Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joakgarp
The JW South beach has some advantages like location, close and walking distance to the Waterfront Parade and the Marina. The building is also newer and it's very close to a shopping mall Suntec City. You probably have everything you need if you stay at the JW. Orchard road isn't that special IMO after you have seen it once and it's also walkable as well from JW. I'd pick walking distance to the Waterfront every day. Pretty nice to walk around during evening.
If the rate would simliar to Marriott Tang Plaza I'd stay easily at the JW again. Their base rooms in JW (Deluxe) are pretty neat and we liked the bathroom and the japanese toilet. Just not 850USD more.
The pool is better at the Marriott. It also gets sunshine, unlike the J.W. Marriott. As for the shopping, the stores at Suntec City are fairly middle-of-the-road. Certainly not many high-end stores.

For my travel, the J.W. Marriott has a better location.

With all of that said, I don't think it is practicable to walk from the J.W. Marriott to the shopping along Orchard Road, except at night. The heat and humidity make it a difficult walk during the daytime for most people.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
With all of that said, I don't think it is practicable to walk from the J.W. Marriott to the shopping along Orchard Road, except at night. The heat and humidity make it a difficult walk during the daytime for most people.
That's true though. The heat and humidity is a killer sometimes. Can advice to use Singapores MRT which is veery efficient and spot less clean. We loved it. If not there's uber or that other cab company Grab to use.
​​​​​Esplanade Station is right at the JW and gets you easy to Orchard Road with the station Dhoby Ghaut. No transfers are needed with the orange line.

So wanna go back to Singapore right now but that will be for next years travel. If I can convince my other half.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The pool is better at the Marriott. It also gets sunshine, unlike the J.W. Marriott. As for the shopping, the stores at Suntec City are fairly middle-of-the-road. Certainly not many high-end stores.

For my travel, the J.W. Marriott has a better location.

Well ... its only like a 20-30 minute walk on a straight shot or a 5 minute MRT ride from the JW to Orchard Road. (although I'll confess I'm not a shopper). There is an MRT underneath the JW.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:03 pm

The JW must have some of the best location for the Singapore Formula 1 GP. It's literally next to Padang and a 15-20 minutes walk outside the cordoned off area to Gate 1 that wasn't congested even on race day.

The board has been quite helpful prepare this trip. Thanks. A few more details that I did not see before:

The Toto toilet was unexpected. However it did require pressing the power button on the side. The remote doesn't seem to do this.

I spent a couple minutes looking for a power outlet near the bathroom sink until I found out the mirror is movable and the outlet is behind it.

I have to say the design is growing on me. Not my style but there is a consistency about it that I can appreciate.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With all of that said, I don't think it is practicable to walk from the J.W. Marriott to the shopping along Orchard Road, except at night.
I wouldn't do it at night either. Not with the humidity.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by ATWBY2020
All
Planning for 3 adult ( myself , wife and adult son ) for december 28 thru Jan 2

JW Club Premier room - exec lounge access - larger guest room - 1 king - $850 + 200000 points
Tang Plaza - Premier Deluxe Guest room - city view - 1 King - 200000 points

1 Is it worth $850 additional for JW ( i am platinum elite so should have access the lounge anyway in JW or Tang Plaza )
2 Does it make sense to book thru vacation points - 4300 in total for 5 nights ? only JW / Tang plaza doesnt have 3 person availability for the dates mentioned
3 if i use the vacation point do i get access to lounge ?

I assume i have to pay additional for rollaway bed ( SGD ranges like 120/140 per night ) using marriott reward point or vacation point.

Any help / suggestion / comments is much appreciated
Thanks
Thanks to everyone for valuable suggestions.
I do believe $850 is not worth of premium for JW ( though i would like to stay there ) , for now i have booked the Tang Plaza ( SGD 588 extra for third adult i assume its the charge for rollaway bed ).
But before booking , quick call to front desk revealed that premier deluxe guest room is kind of small for extra rollaway bed but she also mentioned after booking call us back so we can upgrade if possible ( not sure even it is possible to get upgrade so early ) .
I will keep you all posted .

Regards
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thanks to everyone for valuable suggestions.
I do believe $850 is not worth of premium for JW ( though i would like to stay there ) , for now i have booked the Tang Plaza ( SGD 588 extra for third adult i assume its the charge for rollaway bed ).
But before booking , quick call to front desk revealed that premier deluxe guest room is kind of small for extra rollaway bed but she also mentioned after booking call us back so we can upgrade if possible ( not sure even it is possible to get upgrade so early ) .
I will keep you all posted .

Regards
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you are going to Singapore? Singapore is a great city, but it's expensive and none of the legacy Marriott properties are known to be particularly good with suite upgrades for eligible elites.

If you wanted a similar experience -- albeit one that is a little more authentic and less globalist, cosmopolitan -- you might consider Kuala Lumpur. Great shopping, cheaper hotels, great food.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you are going to Singapore? Singapore is a great city, but it's expensive and none of the legacy Marriott properties are known to be particularly good with suite upgrades for eligible elites.

If you wanted a similar experience -- albeit one that is a little more authentic and less globalist, cosmopolitan -- you might consider Kuala Lumpur. Great shopping, cheaper hotels, great food.
Nothing in particular ( for singapore )
We're thinking about Phuket ( and other places like bangkok on the way back from our India trip ) using marriott vacation points but not available for the year end dates.
Again we wanted to celebrate new year in new city and singapore fit into that on the way back - from BOM to USA connecting at SIN ( scored some better pricing on airline in Business ) . Also one more destination to strike off from the bucket list ( ATW - Around the world ) .

May be next time Kuala Lumpur / Bangkok / Japan

Cheers
xar likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:22 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Nothing in particular ( for singapore )
We're thinking about Phuket ( and other places like bangkok on the way back from our India trip ) using marriott vacation points but not available for the year end dates.
Again we wanted to celebrate new year in new city and singapore fit into that on the way back - from BOM to USA connecting at SIN ( scored some better pricing on airline in Business ) . Also one more destination to strike off from the bucket list ( ATW - Around the world ) .

May be next time Kuala Lumpur / Bangkok / Japan

Cheers
Singapore is great! Hope you or your family loves Disney since Orchard Road will be decked out in that theme during your stay
Ref: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...cters-10683218
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:01 am

JW Marriott SIN - July 2018

Check-in:

The check-in was quick but not particularly friendly.

Executive Lounge:

I really dislike the seating layout of the Executive Lounge. I don't have my own pictures so the ones below are from the Marriott website (linked due to large resolution). The seating is extremely open and therefore there is little privacy. There are two strange translucent box areas with a table and comfy chairs in each. There is also a common dining table and some two seated sofas in the corner of the lounge with a very low coffee table. The seating arrangement was very annoying.

https://cache.marriott.com/marriotta...8-hor-wide.jpg
https://cache.marriott.com/marriotta...9-hor-wide.jpg

Breakfast in Executive Lounge:

The breakfast is decent but there is only one chef on the egg and noodle station working as fast as he could - his effort could not be faulted. Really the management should have two chefs on call for breakfast.

Studio Room:

I booked a Studio Room and appear to have been given a Studio Room with no upgrade. I didn't query this.

The bathroom amenities have been downgraded from a year ago - previously it was Jo Malone and now they are Aromatherapy Associates.

Infinity Pool:

Gym:

Afternoon Tea at Executive Lounge:

Food at Happy Hour at Executive Lounge (Day 1):

Live station: Honey-baked ham ciabatta. Not a very inspirational offering. More effort required.

Food at Happy Hour at Executive Lounge (Day 2) - changed items only:

Live station: Honey-ham quesadilla. More tasty than the night before but again, more effort could be expended. No Mexican accompaniments like guacamole or sour cream.

Drinks at Happy Hour at Executive Lounge:

The drinks selection has been downgraded since a year ago - there is no more Taittinger Brut Réserve.

Conclusion:

It would be unfair to say the hotel is not decent but there are many areas that could do with improving and I suspect this is due to the tone from the management. The downgraded bathroom amenities and champagne (now prosecco) in the Executive Lounge are unwelcome changes.

There was also a fire on the morning of the second day which was not handled very well by the hotel and resulted in a blackout for over an hour (including no operational lifts) not helped by a passive aggressive concierge.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:15 am
xar

No upgrade? What status are u holding
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Is the pool still ice cold? Considering a change to Westin due to this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:33 pm
xar

Is the pool still ice cold? Considering a change to Westin due to this.
Yes the pool on the 18th floor is still freezing cold. Suggest to warm up on the treadmill, shower and then jump in.
The mid floor pool, while still cold is somewhat bearable if you visit in the afternoons.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by xar
No upgrade? What status are u holding

I was SPG Gold and Marriott Gold under the old program.

Is the pool still ice cold?
Yes but personally I warmed up after about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by xar
The mid floor pool, while still cold is somewhat bearable if you visit in the afternoons.

There's a mid-floor pool ?!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
There's a mid-floor pool ?!

It is on the 6th floor in the area I think above the spa - If you are on the 18th floor pool and go to the edge of the pool and look over - you can see it below. IIRC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.