Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Are you going to Singapore for work or pleasure? If for pleasure, what do you want to do and see? As numerous people have observed, the pools are horrible. You won't be able to sunbathe, if that's important to you.

Some platinums and platinum premiers, in the new and old programs, have reported a choice of breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. Others have said they weren't given a choice, for what it's worth.
Pleasure. Arriving from a two week cruise and looking forward to a liesurely time in Singapore shopping and sightseeing. Pool is not an issue. Just wanted a decent place to stay with benefits. Using the 7 night was recommended instead of spending close to $2000.00

my other question would it be a waste to use my upgrade certificates if we are not in room that much. I would have to use up seven. Might be better to use toward shorter trips next year.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rstidolph

Pleasure. Arriving from a two week cruise and looking forward to a liesurely time in Singapore shopping and sightseeing. Pool is not an issue. Just wanted a decent place to stay with benefits. Using the 7 night was recommended instead of spending close to $2000.00

my other question would it be a waste to use my upgrade certificates if we are not in room that much. I would have to use up seven. Might be better to use toward shorter trips next year.
For sightseeing and shopping the J.W. Marriott South Beach is fine, although the Marriott has a better location if you want to be within walking distance of the stores -- especially the luxury stores.

I suspect getting a suite without a certificate will be difficult, but not necessarily impossible. Most who have stayed here have at least gotten a room on a high floor. The rooms, especially the bathrooms, are fairly spacious. Maybe you should reach out to see if the hotel can confirm a pre-arrival upgrade?

<[email protected]>
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:58 pm

For sightseeing and shopping the J.W. Marriott South Beach is fine, although the Marriott has a better location if you want to be within walking distance of the stores -- especially the luxury stores.

I suspect getting a suite without a certificate will be difficult, but not necessarily impossible. Most who have stayed here have at least gotten a room on a high floor. The rooms, especially the bathrooms, are fairly spacious. Maybe you should reach out to see if the hotel can confirm a pre-arrival upgrade?

<[email protected]>
thank you for your help. I’ll post my review when I get back.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by rstidolph
While I wouldn't expect anything more than a one category upgrade without certs, I also wouldn't use the certs if you plan on not spending time in the room. The "regular" rooms are nice enough (decent size by Singapore standards, not super spacious), and if you need to get out of the room for a bit you can always go hang out in the lounge or the outdoor deck on 18F.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
While I wouldn't expect anything more than a one category upgrade without certs, I also wouldn't use the certs if you plan on not spending time in the room. The "regular" rooms are nice enough (decent size by Singapore standards, not super spacious), and if you need to get out of the room for a bit you can always go hang out in the lounge or the outdoor deck on 18F.

that’s my thought. Using the certificates would be a waste. Just hoping we get a high enough floor for a virpew. Not sure if end of November is a busy time.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Hello. Will be staying at this property as I am trying to build status with Marriott Rewards program. For those that frequent this hotel is it worth to spurge for an upgrade from Deluxe to Premier Suite? It currently cost less than SGD100/= or roughly USD70/=. The Premier suite has better view and about 30% larger in area.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:01 pm

I'll be visiting Singapore over 3-4 nights in January. Should I stay at the JW Marriott South Beach or the Intercontinental a few blocks away? Both appear to be comparably priced; I'm Plat Prem with Marriott but only Plat with IHG. Lounge food quality & diversity are important to me! (yes, I know that Singapore is a foodie city).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I'll be visiting Singapore over 3-4 nights in January. Should I stay at the JW Marriott South Beach or the Intercontinental a few blocks away? Both appear to be comparably priced; I'm Plat Prem with Marriott but only Plat with IHG. Lounge food quality & diversity are important to me! (yes, I know that Singapore is a foodie city).
Platinum with IHG does not give you lounge access. You'd need to be Spire Elite for that. So at the IC you would need to buy your way to lounge access.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Platinum with IHG does not give you lounge access. You'd need to be Spire Elite for that. So at the IC you would need to buy your way to lounge access.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Even Spire Elite doesn't give lounge access, would need to be RA.

But the question still stands- which has better lounge food? JW or IC? Daily pricing is comparable, with the Marriott being slightly more, but I'd be able to get a stay at the IC for less with a leftover free day certificate.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 14, 2018 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:41 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Yes, I'm aware of that. Even Spire Elite doesn't give lounge access, would need to be RA.

But the question still stands- which has better lounge food? JW or IC? Daily pricing is comparable, with the Marriott being slightly more, but I'd be able to get a stay at the IC for less with a leftover free day certificate.
IC lounge is the clear winner here, in terms of ambiance, comfort, food quality and variety.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Intercontinental at Bugis or Robertson Quay ?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

The only way to get lounge access with IHG is pay for a room that comes with it. That was a recent change, although some hotels still allow it they are few and far between. As someone who has stayed at IC Bugis you must pay for it. The lounge there also is like comparing McDonalds to Ruth Chris. The lounge at the JW has an Omelette chef every morning who can also make noodle dishes. The selection is tremendous. Last time I stayed at either hotel I was allowed to eat either in the lounge or the hotel rest and I still prefer the beach road cafe.

Basically, with the exception of the pool the JW Marriott is superior in all respects. OK, maybe the rooms at the JW are on the smallish side. Both have EXTREMELY easy access to the subway and mass transit. JW is also closer to the foodie stuff in the 2 malls it is connected to as well as it is within walking distance to the Marina Bay Sands (My wife didn't necessarily agree with MY definition of walking distance YMMV)

The IC is a nice hotel and I like staying there, but between the JW Marriott and the Westin, there is just no chance I'll ever step foot in the IC ever again
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The only way to get lounge access with IHG is pay for a room that comes with it. That was a recent change, although some hotels still allow it they are few and far between. As someone who has stayed at IC Bugis you must pay for it. The lounge there also is like comparing McDonalds to Ruth Chris. The lounge at the JW has an Omelette chef every morning who can also make noodle dishes. The selection is tremendous. Last time I stayed at either hotel I was allowed to eat either in the lounge or the hotel rest and I still prefer the beach road cafe.

Basically, with the exception of the pool the JW Marriott is superior in all respects. OK, maybe the rooms at the JW are on the smallish side. Both have EXTREMELY easy access to the subway and mass transit. JW is also closer to the foodie stuff in the 2 malls it is connected to as well as it is within walking distance to the Marina Bay Sands (My wife didn't necessarily agree with MY definition of walking distance YMMV)

The IC is a nice hotel and I like staying there, but between the JW Marriott and the Westin, there is just no chance I'll ever step foot in the IC ever again
Thanks for the information Hipplewm! After reading more reviews today I'm leaning towards the JW.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The only way to get lounge access with IHG is pay for a room that comes with it. That was a recent change, although some hotels still allow it they are few and far between.

I feel this way generally about IHG's brands. I had Intercontinental ambassador status at one point. I just don't see the value in any of IHG's brands, except some of the new-build Holiday Inn Express properties in random locations in the United States where there are no other branded hotels. IHG's program is weak, the points are inflated, and the benefits of even top-level status are uncompetitive. I wouldn't rank the average Intercontinental higher than the average J.W. Marriott. Crowne Plaza properties are very inconsistent and are like Sheraton, in my opinion. Some are good but many are bad.
puchong likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I feel this way generally about IHG's brands. I had Intercontinental ambassador status at one point. I just don't see the value in any of IHG's brands, except some of the new-build Holiday Inn Express properties in random locations in the United States where there are no other branded hotels. IHG's program is weak, the points are inflated, and the benefits of even top-level status are uncompetitive. I wouldn't rank the average Intercontinental higher than the average J.W. Marriott. Crowne Plaza properties are very inconsistent and are like Sheraton, in my opinion. Some are good but many are bad.

Good lord, you have read my mind. I couldn't agree more. First time in 10 years I am not a plat or Spire - I have close to 20 mil points and just cashed in 450K for $1000 in amazon gift cards, for my wife to start holiday shopping (plus a few home depot cards for me) I would imagine I'll do this every year until my points dwindle.

As you said random places and time I'll stay there cause there is no where else, but that will be limited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.