Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn Maui Wailea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence Inn Maui Wailea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by jm1991
Why is Costco on the list? As a place for a light affordable lunch? Lol
Costco has a lot of Hawaiian memorabilia, including some quality Hawaiian shirts and food stuffs. Plus $23 umbrellas vs paying $50 per day for a rental.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
My recent stay with mouse

I had a 2 night stay here recently (using points) and during my last night, a mouse run across the kitchen floor. I took the picture below and I also have a video after it came back out for the 3rd time. I called the FD to inform them of the mouse. It was past midnight and my mother was asleep when this happened. I did not take the offer for a room change because my mom would not have slept the rest of the night if she knows mouse are running around guest rooms. I asked for a trap (2nd pic) hoping it would trap it as the mouse was actively going into the kitchen. I myself had to try to sleep knowing this thing was still running around.

The next day, they took the trap but it did not trap the mouse. The FD manager comped my 1 night parking fee and gave the excuse that the nearby construction increased the chances of mouse in room

I was too tired to respond due to lack of sleep and I had a flight to catch. Looking back, I should have asked for the return of 1 night points.

I will try to post the vid as I can't figure out how to do it yet.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Nov 1, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:36 pm
pjs

Mouse surprises notwithstanding, we have a stay booked here for Spring Break 2019 using a 7 night travel package cert. As a Platinum, any experiences with upgrades to 2BR suites? My teens will be much more pleasant if we have more room. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
There's a Costco on each of the islands of Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai and they all sell beer, wine, and spirits. There are 4 Costco stores on Oahu but I've never been to any of them). Their booze prices are good compared to local stores (not as good as mainland Costco, but definitely better than local).
It should probably also be noted that Hawaii is one of those states where a membership is not necessary to purchase alcohol at Costco. I have never taken advantage of this on any of the islands, but recently became aware of this little hack here in Colorado.

Note the tip that some employees may not be aware of this under item number one:

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/...t-a-membership
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Is it possible to get a 2-bedroom studio and just pay one regular 7-night certificate or 210K points for the studio ?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Had a very nice 5 night stay with Family. Used points. As PP, upgrade to high floor, ocean view, 1 Bedroom suite.
My wife was very satisfied that we chose this hotel since it was very kid friendly, not too big, pool chairs always available, even free cabanas.
Having the 1 bedroom suite made a huge difference.
Housekeeping did a great job, washing dishes and also vacuuming sand.
Even though I had a rental car, we walked to beach 1 day, the other days we took shuttle which was fast and convenient.
You simply can't compare an ocean front resort like the Andaz or Four Seasons to this hotel, but overall it is a very nice property, and I saved a lot of $ by not paying for resort fees and breakfast buffet. I was also able to stock up my fridge with beer and drinks . We used the grills and cooked many meals in the kitchenette.

OT - We saw construction in front of hotel, I was told it is rumored to be an Adults Only Autograph collection hotel. Not sure how tall it will be, may block the hotel's ocean view.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:43 pm

Upgrades are almost non existence at this hotel beyond a view upgrade but in a like room category. I wouldn’t plan on booking a studio and hoping to land 2 BR suite.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by FF524
Upgrades are almost non existence at this hotel beyond a view upgrade but in a like room category. I wouldn’t plan on booking a studio and hoping to land 2 BR suite.
Twice in 2018 I was upgraded from Studio to 1BR so it exists. I don’t think there are many 2BR suites on the property so yes, not likely getting a 2BR from studio.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by FF524
Obviously depends on your status, length of stay, and inventory.

But I stayed on points during prime Thanksgiving for 5 nights when hotel was sold out and was upgraded from basic studio garden, to 1 BR, high floor, ocean view. I asked about 2Br and I was told that they are consistently sold out because people actually pay $ for them.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:16 am
pjs

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Obviously depends on your status, length of stay, and inventory.

But I stayed on points during prime Thanksgiving for 5 nights when hotel was sold out and was upgraded from basic studio garden, to 1 BR, high floor, ocean view. I asked about 2Br and I was told that they are consistently sold out because people actually pay $ for them.
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why someone would pay $900+ for a 2BR suite at this hotel instead of $4-500 (or less) for a 2BR condo on the beach. Makes no sense to me. We can make do with a 2 queen 1 BR suite or studio as one of our teens will be fine camping on the sofa bed, but the other one is more of a princess . Will email the GM in advance as that has paid dividends at other properties for me.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why someone would pay $900+ for a 2BR suite at this hotel instead of $4-500 (or less) for a 2BR condo on the beach. Makes no sense to me.
My guess is surety, that is, knowing what you're going to get with a Residence Inn (and having a reasonable expectation that if there are problems, someone on site will be empowered and motivated to correct them). When renting a condo, either directly from an owner or via AirBNB, one is taking a risk. Some people don't want to take that risk, especially when flying a large family all the way to Maui for what is supposed to be a special trip.

It's the same reason McDonald's or Starbucks franchises can survive in close proximity to far superior local burger and coffee places--with the chains, people know what they're going to get.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
My guess is surety, that is, knowing what you're going to get with a Residence Inn (and having a reasonable expectation that if there are problems, someone on site will be empowered and motivated to correct them). When renting a condo, either directly from an owner or via AirBNB, one is taking a risk. Some people don't want to take that risk, especially when flying a large family all the way to Maui for what is supposed to be a special trip.

It's the same reason McDonald's or Starbucks franchises can survive in close proximity to far superior local burger and coffee places--with the chains, people know what they're going to get.
Or such a decision is driven by the prince/princess's "tastes"...

David
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why someone would pay $900+ for a 2BR suite at this hotel instead of $4-500 (or less) for a 2BR condo on the beach. Makes no sense to me. We can make do with a 2 queen 1 BR suite or studio as one of our teens will be fine camping on the sofa bed, but the other one is more of a princess . Will email the GM in advance as that has paid dividends at other properties for me.
I don't get it either. We paid less than $300/nt for a 2BR/2BA condo within walking distance to this hotel last year.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks for the info. I can't understand why someone would pay $900+ for a 2BR suite at this hotel instead of $4-500 (or less) for a 2BR condo on the beach. Makes no sense to me.
The answer is very simple, highly discounted extended stays.

During my stay I met some military guys, also a government contractor staying long term. I guess the US government is more likely to pay for a RI than the Andaz or Wailea. I would also guess insurance claims?

The hotel likes to have the guaranteed long term income, even if it is discounted, than giving it away to dykwia for free.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:48 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
The answer is very simple, highly discounted extended stays.

During my stay I met some military guys, also a government contractor staying long term. I guess the US government is more likely to pay for a RI than the Andaz or Wailea. I would also guess insurance claims?

The hotel likes to have the guaranteed long term income, even if it is discounted, than giving it away to dykwia for free.
Good point. I think government workers get the last paid room even if it's a 2BR suite. I sometimes forget that people are still working when I'm on vacation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.