Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Klaus K Helsinki, Finland [Left Design Hotels & Bonvoy Jan 2020] [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Klaus K Helsinki, Finland [Left Design Hotels & Bonvoy Jan 2020] [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I stayed here in August in a sky loft room which was definitely not tired. In fact, that room type was only opened a few years ago after a renovation. The top floor hallways were clean throughout my stays, and so was the sky lounge. No complaints.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:08 am

I just had a two night stay here last month as well. I was in a Passion Queen. I didn't feel the room was dirty at all, but it did have a bit more of a dated look. Unfortunately, the window was missing its shade, and the next morning when I showered the bathroom flooded quite bad (the tub drains into a floor drain below, which was backed up). I raised the issues - in particular the drain - without asking for any specific remedy beyond a fix, and while I was out for a few hours the hotel upgraded me to a skyloft for the next night. What a difference - modern, far more comfortable.

I enjoyed the breakfast (included in my rate), and thought the staff were solid.

I would definitely stay again, but would book directly into a sky loft - or look at other options.

Last edited by makin'miles; Oct 29, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
My 2017 upgrade statistics at Klaus K, FWIW:
  • 7 upgrades to Sky Lofts on 7 paid stays
  • 0 upgrades on 1 award stay
We are definitely getting to know the bartenders, thanks to the free Sky Loft drinks (in lieu of a lounge).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by brentford77
Is this confirmed? Originally I heard it rumoured that St. George would be a Luxury Collection branded hotel but now I see the design hotels logo on their page. In any case, it doesn't show up on an SPG search for April even though they should be open in January. Anyone know any more colour on this?
Still not showing up on spg.com, but their own site now accepts bookings as from 15 Feb 2018. The lowest rate for double occupancy in the first several weeks seems to be 230€
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:03 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Good to see overall decent impressions of this place. We'll be staying here for a few nights during Christmas week... can't wait.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 12/25 - 12/26

Location: The hotel is well located for touring Helsinki. It's located within a mile of the big Helsinki sights (the Central Market, Uspenski Church, ferries etc.) and easily walkable to a number of good restaurants, bars and stores. The Mannerheiminite is a block away which has a number of trolley stops on it and it's within a half mile of the main Helsinki Train Station. HEL can be reached in about an hour via bus or 20 minutes with no traffic by car (an Uber is 40 Euros).

Hotel: The hotel is fairly small. The lobby has a restaurant and bar open in the evenings and an attached Italian Restaurant though I'm not sure if it's part of the hotel. There's also a sitting area and a breakfast area just off the main desk. On the top (7th floor) is another bar called the Skybar. Everything looked new and it was a very pleasant place to be.

Check In: The agent thanked me for being Platinum and said "I'm sure we've already upgraded you". I was able to get into a room at 10 AM and I was given a Sky Suite which was a big upgrade. I will note that the agent didn't recheck my credit card which led to a billing issue later.

Room: As mentioned the room was a suite. It had a living room area with a kitchenette with mini bar and coffee maker. The bedroom area had a large, comfortable bed with outlets next to it. The bathroom was huge with a massive shower with two shower heads. There was also a balcony though obviously in December that part wasn't that important.

Other: As mentioned above my credit card wasn't checked so the hotel had to contact me later for the number so they could close my statement. That was a little weird but not a big deal.

The hotel went for 120 Euros a night which isn't bad. I think it's a bit more comfortable than the Hilton though obviously if you want a lounge you need to stay elsewhere. The location works, staff are friendly and helpful (they found me a rare restaurant that was open on 12/26) and the rooms are very nice.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Hotel is leaving Marriott in Jan 2020.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Thanks for the update - I've booked five nights in a Sky Suite starting next week - so looks like I've just made the cut off!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Not as bad of news as The Kamp leaving SPG/Marriott, but still not great news. I like the St. George, but it's not the best value for money (and given both The Kamp's departure and now Klaus K's, I'm thinking the St. George's days with Marriott are probably limited). The Katajanokka is great but a little bit out of the way, in my opinion.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Not as bad of news as The Kamp leaving SPG/Marriott, but still not great news. I like the St. George, but it's not the best value for money (and given both The Kamp's departure and now Klaus K's, I'm thinking the St. George's days with Marriott are probably limited). The Katajanokka is great but a little bit out of the way, in my opinion.
Klaus K's departure seems to coincide with the (we hope) completion of the new U14, scheduled for February 2020. The location is definitely better than Katajanokka's. No reservations possible yet, though. I started a Master Thread some time ago.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Meh, doesn't look so great anyway. I remain loyal to the Kamp.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
This is a bummer. Thank you for the update.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Marriott needs to up their game here in the north. Northern Europe is just not Stockholm and Copenhagen and at the moment Scandic Hotels and Nordic Choice can do whatever they want.
FlyerTalkHandle likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:06 am

No!!!!! I stay here all the time. Ugh
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkHandle
No!!!!! I stay here all the time. Ugh
Agree.. was really sad about this as corporate rates were quite reasonable at around 145 EUR. Hard to justify St George for 2x the rate... Hoping the Autograph Collection property mentioned above is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.