if this hotel survives. Most of the typical J.W. Marriott guests, judging from commentary here and elsewhere, don't care for the decor of the hotel. It couldn't make it financially as an independent, luxury hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

While you’re entitled to your opinion, I think Mr. Beng /Hong Leong Group did their due diligence before entering into this project.

He didn’t amass a personal wealth estimated over $7-bil by being stupid and although the property doesn’t have a daily occupancy rate over 90% they are still doing equal to or better then the nearby Conrad.

It’s a quirky property due to its architect, but then again I just left the JW Phu Quoc which is over the top in uniqueness and is doing exceedingly well.

Personally, I think it will be very interesting to see if this hotel survives. Most of the typical J.W. Marriott guests, judging from commentary here and elsewhere, don't care for the decor of the hotel. It couldn't make it financially as an independent, luxury hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I just came back from a 7 night stay, and although the artwork is a bit quirky, it does not get in the way of anything. I like the hotel. I like the location, getting around was fairly easy, although we do tend to use UBER and taxis. We also walked to quite a few places from the hotel.

Lounge is good, food is a bit repetitive and a bit lower quality than what I would expect of a JW. My point of comparison is always the JW Bangkok. Although JW Hong Kong is nice, I prefer Bangkok. This JW is good, just not over the top good.

Under cooked bacon in the mornings, the same three sandwich offerings at tea every day, barely passable scones, etc. Rooms are very nice size and functional. Bed was very comfortable.

Billy
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I just came back from a 7 night stay, and although the artwork is a bit quirky, it does not get in the way of anything. I like the hotel. I like the location, getting around was fairly easy, although we do tend to use UBER and taxis. We also walked to quite a few places from the hotel.

Lounge is good, food is a bit repetitive and a bit lower quality than what I would expect of a JW. My point of comparison is always the JW Bangkok. Although JW Hong Kong is nice, I prefer Bangkok. This JW is good, just not over the top good.

Under cooked bacon in the mornings, the same three sandwich offerings at tea every day, barely passable scones, etc. Rooms are very nice size and functional. Bed was very comfortable.

Billy
Are they still letting kids in the lounge at night?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

While you’re entitled to your opinion, I think Mr. Beng /Hong Leong Group did their due diligence before entering into this project.

He didn’t amass a personal wealth estimated over $7-bil by being stupid and although the property doesn’t have a daily occupancy rate over 90% they are still doing equal to or better then the nearby Conrad.

It’s a quirky property due to its architect, but then again I just left the JW Phu Quoc which is over the top in uniqueness and is doing exceedingly well.
This "quirky" (to quote you) hotel would be a better fit as an Autograph Collection property, like the Mayflower in Washington, D.C., that used to be a Renaissance property.

Only the toiletries and the TV system are J.W. Marriott-esque. Everything else -- mattresses, robes, slippers -- are from when the hotel was independent.

I'm not for the minute saying it isn't a good hotel. I like it a lot. I actually liked it even more when it was the South Beach, as I thought the service was even better then. For example, now there's a barrier between guests and the hotel staff at check-in. Before, there was no desk.

It just isn't a J.W. Marriott hotel and probably won't be until and unless there is a redecoration.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Kinda makes me wonder where they just sent $20-mil to refurb the prop on

But if you think this place doesn’t know who or what they are, try the Plaza, Autograph in Seoul where except for the small plaque outside the hotel you wouldn’t know it’s managed now by Marriott or the Wicklow Autograph in Ireland which still touts their towels, silver, plates, napkins, TV screen etc as a Ritz.

This "quirky" (to quote you) hotel would be a better fit as an Autograph Collection property, like the Mayflower in Washington, D.C., that used to be a Renaissance property.

Only the toiletries and the TV system are J.W. Marriott-esque. Everything else -- mattresses, robes, slippers -- are from when the hotel was independent.

I'm not for the minute saying it isn't a good hotel. I like it a lot. I actually liked it even more when it was the South Beach, as I thought the service was even better then. For example, now there's a barrier between guests and the hotel staff at check-in. Before, there was no desk.

It just isn't a J.W. Marriott hotel and probably won't be until and unless there is a redecoration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.