Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Hotel, Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Renaissance Hotel, Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I was there on Monday/Tuesday. I didn't get the breakfast but I think they even had the CL closed as I was hoping to pickup some waters.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Please let the GM know your thoughts on the matter; otherwise he'll think everyone prefers his way re: breakfast.

Cheers.
I think the GM knows exactly what he is doing and doesn't care. Carbon HQ with your thoughts!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I was there on Monday/Tuesday. I didn't get the breakfast but I think they even had the CL closed as I was hoping to pickup some waters.
Did you say anything? I was told there were many other Plat Prems in the hotel that week and they were all thanking the restaurant manager for his brilliance. Plus, I was told, there were Marriott Execs from Maryland in the hotel who loved the idea.

If Marriott is moving to this standard, I'm moving to another chain. The quick, easy breakfast option is the single most important perk to me. Waiting in line for factory muffins doesn't cut it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:18 pm

Please let the GM know your thoughts on the matter; otherwise he'll think everyone prefers his way re: breakfast.

Cheers.
The AVL market is different. While the city may be a destination for a modest number of business travelers, the majority of guests visit for pleasure. Rates and occupancy are higher on weekends than during midweek, year round. Thus the concept of having food available until 11:00 AM may make a lot of sense.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Did you say anything? I was told there were many other Plat Prems in the hotel that week and they were all thanking the restaurant manager for his brilliance. Plus, I was told, there were Marriott Execs from Maryland in the hotel who loved the idea.

If Marriott is moving to this standard, I'm moving to another chain. The quick, easy breakfast option is the single most important perk to me. Waiting in line for factory muffins doesn't cut it.
Not then, oddly enough I'm back here tonight. At check-in I asked if it was supposed to be open at all in the morning if I wanted to grab a water and the FDC wasn't sure.

I actually ended up picking up some Wendy's on the way in and ate it in the CL. The guy working said they just started doing the breakfast in the restaurant on Monday (forgot to ask him about being able to get in at all when it wasn't open for food). He said something about there being complaints about the food and service in the CL (do you really need service in the CL??) being the reason, and that apparently at one point they did take away the hot food from the CL as well when they still had breakfast in there.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:27 pm

When I checked in they said the same thing about not being sure if it was open in the morning. It wasn't. There was a sign on the door and my key did not work.

The guy in the CL at night is very nice and helpful.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:21 am

The guy in the CL at night is very nice and helpful.
Agreed. One other random thing I find annoying about this hotel though is the parking, I don't like how they apparently let people park wherever the heck they want as long as it's not in front of the fire hydrant. The back parking lot really isn't much of a walk.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:37 am

Agreed. One other random thing I find annoying about this hotel though is the parking, I don't like how they apparently let people park wherever the heck they want as long as it's not in front of the fire hydrant. The back parking lot really isn't much of a walk.
Yeah, but a couple random thoughts on that....

It's Asheville, where the people kind of have a random vibe anyway. And I did notice that there seem to be many people from the courthouse who park in the Ren lot, so I'm wondering if they make money from that. Keeping people out of the lot would make sense if they make money from other people parking there.

While I did park towards the back of the back lot, with as cold as it is, I was tempted to park closer to the doors.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
The AVL market is different. While the city may be a destination for a modest number of business travelers, the majority of guests visit for pleasure. Rates and occupancy are higher on weekends than during midweek, year round. Thus the concept of having food available until 11:00 AM may make a lot of sense.
That may be. But closing the exec lounge daily for brekkie & forcing folk to go to the restaurant to wait in line to be seated to have coffee & danish, vs having it available in the exec lounge where they can eat rather quickly & also get some water is more an issue. Also the lounge not being key accessible. Anyway, I've updated the exec lounge sticky with the info.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:19 am

Yeah, but a couple random thoughts on that....

It's Asheville, where the people kind of have a random vibe anyway. And I did notice that there seem to be many people from the courthouse who park in the Ren lot, so I'm wondering if they make money from that. Keeping people out of the lot would make sense if they make money from other people parking there.

While I did park towards the back of the back lot, with as cold as it is, I was tempted to park closer to the doors.
Yeah I think I found out yesterday why they allow people to park everywhere, as yesterday morning (either due to a conference at the Ren or maybe what you said about other people parking there) every single spot in the front and back was taken so I had to be one of "those people" parking along the curb.

I did get the breakfast yesterday, I think I did see a line before 9 but I didn't go over til a little after 9. Not sure why as I didn't really ask and I also heard him explaining the extra $4 for the hot food to another table, but they let me get a "free" omelette (at the end of his spiel without saying anything about an upcharge the waiter said "the chef can help you at the omelette station" so I asked if that was included and he said sure...)

But as was said earlier in the thread it's the location that's going to keep this place consistently packed. Free parking right downtown is great, plus it's easy to get to off the highway and also convenient to the Biltmore area.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:24 am

I did get the breakfast yesterday, I think I did see a line before 9 but I didn't go over til a little after 9. Not sure why as I didn't really ask and I also heard him explaining the extra $4 for the hot food to another table, but they let me get a "free" omelette (at the end of his spiel without saying anything about an upcharge the waiter said "the chef can help you at the omelette station" so I asked if that was included and he said sure...)
I wonder if after our talk the restaurant manager did a little research and realized the Marriott standard is to offer a hot egg option? That was definitely not the tone he had the day before when he insisted the standard was cold breakfast only. When I said something, it would have been easy for him to say, "go have an omelet" but that was never offered. I also wonder if he called the Ren Resorts to tell them they don't exist?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I wonder if after our talk the restaurant manager did a little research and realized the Marriott standard is to offer a hot egg option?
While I think the hotel isn't kosher with having the exec lounge closed in the morning, can you cite where the Marriott standard is to offer a hot egg option? The T&Cs say continental brekkie. I don't think anyone thinks of hot items when they think cont'l. Having said that, a # of hotels do offer a hot brekkie item but I'm not sure it's required/standard.

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
While I think the hotel isn't kosher with having the exec lounge closed in the morning, can you cite where the Marriott standard is to offer a hot egg option? The T&Cs say continental brekkie.
The minimum food offering standards at morning and afternoon/evening are internal Marriott standards not generally available to us customers. Not the same as MR T&Cs. I remember a time when few Marriott lounges served hot eggs or breakfast meat. The only hot breakfast items generally available in the lounges (with a few exceptions) in those days were coffee and, always, oatmeal.

More recently, it's been years since I've visited a Marriott concierge lounge w/o hot eggs and one breakfast meat. So, clearly, at some time the internal minimum standard changed upwards.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Oh yes, I recall the oatmeal mandate by Mr. Marriott discussed here years ago. Is that part of the Continental breakfast? If not, I bet that will get Corporate's attention if anyone cares to complain. I'll just be avoiding the Asheville REN.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:22 am

I don't think this Renaissance is up to the same standards as others.
The Renaissance in Raleigh is stunning. Work by local artists
and inlaid stone medallion in lobby floor of state and tributes
to the Wright Brothers plane. Neat spot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.