Wiki Posts
Search

Babymoon ideas in Continental US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Babymoon ideas in Continental US?

Hi all,

in FEB my wife and I will welcome our first child and we want to take a weekend prior to delivery to ensure we can have a little vacation, or, "babymoon". We live in Southern California and have been looking at the JW and Ritz in Palm Springs, but would like to consider other options, too.

For those who have done similar or would suggest regardless. What other properties would be good for a mother to be for some well deserved R&R?

Thank you!!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:08 am

Top SPG/Marriott Resorts in the Continental United States (Read 119 times)

Looking for a nice babymoon destination in the unite states for June. Any suggestions for the best beach resort Marriott/SPG has to offer here in the unite states? (Excluding Hawaii)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:09 am

Probably somewhere in California or New England. The southeast, including FL, is not where you want to be in June.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
If the "beach" is more important than being in a top-end resort property, you might check out the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-ms-al-fl.html thread.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
JW Camelback? RC Dove Mountain? Any of the other Phoenix/Tucson resorts.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

I was looking for something in the west coast by the beach. I want to go all out for this trip so wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for the best marriott that would meet that criteria.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
RC Laguna Niguel? RC Half Moon Bay? RC Santa Barbara? Lido House? Vespera On Ocean? Pier South? JW Santa Monica?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Bfhause
RC Laguna Niguel? RC Half Moon Bay? RC Santa Barbara? Lido House? Vespera On Ocean? Pier South? JW Santa Monica?
Those all seem like high end on the water options. I've only been to the RC Laguna Niguel, the RC Half Moon Bay, and the JW Santa Monica. If you want to go all out, then the RC Half Moon Bay is the nicest hotel on the list. However, it is not a "sit on the beach" kind of hotel. It can get quite chilly outside at any time of year. But it is relaxing and the outdoor spaces are great. If you literally want to lay out on lounge chairs on the beach, then RC Laguna Niguel is probably your best bet. I found the property overall not nearly as nice as half moon bay, but it will deliver better on "beach" expectations.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by boolean64
Those all seem like high end on the water options. I've only been to the RC Laguna Niguel, the RC Half Moon Bay, and the JW Santa Monica. If you want to go all out, then the RC Half Moon Bay is the nicest hotel on the list. However, it is not a "sit on the beach" kind of hotel. It can get quite chilly outside at any time of year. But it is relaxing and the outdoor spaces are great. If you literally want to lay out on lounge chairs on the beach, then RC Laguna Niguel is probably your best bet. I found the property overall not nearly as nice as half moon bay, but it will deliver better on "beach" expectations.

Thanks for this.
Your saying that the RC Half moon bay does not have setup chairs on the beach? Will it not be beach weather in June there?

Yes I am looking for the best beach experience at the nicest hotel possible
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... perhaps a hotel by Disney or some other "family friendly" place so you can see what you're getting yourself into.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
If the "beach" is more important than being in a top-end resort property, you might check out the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-ms-al-fl.html thread.
As a native of the region I once again cannot reiterate strongly enough how much you do not wish to be anywhere near this portion of the country in June. OP, please disregard these posts.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
As a native of the region I once again cannot reiterate strongly enough how much you do not wish to be anywhere near this portion of the country in June. OP, please disregard these posts.
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you. I've been visiting the panhandle of Florida since I was born. The temperatures are not nearly as bad as some of the other recommendations (i.e. Phoenix) nor as you are asserting. With the wind usually coming in from the ocean, it isn't bad. Note there is a reason Pensacola to Panama City Beach gets so crowded during those times and it isn't because the weather is so horrible.

A suggestion, if you like watching jet flying shows and can wait until the middle of July, the Blue Angels will usually have a show in Pensacola. There is a SHS, while not a high-end resort, is a very nice SHS and on one of the best stretch of beaches in the US. There are quite a few restaurants and shopping all within easy walking distance. My wife and I have gone there a number of times just to relax and get away from the hustle/bustle of our daily routines. And the Naval Air Museum is in Pensacola as well. It is very large, free, and has a ton of Navy history and aircraft to look through. I can't say how many times I've visited, but I still love to spend an afternoon just walking through, reading the history and looking in all the various aircraft they have there (and there is a lot.)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by zagguru
Thanks for this.
Your saying that the RC Half moon bay does not have setup chairs on the beach? Will it not be beach weather in June there?

Yes I am looking for the best beach experience at the nicest hotel possible
The Ritz Half Moon Bay is on the ocean but on a cliff. To my knowledge there is no beach on property. Nor is half moon bay in general about loungy beaches. The beaches are more about surfing. And the weather there can be entirely unpredictable but rarely warm enough for sun bathing. The outdoor spaces at the ritz are more adirondack chairs around fire pits. It is very beautiful and relaxing and the hotel itself i found materially nicer than laguna niguel.

But if you're looking for beach HMB is not an option. Sounds like you're looking for a hawaii-esque beach hotel while not going all the way to hawaii. I'd re-iterate laguna niguel is a good solution. I just wasn't a fan of the room style.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you. I've been visiting the panhandle of Florida since I was born.
Grew up in the area, spent several decades there (every day, not just visiting), and am simply saying I would not suggest someone go there for a summer vacation while expecting. Not just the temperatures, but summer storm patterns, insects, just not my recommended place to send people. I wouldn't suggest Phoenix in June either. CA or New England would be good.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:06 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I spend time every week in Laguna Beach (my kids and grandkids live there) and agree with the recommendations for the Ritz in Dana Point. Just be aware of a few things—SoCal experiences what we term “May Gray” and “June Gloom”. Mornings are frequently cloudy and overcast- although the clouds often burn off by mid day. But visitors are often very disappointed by the weather during those months, expecting bright and sunny days. Also- while the Ritz has a lot of potential they are not (IMHO) up to par with the service or experience of the (sadly departed) St REgis Monarch Bay. That was a true “Hawaiiesque” hotel that we often used for staycations. The last time we stayed at the Ritz we were disappointed with the Elite recognition, although we are looking forward to trying again after the new tiers are in place.

One other hotel to consider that is rarely mentioned here is the Laguna Cliffs Marriott
Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa | Dana Point Resorts | Laguna Beach Resort

We had a really wonderful stay there recently using a Free night certificate and they upgraded us to a beautiful ocean view suite. The rooms were just remodeled and they are gorgeous- they did a great job. The service was super friendly and welcoming.

We are also fans of the Newport Coast Villas- but more for family getaways than a romantic trip. The villas are conveniently located to a lot of really good restaurants.

We haven’t tried Lido House yet but my son is a big fan.
https://www.lidohousehotel.com/

If cloudy mornings aren’t a deterrent- the Dana Point/Laguna/Newport Coast has a lot to offer for a romantic getaway- stunning beaches (Thousand Steps is my personal favorite) excellent restaurants, art galleries, boat excursions, fun shops and gorgeous views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.