Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report w/ pictures! Much appreciated. And wow - that room really is small.

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Lighthumor writes he is a Plat, so why wasn't he upgraded to a bigger room? Was it totally 100% booked? It seems he should have been upgraded from such a ridiculously little room!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Size of rooms: (square meter/square feet)

Petite Double: 11/118
Petite Single: 9/97
Classic: 13/140
Terrace: 15/161
Executive: 17/183
Executive Balcony: 18/194
Deluxe: 20/215
Suite: 55/592

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Yikes! I can see how that used to be a hostel!

Pretty bad that they didn't upgrade him to one of the better rooms as a plat.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
What great timing - I was umming and ahhing about this property vs the Marriott across the road for a stay coming up - both the same price. After this review - I will definitely go to the Marriott!

Thanks for the info.

Regards

aks120
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Wow! That is a small room. I can't imagine trying to fit 2 people, which given it is supposed to be a double bedroom is allowable (as opposed to a twin bedroom which would clearly only allow 1 person.)

Thanks for that review. Given that I really like the Marriott across the street, I don't see myself changing to the Xenia any time soon.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

If by chance an elite stays at the property in the future (aka, if the Marriott is substantially above the Xenia in terms of price), hopefully the listing above of room name/types & square footage means the FTer will know to ask for a better upgrade - ie, we've upgraded you to a double. Hmm, is a deluxe or executive room available instead?

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
@HookEm - This *was* an upgrade. I honestly didn't pay close attention to the beds when I made my reservation, figuring it would be a basic hotel room and be just fine. My pain, your gain! Lesson learned. Glad I could help you all decide.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Well, I've pulled the trigger saving £150 on a 3 night stay at the Xenia vs the Kensington Marriott, though looking at the pictures of the petit double lighthumor was upgraded to I decided against the 9sq metre petit single and instead plumped for that double at £8 extra per night, as looking at lighthumor post I think this hotels upgrade policy is one room category only, and I don't fancy that version of a double room much. Hence booking that double should see me upgraded into at least a decently sized classic - at least that's the strategy! I'm there in 2 weeks and will update you how it goes!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
With these 2 directly opposite one another I suspect for many of us the choice between the 2 will become one of price, but it's important to compare apples to apples. Hopefully a side-by-side type comparison will help weigh up the value.

Kensington Autograph or Marriott

Autograph Xenia has 8 room types
Xenia has no Exec lounge

Petit single 97sqft
Petit double 118sqft
Classic double/twin 140sqft
Terrace double/twin161sqft
Exec King/Twin 183sqft
Exec balcony King/Twin 194sqft
Deluxe King/Twin 215sqft
Suite balcony King 592sqft

Marriott has 5 room types
Marriott has interior exec lounge

Deluxe Queen 258sqft
Exec King/Twin 258sqft
Exec large King 323sqft
Junior Suite 2x King 516sqft
Kensington Suite King 516sqft

It's worth remembering that Marriott has 2 types of London properties bearing the Marriott name, the 5-stars at Grosvenor Square, Park Lane, County Hall and West India Quay and the more brand-typical 4-stars at Marble Arch, Kensington, Regents Park and Maida Vale.

In my experience the Kensington Marriott either doesn't upgrade at all, or when it does only to an Exec King. Hence even as a Gold/Plat your room is likely to be 258sqft, though I am very, very sceptical about that size - I'm not sure how they've measured it but my room at the Marriott has always felt pretty small, nothing like 250sqft. I personally felt it was somewhat less than 200sqft. Even so, the Marriott room size isn't too bad for London but a lot smaller than its 5-star properties. The Xenia hasn't been open long enough to be sure of its policy but so far it would seem it does actively upgrade but maybe only by one category. So Gold/Plat reserving a 97sqft single can, subject to availability expect a 118sqft double. Booking a 118sqft double should see you into a 140sqft classic.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I just went and looked up the room size we had a St. Ermins last week. (Award room, Queen, no upgrade) and their basic Q room is listed as "172- 226 sqft"

I would say our room was on the smaller end of that range. Of course its a Cat. 8 and the other central hotels are Cat. 9.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

BTW - there's a SPG property that opened up in London a few months ago, part of the Design Hotel brand called Blakes Hotel. Reading that thread, the rooms sound as small as the Xenia

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Interesting, I just went and looked up the room size we had a St. Ermins last week. (Award room, Queen, no upgrade) and their basic Q room is listed as "172- 226 sqft"
Which means you need a 3-4 room category upgrade at this property to match St. Ermin's.

Sounds like this property is fine if you need to be in the Earls Court area or need a place that's less expensive to stay (when rates are less), but not necessarily otherwise.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really need to start to pay attention to that number on stays of longer than a night or two. Or I may kill my roommate. A chart of London sq. ft. basic award room size vs. points.
A good project for a bored flyer talker.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Wow, crazy small even for London! I just hope the walls are super thick since you have so many people in such a small space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.