Sheraton vs. Aloft Brooklyn

Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Sheraton vs. Aloft Brooklyn

We will be in NY next weekend seeing a friend's band. He's playing within walking distance of these two hotels in Brooklyn, so we thought we'd get a room.

Any opinions on one vs. the other? They are the same price. Reviews of both properties appear to be all over the map, and both seem to have pretty terrible reviews regarding customer service.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Depends on how long you were planning to stay at the hotel.

The hotels are literally next door, sharing one wall, so the location does not make any difference.

Room size is about the same for both hotels, although the furniture layout for the Aloft makes it seemed roomier. Platform bed at the Aloft, which is lower and closer to the ground, and standard bed at the Sheraton. The Aloft has pump-based bathroom amenities with 1 bar of soap, while the Sheraton has mini bottles.

The Sheraton has a concierge lounge and full restaurant. Aloft has a small bar with cheap(er) drinks and 24 hour snack shop.

The staff at the Aloft seemed to be friendlier than the Sheraton.

If you're platinum, I would push for the Sheraton for the extra 250 amenity points and concierge lounge access. For Gold member, the difference is moot.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you for the reply, PTahCha!

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Depends on how long you were planning to stay at the hotel.
We would be there 2 nights. And I was thinking of just using points for the stay. We would be moving over to the W Union Square for Saturday nite.

The staff at the Aloft seemed to be friendlier than the Sheraton
I read this in the TA reviews, as well. But, it sounded like some of the rooms at the Aloft were really showing their wear. I'm torn. If our friend wasn't playing on a Friday night around the corner, we would just stay at the W the whole time!

I appreciate the response.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG
Bumping this post to see if there were more opinions out there. I am facing the same question of which to stay at. Thanks!
Old May 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I used to stay at both for work weekly and eventually preferred the Sheraton.

The Sheraton has much better upgrade chances and has a 24 hour lounge. Post renovation it also has bathrooms with actual fans that have a dedicated switch - no worry of your room overflowing with shower steam and heat from the barn door like aloft sliding door.

The Sheraton is also more full service. I personally found the staff at the Sheraton more service oriented - at the aLoft it is very hit or miss. It is a limited service property after all.

The Sheraton has some nice suites with large balconies too that you can request.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I used to stay at both for work weekly and eventually preferred the Sheraton.

The Sheraton has much better upgrade chances and has a 24 hour lounge. Post renovation it also has bathrooms with actual fans that have a dedicated switch - no worry of your room overflowing with shower steam and heat from the barn door like aloft sliding door.

The Sheraton is also more full service. I personally found the staff at the Sheraton more service oriented - at the aLoft it is very hit or miss. It is a limited service property after all.

The Sheraton has some nice suites with large balconies too that you can request.
Thanks. I have until 6PM to switch my exisiting aloft res, at which point the cancellation fee is USD 799!

Any intel on availability of upgrades (mind you I am only Gold). Might just keep aloft if their keyless is working as it should to avoid dealing with actual human beings.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wds17
Thanks. I have until 6PM to switch my exisiting aloft res, at which point the cancellation fee is USD 799!

Any intel on availability of upgrades (mind you I am only Gold). Might just keep aloft if their keyless is working as it should to avoid dealing with actual human beings.
My post you quoted said the Sheraton had MUCH better upgrade chances.

There won't be any upgrade at the aLoft. They have 2 suites in the whole property and if they aren't booked, they're either vacant or given as upgrades to Plats either because of high occupancy or repeat visitor status.

As with most any aloft, you get what you booked and the "upgrades" aren't very meaningful.

The Sheraton has multiple room categories and much more inventory for any upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.