Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel [Master Thread]

Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Sep 2, 16, 12:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 865
Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel [Master Thread]

The brand new "Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel" had its grand opening today.

It's a new build, right inside YYC's new international terminal ... in the connecting corridor between that brand new terminal and the main/existing airport structure. (The new terminal will handle all international and U.S. flights, which will move over from the current 1970s era main terminal on Oct 31.)

The lobby is on the departures level, just a few steps from where the new int'l/US check-in areas will soon be (concourses D and E), and equally close to Air Canada's existing domestic check-in area (concourse C). There's also hotel access directly from the arrivals level, adjacent to the soon-to-be exit from Canadian Customs for arriving international fliers.

I had a chance to tour the hotel today -- and it's absolutely stunning. By far, it's the nicest Marriott that I've ever seen. (Mind you, every other 'Marriott' branded hotel that I've stayed at has been an old building that's gone through various renos and facelifts, such as the convenient-but-dingy Marriott IAH). The design seems closer to a JW than a mainstream Marriott -- very bright, open, and funky modern. The employee who toured me through the space was great, and I was impressed with both her knowledge of the hotel and her stories of how they prepped for their opening -- two full weeks of training, coaching and teambuilding to get ready for today.

300+ rooms, half of which have stunning runway/downtown/mountain views. Club lounge on the top floor. A floor of meeting rooms, including a stunning ballroom (yep, a ballroom . . . inside an airport terminal). A decent indoor pool, and a great workout room with views over the tarmac and international gates.

The one restaurant (called "Yakima") isn't huge, but great looking with a very nice menu. Reservable on OpenTable. Given its proximity to the check-in areas in the airport, I'd expect this place to draw in many non-hotel-guests looking for a pre-flight meal. (YYC really needs it, as all of the current food offerings inside the airport are pretty low end.)

My tour host told me that their first guest to arrive - their first ever check-in - received a pretty nice welcome, plus 50,000 points, one year of Platinum status, and a nice suite upgrade! (I would have been pretty disappointed to have been guest # 2 to arrive...)

YYC now really has two in-aiport Marriotts -- this brand new Marriott right in the intl terminal, plus a huge Delta Hotel attached to YYC's domestic terminal via walkway. (That one's a 1970s-era hotel. Nicely reno'd, but nothing close to it's new neighbor.) That's a lot of hotel rooms built into this mid-sized airport!
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 7:16 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,197
Thanks for the info!

Hotel is Cat 5. Exec lounge open daily.

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...erminal-hotel/

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 2, 16 at 7:30 am
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 12:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYC
Posts: 1,866
My family and I stayed at the hotel this past Friday. We were in the Presidential Suite with an adjoining two queen room. I have to agree with FlyerJ that this hotel is stunning! The views were amazing, the lounge was great and overall the service from all the staff was great.

We also ate at Yakima and have placed it on our list of restaurants to eat at for our nights out in YYC. The food is really good, locally sourced with Japanese and South American fusion.
superdawg is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 1:55 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,237
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
YYC now really has two in-aiport Marriotts -- this brand new Marriott right in the intl terminal, plus a huge Delta Hotel attached to YYC's domestic terminal via walkway. (That one's a 1970s-era hotel. Nicely reno'd, but nothing close to it's new neighbor.) That's a lot of hotel rooms built into this mid-sized airport!
Last I heard, the current plans are to close the old Delta airport hotel, demolish it, and turn the vacated area into a parking garage to go between the two existing parking garages. Not sure how soon this will happen, but it is in the plans.

BTW, the new international terminal is very nice and spacious inside. I was there a few weeks ago commissioning some systems there. Going back hopefully next week to finish things up. Maybe I should get them to put me up in the new Marriott?!?!
Arthurrs is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 9:10 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,197
Press release saying it's officially open:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/10/mar...port-terminal/

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Oct 20, 16, 11:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Whistler, BC
Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
The brand new "Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel" had its grand opening today.

It's a new build, right inside YYC's new international terminal ... in the connecting corridor between that brand new terminal and the main/existing airport structure. (The new terminal will handle all international and U.S. flights, which will move over from the current 1970s era main terminal on Oct 31.)

The lobby is on the departures level, just a few steps from where the new int'l/US check-in areas will soon be (concourses D and E), and equally close to Air Canada's existing domestic check-in area (concourse C). There's also hotel access directly from the arrivals level, adjacent to the soon-to-be exit from Canadian Customs for arriving international fliers.

I had a chance to tour the hotel today -- and it's absolutely stunning. By far, it's the nicest Marriott that I've ever seen. (Mind you, every other 'Marriott' branded hotel that I've stayed at has been an old building that's gone through various renos and facelifts, such as the convenient-but-dingy Marriott IAH). The design seems closer to a JW than a mainstream Marriott -- very bright, open, and funky modern. The employee who toured me through the space was great, and I was impressed with both her knowledge of the hotel and her stories of how they prepped for their opening -- two full weeks of training, coaching and teambuilding to get ready for today.

300+ rooms, half of which have stunning runway/downtown/mountain views. Club lounge on the top floor. A floor of meeting rooms, including a stunning ballroom (yep, a ballroom . . . inside an airport terminal). A decent indoor pool, and a great workout room with views over the tarmac and international gates.

The one restaurant (called "Yakima") isn't huge, but great looking with a very nice menu. Reservable on OpenTable. Given its proximity to the check-in areas in the airport, I'd expect this place to draw in many non-hotel-guests looking for a pre-flight meal. (YYC really needs it, as all of the current food offerings inside the airport are pretty low end.)

My tour host told me that their first guest to arrive - their first ever check-in - received a pretty nice welcome, plus 50,000 points, one year of Platinum status, and a nice suite upgrade! (I would have been pretty disappointed to have been guest # 2 to arrive...)

YYC now really has two in-aiport Marriotts -- this brand new Marriott right in the intl terminal, plus a huge Delta Hotel attached to YYC's domestic terminal via walkway. (That one's a 1970s-era hotel. Nicely reno'd, but nothing close to it's new neighbor.) That's a lot of hotel rooms built into this mid-sized airport!
Very happy for this. Perfect first night of vacation heading off to Sun Spots!
catarina is offline  
Old Nov 2, 16, 10:32 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 865
Calgary's massive new international terminal (which this Marriott is part of) officially opened for business on Monday Oct 31.

The entire facility is now up and running, with the Marriott beautifully situated right inside the airport .. in-between the new international gates and the (old) domestic gates.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 1:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 184
Hoping to jump on this thread to ask a question. In June, I'm flying into YYC at 9pm with a 2 year old, and I'll be 6 months pregnant. We are thinking of just crashing at a YYC hotel and then starting fresh in the morning to drive to Banff. I'm wondering which of the YYC in-terminal hotels is the easiest/quickest to get to with a cranky toddler? Price difference between the two doesn't seem substantial. Thanks for any tips!
ashley1245 is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 1:29 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by ashley1245 View Post
Hoping to jump on this thread to ask a question. In June, I'm flying into YYC at 9pm with a 2 year old, and I'll be 6 months pregnant. We are thinking of just crashing at a YYC hotel and then starting fresh in the morning to drive to Banff. I'm wondering which of the YYC in-terminal hotels is the easiest/quickest to get to with a cranky toddler? Price difference between the two doesn't seem substantial. Thanks for any tips!
Go for the new "in-terminal" Marriott. Definitely.

It's the newest, it's the nicest, and it will be a bit closer to where you'll exit Canadian customs.

The Delta is fine, too. But it's a 1970s-era building, although nicely renovated within the past few years, and you need to cross a road - in an enclosed skybridge - to get to it (so it's a few steps further away).
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 1:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,237
If you're coming in on an international (or USA) flight, the Marriott hotel is located in the lobby between international and domestic terminals and would be the shortest walk. If you're arriving from Domestic terminal, then the Delta might be a shorter walk, however you have to go outside and cross the curbside roadway to get to it. I'd choose the newer hotel of the two, it not too much of a further walk either way.
Arthurrs is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 1:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 184
FlyerJ and Arthurrs--Thank you so much!
The Marriott it is!
ashley1245 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 17, 12:27 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 280
Stayed here last week . Great stay Wish there were more like this. We had a late flight arrival and it was an easy walk to hotel. Morning breakfast had a great selection. Uber pickup to town was right outside.
rstidolph is offline  
Old Aug 1, 17, 10:33 am
  #13  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,032
scored this place on priceline for a priceline bid of 60usd+tax (so like 72usd or something). kinda disappointed because i wanted something with free parking but f.w.p.

very well integrated into the airport, as in, it's in the terminal. between concourses. and on multiple floors. i don't know of any other airport that has this, i mean at iah you gotta go out the airport for a bit, fra the same, yyz has the airport between terminals. all these airports have integrated airports but the yyc marriott is next level integrated. i'm surprised they got that right.

i'm a marriott gold and they upgraded me to club floor, "concierge room" which i guess means you get a bathrobe and a couch or something. room was impeccable and even had a telescope thing so you could creep on the rampies or check out the sterile downtown skyline. tv came out of the wall so i was able to plug in my mac<>hdmi cable to watch series. bathroom was great but no bathtub.

didn't see club lounge happy hour (cash bar i think) but happy they had sparkling water on tap (which no place in this redneck town does) which made me very happy. breakfast was acceptable. very nice spread but quality was meh. it's obvious they were trying, i mean they had a euro breakfast option of cheese and cold cuts, but they didn't have ANY bread beyond white/brown slices. hot/merican options were oatmeal, awful scrambled eggs (holiday inn express awful), boiled eggs, bacon, cereals. coffee machine made the most bitter, disgusting lattes and cappuccinos. during the day they had those jelly snake things and sour gumballs. nice layout and view of ramp action if you're into that. but awful food. yet again this is calgary and i need to gear down my expectations.
cur is offline  
Old Dec 1, 17, 7:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 444
Just wondering if anyone has stayed here recently and can comment on the breakfast selection at the lounge?
jasonz9238 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:43 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Posts: 312
We stayed there last month and found it worked out very well. They do a great food presentation in the morning that covers, cereal, oatmeal, bread, fruit, etc... The coffee selection is good, teas as well. Service is warm and helpful. The lounge is comfortable and the set up is good - not huge but not too small. I felt it was worth it. Service all around at this property has been very strong.
3galsontour is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread