Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
We constantly had problem with internet, timeout /slow dns answer, the lobby pretended all is fine, staff in the lounge confirmed the problem, still not fixed at our departure...
I was here in June 2017 and had the exact same issue. It was a real problem because I couldn't get necessary work done. In lengthy correspondence post-stay, management swore they were fixing it.

There is zero excuse for poor internet in Singapore. I've not stayed since and don't see that changing.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was here in June 2017 and had the exact same issue. It was a real problem because I couldn't get necessary work done. In lengthy correspondence post-stay, management swore they were fixing it.

There is zero excuse for poor internet in Singapore. I've not stayed since and don't see that changing.
Maybe it's all those silly metal chairs that make the internet go haywire?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Just completed a stay here and quite disappointed. No suite upgrade (despite the App showing all categories available). Had a very late arrival so couldn’t be bothered with the back/forward, so took the room assigned. Unfortunately that room had a very peculiar smell from the AC (musty) so I was moved to another on the lowest floor, no view. The smell was lesser, but still lingering...maybe the overuse of carpets doesn’t help, which were quite stained in places.

The lounge was nice, spa was great, room service food was good, although they forgot one item then promptly brought it. I couldn’t get my laptop to connect to the internet at all, ended up going via phone hotspot, although it seemed to work fine in the lounge.

I would hesitate to recommend.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It's unbelievable that they don't fix this internet problem.
There many small problems in this property, management need to wake up.

​​​
​​​​

Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
It's unbelievable that they don't fix this internet problem.
There many small problems in this property, management need to wake up.

​​​
​​​​

I agree. The staff are very apologetic, but it’s all after the event. I was quite surprised at how generally worn everything looks since last year. Its always been a slightly odd concept for a JW, not sure it can really offer the luxury of the brand.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Just checked in earlier and I, too, had problems with the Internet. Basically, spent the first half an hour upon getting to my room trying to connect to the office VPN and thankfully, managed to get it to work. Received a "non-upgrade" upgrade as a Plat from Deluxe to Club Deluxe. In fact, on the elevator ride to the room, there was a staycationing Singaporean who complained loudly to a staff member that she never received any meaningful upgrade as a Titanium. The staff member's reply just pretty much summed up the hotel's attitude towards free upgrades for Elite members, that they would rather leave a Suite to be empty rather than giving it for free as they needed to protect their bottom line.

Nonetheless, the service has been very good, in fact better than my last stay. This is only my second stay here (the first was a couple of months ago), so I can't really compare the hotel's condition now versus last year or when it first opened, but I do agree my room looks somewhat worn (especially the bathroom). Kinda surprising given the hotel is less than 3 years old.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

Stayed here for 4 weeknights near the end of April (family of 3). As many negative reviews I've seen focused on their service during major events (F1, Chinese New Year, holiday weekends), pool temperature, upgrade quality, and WIFI, I kept my expectations low and prepared accordingly. As a result we were pleasantly surprised and would come back for a return stay.
  • We took up the hotel's pre-arrival offer for meet-and-greet airport transfer after our 20+ hour journey, and the FDA met us immediately as we stepped out of the car (~1:30pm arrival).
  • FDA took us aside away from the front desks to check us in, which I thought was a great personal touch.
  • As this was a family vacation, I didn't want to rely on upgrade chances at check-in, so I thought it was a great opportunity to use my SNA's. SNA request came through with a huge Premier Suite 13F overlooking Raffles Hotel. Slightly annoying were the shower door sticking if closed all the way, the heavy doors to the bathrooms, and a faint musty smell if the A/C wasn't turned up. Otherwise, a great room.
  • Welcome amenities for my 6yo included kid's toiletry kit, slippers, and animal themed pens.
  • We availed of breakfast each day in the Beach Road Kitchen, and liked having the variety of eating local, Japanese, English, or American-style when we wanted. My 6yo thoroughly enjoyed the noodle soup station!
  • The afternoon tea and evening appetizers kept us satiated enough from having a full dinner each night. Dress-code wise, guests were wearing flip-flops and shorts no problem; tank tops were slightly enforced. Also, we were gently reminded of the 7pm curfew for kids, since we cut it close a couple times.
  • The lounge and restaurant (thankfully) were not that crowded during the weekdays for breakfast.
  • The 18F pool only had 2-3 other guests at any one time, and we liked having it virtually to ourselves. The water temperature was fine for us and others at the pool, given the heat and humidity outside. Maybe they already addressed previous guests' concerns about this?
  • Keeping the WIFI expectations low, I was still able to stream live from my TiVo app the Warriors playoff game to the TV (standard def quality) with no interruptions.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just had to fight with this property about my two night stay tomorrow. Had used SNAs and only selected the premier marina bay suite, which cleared. Today I found my room downgraded to the normal premier suite.

On chat I told them to either give me back my room or give me back the SNAs. They told me the room is not available and they’ll return my SNAs. Now wondering what room I’ll end up in. Booking still shows the premier suite even with the SNAs returned but I don’t trust it.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:56 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just had to fight with this property about my two night stay tomorrow. Had used SNAs and only selected the premier marina bay suite, which cleared. Today I found my room downgraded to the normal premier suite. On chat I told them to either give me back my room or give me back the SNAs. They told me the room is not available and they’ll return my SNAs. Now wondering what room I’ll end up in.
Probably a Club room?
That's a shame as i was considering to use my SNA too for an upcoming stay in June. Good luck, Do update back if possible as I would be interested to know how this pans out!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xar
Probably a Club room?
That's a shame as i was considering to use my SNA too for an upcoming stay in June. Good luck, Do update back if possible as I would be interested to know how this pans out!
Looks like I have been blessed. I asked the chat rep to have their manager email me confirming the return of the SNAs so I had evidence of it, and they said the following.

As [redacted] had informed you through the chat earlier, we would like to inform you that we will be returning your Suite Night Award as we are not able to accord your preferred room category (Premier Marina Bay Suite) on your visit. We will still be according a complimentary upgrade to the Premier Suite, which is also one of our specialty suite - not normally available in the complimentary upgrade pool - for the inconvenience.
Gotta love how they outright admit they don’t give complementary upgrades to the actual suite though, probably only goes up to the jr suite.
xar likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just had to fight with this property about my two night stay tomorrow. Had used SNAs and only selected the premier marina bay suite, which cleared. Today I found my room downgraded to the normal premier suite.
Did you apply SNAs last year? There was a period where many properties were inadvertently and unknowingly listing premium suites for SNA upgrades. I bumped into this at StR Bangkok, where I cleared into CA Suite, and they promptly dg'ed me to Metropolitan suite, which I had not selected as an option. It was a total cf.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you apply SNAs last year? There was a period where many properties were inadvertently and unknowingly listing premium suites for SNA upgrades. I bumped into this at StR Bangkok, where I cleared into CA Suite, and they promptly dg'ed me to Metropolitan suite, which I had not selected as an option. It was a total cf.
Nah I applied them only two or three weeks ago.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:07 pm

Nah I applied them only two or three weeks ago.
Then there's no excuse. Getting SNAs back plus premium suite is not a bad outcome though. Hope the wifi works better for you than it did for me.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:20 pm

Gotta love how they outright admit they don’t give complementary upgrades to the actual suite though, probably only goes up to the jr suite.
We had a point reservation in April where they also advised that they don't upgrade to that suite, but offered it to me for the low price of 15k. My wife was so upset that I wouldn't spend 15k of our million points on the upgrade until I told her he quoted in SGD. She understood the math while picking herself off the ground!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:09 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Ah i see what you mean. SGD$15k would be the Chairman Suite while SGD$18k for the Presidential Suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.